Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    I'm sticking more to single-player online stuff because other people are pure scum. Unless it's Splatoon you can forget about any team work.
    I don't play online at all anymore. Its just a pit of vipers.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
      Gamers annoy me. Not all of them obviously (I'm pretty cool after all) but, as a collective, gamers have a disproportionately high number of twits.

Example 1: Playing Dark Souls

Example 2: Again, playing Dark Souls
      Maybe stop playing Dark Souls?

I prefer co-op games and I've met some sound people on games like Red Dead Redemption, EDF 2025 and Insect Armageddon, Monster Hunter World, Dead Rising: OTR and Lost Planet 2.

Comment

I'm sticking more to single-player online stuff because other people are pure scum.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Maybe stop playing Dark Souls?
        I could never do that. Playing Dark Souls III in pvp/co-op has become an absolute staple of mine over the last 18 months (ever since the second DLC was released) and it's a game I enjoy playing as much as any. I think I could have elaborated better with regards to being messaged by a lot of twits, I don't think they're twits because they're rude or hateful. I think they're twits because they say unintelligent things: "Git gud, noob", "I ****ed your mom", "Nigger lover", "faggot", those are the kind of things I hear most and those are prefabricated messages. Boring messages. Unconscious messages. Offensive in a way too, but I don't mind offensive opinions when communicated with sincerity, or originality or a little wit. If someone hates homosexuals, they're free to do so, but at least do it with some style, do it with some thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          How Nintendo insist on reversing the face buttons on their pads.
          I agree with this.

I'm playing Mario Odyssey with my son and he thinks I'm an oaf for cancelling when I mean to confirm and vice versa.

I keep checking the map for moons and instead of cancelling and heading off, I end up flying off to where I already am!

Bonus irk: the forum's mobile mode deletes my posts rather than let me edit them.

Comment

Yeah, Charles said he was bringing in a quality control post filter, QC.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              I got the Hori PS4 media remote which is quite similar to that PDP one(in shape, at least). It’s the full-size version. It’s decent(and also controls both my TV and my amp* via IR), but I find the PS4 very occasionally ejects the disc when I press other buttons! I rarely have a disc in there so it's often just those three beeps. It also hasn't happened while watching a BR/DVD... yet. Only during Netflix or the XMB.

* it can't turn the amp on/off so I have to do that via other means. It's actually a very old Pioneer hi-fi(with MD and DVD drives!) so the fact I can control it at all is nice.
              I can turn on a zillion devices with my Harmony remote from lightbulbs to projectors, but not the PS4. You can't even get an adaptor like you could with the PS3.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                I agree with this.

I'm playing Mario Odyssey with my son and he thinks I'm an oaf for cancelling when I mean to confirm and vice versa.

I keep checking the map for moons and instead of cancelling and heading off, I end up flying off to where I already am!

Bonus irk: the forum's mobile mode deletes my posts rather than let me edit them.
                Turn the phone sideways or something. The button detection seems off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Yeah, I'm not seeing any logic to where they put their As and Bs.
                  For me my hand always naturally rests over their A button placement. I have to move it to hit B.

The same logic is applied to X and O on the PSX. O should be confirm and X should be cancel, this is generally reversed for the west for whatever reason.

Comment

For me my hand always naturally rests over their A button placement. I have to move it to hit B.

The same logic is applied to X and O on the PSX. O should be confirm and X should be cancel, this is generally reversed for the west for whatever reason.
                    This is a really finnicky irk, but I dislike it when people call the "X" button "Ex", as opposed to "Cross".

Then again this is to prevent confusion when talking about multi-format games, as the "X" button on the Xbox is where the Square is on Playstation.

Comment

I hate the PS button swapping. I don't understand why Sony swapped them in the West.

This affects me on both PS3 and PS4. I buy almost all my digital games from the UK/US stores(where X is confirm, O is cancel) but my PS3 and PS4 are both Japanese, so it's O to confirm and X to cancel in the XMB. My wife gets confused but I'm used to it.

The trouble is some games stick to their guns, but others appear to base the button functions on the console region. So some of my UK/US games use O for confirm, others don't.

The worst is Shenmue(UK PSN Store). You'll love this:

During my first QTE cutscene, X and O were swapped, so when X flashed on the screen, I had to press O(and vice-versa). When this first happened, I promptly headed to the arcade to play the QTE punching game but the buttons worked properly in that!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        This is a really finnicky irk, but I dislike it when people call the "X" button "Ex", as opposed to "Cross".
                        I think I've always said "Ex". Probably always will.
                        Worth noting if I want to wind you up on a couch co-op gaming session.

This is a "cross button"

Comment

Well you know there’s always that idiom to remind you if it’s cross or ex.

Cross marks the spot...

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                            Well you know there’s always that idiom to remind you if it’s cross or ex.

Cross marks the spot...
                            Ha ha ha, for a second I was thinking "No, you fool it's X marks.... ah, I get it!"

Need a bit more caffeine, I think!

Comment

I'd like to confuse matters further. On Wikipedia it says: 'In an interview with Teiyu Goto, designer of the original PlayStation Controller, he explained what the symbols mean: The circle and cross represent "yes" and "no," respectively'.
                              The page refer to it as 'Cross' here, but it could just be that the writer of the Wiki Page wrote 'cross' rather than Teiyu Goto referring to it as a 'Cross'.

However, if X represents No, then this Wikipage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_mark) suggests that 'Cross' and 'Ex' can be used.

I call the X button 'Ex' but if i'm marking a box with a X, I say i'm putting a 'Cross' in the box....

I hope this is as clear as mud.

Comment

What, nobody calls it the Diagonal Plus button?

Comment

Working...
                                X