No announcement yet.

The Relationship Thread II: Lost in that Last Goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to watch Sex & the City with the wife - she still has the DVD's upstairs.

Made us laugh, it was pretty edgy at the time, plus I really liked how they dressed Mr Big and I used to fancy the pants of SJP so bonusworthy.

Comment

Nearly went on a date. Getting on well on text and phone, but ghosted before final arrangements. Sheesh

Comment

My missus is just wrapping up a rewatch of Sex and the City, it's painfully bad. You could argue it had tinges of Always Sunny in it though, they all are - but Carrie much more by a long, long shot - terrible, terrible people.

Comment

My wife was a fan of that back in the day but rewatched a few eps recently and came to the same conclusion as you. Vacuous self-obsessed women. She said it was really weird how different she perceives the show now and thinks it says really bad things about women to women. And yet when it aired first, she got a huge amount from it. A thing of its time perhaps or, more likely, a show designed for a very particular audience at a particular time in their lives.

Comment

It felt like it was taken as a spearhead of the whole girl power era but other than self-absorbed behaviour it's primarily four women spending years defining themselves and being beholden to the men they're interested in. I imagine there's some fascinating studies out there on it

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              four women spending years defining themselves and being beholden to the men they're interested in.
              That's exactly what my wife said. Wait, are you my wife?

Comment

I had wondered how to tell you...

Comment

I can just imagine Dogg getting into bed tonight and being like "I love that thing you did in the retro folder today, I'd totally forgotten about Gun Valkyrie".

And yeah, I agree with you both, and Mrs Dogg, regarding Sex and the City. I watched it when I was at uni (~10 years ago) as I was going out with a girl that was obsessed with it, and I can see why it was such a phenomenon - it's very well put together. I wouldn't agree that it's painfully bad from memory, but I'd need to refresh my memory to say for certain.

But the messages in it are just weird and already feel horribly dated. It was heralded as a victory for female empowerment but practically every episode fails the Bechtel test multiple times!

Definitely a product of its time, IMO. There's also just something ineffably naff about it. It's insanely uncool.

Comment

I don't know, I thought Kim C was pretty effable back then.

Comment

So, the peeps in the WhatsApp for the meet up this weekend knew a few days ago that I wasn't able to make it sadly.

My first child decided it was better to come out early at 31 weeks instead of staying in the womb (baby, it's cold outside!!!) so late on Wednesday, Kathryn came into the world and straight into an incubator. Thankfully she is doing excellently, more so than some of the other later babies that have arrived in neo natal. It's going to be a wait and see for the next few weeks but hopefully she will develop and be allowed home sometime between mid January and mid February. So the last few days have been a blur and chaotic...!
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

CONGLATURATION!

You could say that the past few days have been...

...Mayhem.

(yeahhhhhh)

Comment

Seems like pretty extreme lengths to get out of the meet up. You could have just said you “had a thing” or were “under the weather”. Still, great that your first child’s first act in the world is to get you out of a commitment you got yourself into before you knew what you were doing. That’s true teamwork and will continue from now on (with likely a short break in her teenage years). Congratulations! Hope all goes brilliantly!

Comment

Congratulations, [MENTION=368]Mayhem[/MENTION]!

Really pleased for you, sir!

Sounds like there's a bit of stress straight out of the door, but the docs will help with everything.

Don't forget, we have the Parenting thread for all sorts of "professional" parenting advice!

Comment

Thanks, and hah yeah, I meant to put that post in the parenting thread, not here!

Still, this is the more exciting and funny thread for things going on...!
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Yay! New little awesome person in the world!

Comment

Working...
                                X