Streets of rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I would think that artists could choose from a range of styles when creating a 2D game, so maybe the people behind SOR4 could have been clever and delivered a style that has retro charm as well as the niceties afforded by using modern hardware.
    They should have spoken to you first

Leon, how do you suggest our game should look?
    'Not like that, but I'm unable to provide examples of things I do like'

How about we redraw the original pixel art?
    No, it looks tacky

I think that it looks pretty nice as far as these types of games go.
    It looks infinitely more pleasingly than the other attempts to ressurrect that 80's movie street gang vibe.
    See :
    Raging Justice

Streets of Rage 4 : Dreamcast

Streets of Rage Prototype

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      It's a shame that Sega didn't commit to making SOR4 a top quality project
      Leon, this is why people seem to be arguing with you. You talk about your opinion, then you come out with objective statements like this.

I don't like Damien Hurst's art, but I don't say it's "poor quality" just because I don't like it. His pickled sheep are probably very high quality, even if I think they barely qualify as art.

Your dislike does not make the game poor quality, suggest lack of skill, effort, or cleverness. It's just a very polished piece of work that you don't personally like. I think what Sega has made is of good quality.
      Last edited by Asura; 30-12-2018, 12:31.

Comment

Yep. That's it exactly. And when it's explained, you make a choice to remain willfully ignorant of the process and work and skill involved. So not only is your view uninformed and dismissive of those who put in the work you choose not to comprehend but it becomes repetitive as you default to the same terms each time and then don't get why people aren't having a go at others who simply don't like the style. It's packagegate all over again. You're a good guy, dude, and I love the stuff you post and topics to start but you are spot on that other people have said they don't like the style and nobody is having a go at them and it's worth considering what the difference is. As for this particular topic, I can't discuss it with you further so you're best leaving me out of it from here.

Comment

It's is quite unlikely to be poor quality , as the same studio who did the Wonder Boy game last year, which also got berated for looking different

I actually think that style is more pleasing than the attempts to be sympathetic to pixel art , as shown in the more recent Monster Boy game

Comment

Why? Why is this argument back again?

Comment

Can't we just agree to disagree people? Some of us like the look of it, some of us don't. I know its SOR and we all kind of feel passionate about it, but at the end of the day it's a bit of entertainment. It's ultimately designed for us to just have some fun, that's all.

Comment

I still like it. I. Not really bothered about replicating early 90s visuals too closely. That was then - a moment in time. I doubt the original team would have maintained that style forever, anyway. As long as this has the same gameplay essence as the series, it’s fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                  They should have spoken to you first
                  If only, we would have had a much better looking game. While this Art style worked for Wonderboy (which always looked more cartoon-like than SOR) it doesn't work for SOR imo. The griity, decaing rundown backrounds from the orignal are wasted with this new cartoon look.

But hey its SEGA and I've grown used to letdowns. Here's dreading what Panzer will look like

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post

Leon, how do you suggest our game should look?
                    'Not like that, but I'm unable to provide examples of things I do like'
                    I haven't posted screenshots, but I have expressed a liking for top quality pixel art from Capcom, such as that found in AvP.

When I look at how Capcom's best coin-ops still have art that impresses, I can only wish that SOR4 had a similar style but with some of the benefits modern tech affords.

I know that modern tech offers a world of possibilities when it comes to graphics. I can't agree with people who seem to suggest that the artists behind SOR4 had no choice but to go with the style that we see. I would think talented artists could have approached the graphics in all sorts of ways. So I will say, once again, that graphics more akin to classic Neo Geo and CPS2 arcade games but with some modern benefits, might have made SOR4 a game that really appeals to me.

I know there's the idea that SOR4 is a result of HD and modern art techniques, but I would think a wide range of approaches could have been taken with the art style. Ultimately though, I don't like how SOR4 looks. Other people feel the same, so I don't get why some people are acting like I'm voicing a lone opinion that doesn't have any credence.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Leon, this is why people seem to be arguing with you. You talk about your opinion, then you come out with objective statements like this.
                    I've said plenty of times that the art style chosen looks "cheap" to my eyes. There's something very basic, like clipart about it.

