Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've recently been watching a couple dvd box sets. Yes, dvds! First two seasons of Moonlighting are nearly done. This has become my night-cap watch ... so easy going. The storylines are really no better than re-cycled Hart to Hart yarns (though some are suspiciously Hitchcocky, even riffing on the Vertigo soundtrack) but the chemistry and slick LA vibe carry it along nicely. Then I've been watching Count Arthur Strong. I loved the radio show but never gave the tv show much time for whatever reason. In some ways it's a bit of a sit-com cliche, but in others it's gentle and warm and sometimes surreal and I've really taken to it. Currently halfway through the entire 3-season run. Last ep I watched (The Day The Clocks Went Back) was brilliant.

Comment

For me, the Office US and UK aren't even in the same ballpark.

I did really like the US version, watched it when it was contemporary and ploughed on till season 6, when it started to lose its lustre through repetition.

But for all its merits - there are some really funny jokes, and Carell is great - it's a glossy, slushy, feel-goodery at heart. It's also padded out endlessly. By the time I reached series 6 I felt like we were going around in circles.

The UK version is a compact little realist piece. It's quite a nasty programme in many ways, a raw depiction of wasted potential, unrealised ambition and the essential drudgery of modern working life for most of people.

For me it's a piece of art, whereas The Office US is a sitcom. A good one! But just a sitcom. The Office UK has stuff to say. And that's pretty impressive for a low budget comedy.

Comment

RIP Diana Rigg.

Sad news, one of the great TV and stage actresses of her generation. Joins Honor Blackman, only recently deceased too, in the hall of fame of lost acting talent this year. Of course both were key leads in the original The Avengers and they'll both probably be remembered more for that than any of the many other things they did.

Comment

Finished The Office: Series 02 and the Christmas Special

It's probably where it most deviates from the US version and also where I most enjoyed it. Huge chunks of the special though, Brent is just horrid. Like zero to like at all, it's only those closing scenes with Carol where he's actually not focused on his own hang ups and acts normal thereby impressing her that claws him back and offers a glimmer of hope for him. Presumably the recent film kills that. Though I didn't feel that connected to Tim and Dawn their ending paid off nicely too

Comment

Yeah High Score was great. Left me wanting more. Stuff you wil already know, but the series keeps it fresh by occasionally highlighting unsung heroes and focusing on key moments in gaming i.e. Ultima, Star Fox etc. Hope there will be a second season.

Comment

I binged Cobra Kai to the end of season 2 last night. Absolutely loved it. It’s just the perfect television for me right now - full of heart without being too serious, in terms of what season 2 brings, not sure I feel we needed the presence of the big addition to the Cobra Kai cast because he took attention away from Johnny a little, before the show had hit a point where it needed to mix things up. And yet still, by the end of the season he brought some great moments and also gave context to one of the real highlights of the season for me - the episode with the campfire. Hawk really had a chance to shine this season and is played brilliantly.

And one thing I really liked that I suspect screenwriting teachers would come down hard on is that Daniel was all over the place. He had no idea what he wanted or how to get it and kept changing his mind and yet, for me, it really worked. It’s like he’s trying to live up to Miyagi’s legacy but he just isn’t Miyagi and he still has to fight his own instincts every step of the way. It made him really human.

I think one of the show’s real strengths is the music. The score is fantastic. I think it was mostly the music that had me welling up at that fisherman scene. Such a small scene, just a tiny moment and yet it was really special.

I love the show.

Comment

Speaking of welling up, I finished Schitt’s Creek on Saturday morning. Someone was cutting onions, etc etc.

On Sunday morning I watched the little documentary on it - Best Wishes, Warmest Regards - which left me a blubbering mess.

SC is a beautiful series.

Comment

Just Good Friends: Series 01
                  Old school one here as the missus fancied watching it because she remembered it from seeing it as a kid. I didn't know it was by the same guy who wrote Only Fools. Paul Nicholas' line delivery is weird but enough stuff lands for him, it's impossible to work out why his character is obsessed with Penny though as she's the worst. Special shout out goes to Penny's mother though, the actress absolutely nails her scenes and her and Paul together is almost always gold. Much better than I thought it would be for a small scale 80's sitcom.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    Just Good Friends: Series 01
                    it's impossible to work out why his character is obsessed with Penny though
                    Maybe because she looks like Jan Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I've recently been watching a couple dvd box sets. Yes, dvds! First two seasons of Moonlighting are nearly done. This has become my night-cap watch ... so easy going. The storylines are really no better than re-cycled Hart to Hart yarns (though some are suspiciously Hitchcocky, even riffing on the Vertigo soundtrack) but the chemistry and slick LA vibe carry it along nicely. Then I've been watching Count Arthur Strong. I loved the radio show but never gave the tv show much time for whatever reason. In some ways it's a bit of a sit-com cliche, but in others it's gentle and warm and sometimes surreal and I've really taken to it. Currently halfway through the entire 3-season run. Last ep I watched (The Day The Clocks Went Back) was brilliant.
                      You have impeccable taste, sir. Me and our kid used to watch all the Moonlightings back in the 80s on a Monday night when we shared the same bedroom. Aw, mate, them opening credits, too swoony.

As for Count Arthur, I 'acquired' all the radio shows many years ago and have them all on a memory stick. The TV show is deece...but the radio show...

....IDZFUGGINEPPAAAAYC!!!!!

Comment

I am watching Parks and Recreation for the first time, although I overdosed on it, and am now more than halfway through. One of my friends recommended it and said "he wished he could watch it again for the first time" as his review. It's like a better version of The Office in my opinion. In that, it is actually funny.
                        Last edited by CAPCOM; 15-09-2020, 20:12.

Comment

My son's watching Breaking Bad at present and I was drawn in to watching a couple of eps with him last night. Doesn't matter when I go back to this show, whatever stage it's at, it always pulls me right back in.

Comment

When anyone here talks about their kids, I instantly picture toddlers. Breaking Bad is not suitable for toddlers. You are a bad parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              When anyone here talks about their kids, I instantly picture toddlers. Breaking Bad is not suitable for toddlers. You are a bad parent.
                              Toddlers prefer Breaking Dad

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                                I see the US one as decent but a completely different thang.
                                Yeah, the US version is completely different. I really appreciate the low key style of the UK original, so I had a negative feeling that the American version might be obnoxious and annoying, but the producers did a brilliant job of making it feel quite subtle and charming. It really got into its stride after a few seasons. It was great when James Spader appeared.
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-09-2020, 00:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X