CCNA + MCP course... in Japanese!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCNA + MCP course... in Japanese!

First of all, I get that this is the coding forum but tough tiddly. There's only one other thread in here and we all know how that's turning out.

Anyway, I visited a school in Ikebukuro and am hopefully signing up for a CCNA+MCP(Win2012) course this week. My company is covering the costs.

Regarding the CCNA, I've already played a fair bit with our Cisco Catalyst switches(configured 10+ switches, set them up in different stacks, created VLANs...) and replaced our Cisco router(copied the config over and then called our contracted maintenance company when some encrypted tunneling didn't work!), but my IT knowledge is usually gained while doing the tasks themselves so I've no experience of configuring any of this stuff from scratch.

Regarding the MCP, the rep told me that, because MS is moving towards Azure, such qualifications might be less useful so the school will let me pick their Server 2012 or the Azure course. They had a Server 2016 course but recently got rid of it.

I'm going for Server 2012 because, while we do use Azure stuff(Azure AD globally, and Azure SQL servers for our Japan office), our physical/virtual servers(Server 2012/2016/2019) are still on-site and it would be good to learn the basics.

Regarding everything being in Japanese, that might be tough but I'll see how I manage. When the guy showed me a question from the mock test, I got the answer right so I'm confident

The school gives you two years of access to their resources. The lessons are all videos that you watch either at the school or from home, and there's a teacher on-site who's available to help when needed(in-person or over Skype).

I didn't really ask much about the MCP but for the CCNA practical work, we'd RDP into Windows machines that are connected to physical switches/routers via console cable. I also have a few spare Catalyst switches and old ISR routers at work to practice on.

I know there's a wealth of free online stuff which I'll probably use if/when I get stuck with the Japanese, so I'll poke around and hopefully some helpful souls on here can offer some advice/links. I'm rubbish at self-study, so I'm hoping this weird half-way house will teach me that skill as well!

I don't even know what my question is, but just thought I'd make this thread. And in keeping with the Japanese theme:

LET'S CCNA!

Go for it!!!

Comment

I did mine years ago, I was one of only two people to finish the course

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
        I did mine years ago, I was one of only two people to finish the course
        My colleague told me the pass rate was around 20% when he was self-studying for his CCNA. He's taking the same course I am so we can work together which will be handy.

I've sent a PDF of the costs and am waiting for authorisation from work(it's £2500 so it needs a stamp of approval) before I can sign up.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
          My colleague told me the pass rate was around 20% when he was self-studying for his CCNA. He's taking the same course I am so we can work together which will be handy.

I've sent a PDF of the costs and am waiting for authorisation from work(it's £2500 so it needs a stamp of approval) before I can sign up.
          Even back then there was a ton of resources online, I enjoyed it, but it made all the difference having a good computer knowledge to start with. I was lucky in that the lecturer was superb, naturally gifted in the art of teaching knowledge, it was all manually written boardwork explanations too.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
            Anyway, I visited a school in Ikebukuro and am hopefully signing up for a CCNA+MCP(Win2012) course this week. My company is covering the costs.
            So, what you're saying is, is that there's a course that pays you to be a programmer?

Comment

My degree had a bunch of modules that were designed to parallel a CCNA (and the first two bits of the CCNP), and I'm sure there was the opportunity for some kind of discount if you went on to actually take the qualifications after. Kinda stupidly, I didn't them up on that, but at the same time, it's not something I've come to rely on with the direction my career went anyway. But it's a good qualification and definitely something to do if you're in that line of work - even without the actual qualification it's probably one of the most impressive name drops in my academic record!

Comment

Working...
              X