If some people like the 'clipart' sort of style, that's fine. But acting like I'm talking nonsense when I say "clipart style" isn't fair. Other people have agreed with my view of things, so my feelings towards the art style isn't an isolated case and nonsensical. I'm sure a lot of people would get what I'm talking about when I criticise the art.

Of course, people who like the style won't change their mind just because I have explained what I don't like about it. And people who don't like the style aren't going to change their mind because some people say stuff about the artists putting lots of time and energy into their work.

I really can't understand why some people are taking my opinion(that was clearly explained) and acting like I expect everyone to share my feelings and taste in art. I've said plenty of times that if some people like the art style, then good for them. I've just offered my personal opinion and thoughts. The art style looks cheap to my eyes -- and I think a different approach could have been taken with the art direction. So there really isn't any reason to single me out and act like I'm being arrogant and unfair, when all that I've expressed is opinion backed up with reasons and examples.

It does annoy me when people try to paint me to be something I'm not. Anyone who takes the time to read my posts can see that the accusations against me are totally unfair.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Yep. That's it exactly. And when it's explained, you make a choice to remain willfully ignorant of the process and work and skill involved.
                    It has nothing to do with being "ignorant". I've never said anything about the artists not working hard. I've never said that creating the art didn't take a lots of time and effort. So acting like I have said those things is totally against the truth.

I have no idea why some people can't accept that I equate the 'clipart' style with cheapness. That's my personal opinion. The style just looks too basic, which means it has quite a cheap vibe about it.

You've also said that I haven't mentioned examples -- when I clearly have. I've mentioned plenty of times that I think some Neo Geo and Capcom arcade games have 2D art that I still find really attractive. I then suggested that a similar style with the added benefits of modern tech could have been a better choice.

So, if anyone is sitting on the fence wondering "Is Leon being unfair and argumentative?", I'd tell them that some people are being really unfair and stirring up an argument. I really wish some people would stop singling me out and then painting a picture of me that is totally false.

I stand by my opinions and thoughts on SOR4, because I really do think the art style chosen is similar to 'clipart', and that looks weak/cheap to my eyes. Whether the art took months or years to create is a moot point, because I'm just judging the finished product. I don't like the art style irrespective of how much work went into it.

I know this is a pointless debate really, but I have to defend myself against unfair criticism.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-12-2018, 15:52.

Comment

Whole thing looks photoshopped imo.

Comment

I watched the gif again and I never noticed how they juggle the fat man between them. Quite cool.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                          Not... sure... if... serious...

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                            And I get accused of "baiting".

That whole thing with the photoshopped looking image was also strange, because some people said it was photoshopped, but certain people acted like I was the only one who thought so, giving the impression that I was being stupid.

It took an expert who knows why the image looks photoshopped to get to the bottom of the matter. But that didn't mean the image didn't have a 'cut & paste' photoshop look to it. It was created by some strange camera problem rather than deliberately by the person taking the photo. I certainly wasn't embarrassed to learn the truth, simply because most people would say "photoshopped", because that's the effect the camera created. I could take a thousand photos with my camera and not get the same 'cut & paste' effect. It was a very strange thing.

It's a similar situation with this argument. Some people keep going about the art in SOR4 taking time and effort to create, but that won't change the fact that it looks terrible to some people's eyes. People are free to not like the look of something, despite how much work went into it. As others have said -- it's irrelevant how much work goes into graphics, or even a whole game, because people are still free to voice an opinion and share thoughts and feelings.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-12-2018, 17:20.

Comment

Now hey, woah, I’ve never bated in my life.

Comment

Photoshop is a global art tool used across pretty much every industry that handles art, games included. While there are also many custom tools, if you see art you can say it looks photoshopped and you are 100% accurate.

Edit: wait, I missed the joke! Sorry, it’s funny. Do carry on.
                                Last edited by Dogg Thang; 30-12-2018, 17:21.

Comment

Working...
                                X