Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tories shouldn’t need a manifesto. They should be able to just say hey, check out what we’ve done in the last 9 years and drop the mic. But if people really thought about that they’d get slaughtered. So what they’re really saying is ok we’ve been absolutely awful in every way for 9 years but trust us, we know what we’re doing.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      Because I use "most recent". And because I have lots of friends who will vote tory and see all their anti Labour memes, which by your reasoning I should not be seeing.
      There are plenty of positive posts out there, alhough positive depends on whether you agree with Tory policies and there are plenty of people sharing them. The official Tory Facebook group is not where the majoriy of the more dubious memes come from.

Whether you sort by most recent or not, Facebook's feed is still sanitised - I certainly wouldn't use Facebook as a barometer of the country.
      Last edited by MartyG; 09-12-2019, 18:39.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        Whether you sort by most recent or not, Facebook's feed is still sanitised - I certainly wouldn't use Facebook as a barometer of the country.
        Yeah, sure you are right.

Comment

Brad is spot on, though. They had 9 years to deliver some of that stuff and some of it is only needed as a direct result of cuts they made. Anyone voting Tory and ignoring the recent history is a mug.

Comment

I think if you look at it that way, you're probably going to be a bit surprised if Johnson gets his majority.

A better way of looking at it would be to follow Ashcroft's polling which is quite involved and explores the reasons people are deciding to vote the way they are

My latest 4,000-sample poll, conducted between Friday and Monday, finds little change in the overall picture, with Labour continuing to do better among its former voters than was the case at the start of the campaign. The most noticed specific election stores of the last few days were promises of extra nurses, the Channel 4 climate debate, the Labour antisemitism controversy, and the question of whether Boris Johnson will be interviewed by Andrew Neil.   ...

Comment

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I’m not surprised there are a lot of mugs.

Comment

I’ve had this conversation with my stepdad three times now:

Me: So you are in favour of Brexit, yes?
                Him: Yes. I want out of Europe.
                Me: Why?
                Him: Because we send too much money there. They make our laws. We need to take back control.
                Me: Ok. So who are you going to vote for?
                Him: Tory.
                Me: They are a one-chant pony. Get Brexit Done is just a catchphrase. Like something from a Croft/Perry sitcom.
                Him: I’m voting Tory so we can take back control.
                Me: Surely Labour are best positioned to take back control? They want to nationalise things. So the state has control. And we elect politicians. So we are in control.
                Him: Nationalisation doesn’t work. I lived in the 70s.
                Me: It’s different now. It works in dozens of other countries.
                Him: It’s communist.
                Me: It’s social democracy. Dozens of countries have nationalised industries because they’re not dumb enough to relinquish their infrastructure and utilities. They are national assets and should oil the cogs of the economy. They shouldn’t be stripped back and profiteered from.
                Him: It’s communist. Our rail is better now.
                Me: It’s not. Ticket prices are ludicrous. Railtrack were so bad at cutting corners for profit that it resulted in several accidents and deaths. We had to nationalise it to get it fit for purpose. All these two-bit operators do not make an integrated, effective rail network. Waiting times are shocking. We subsidise it for more money now than we paid for it when we owned it. The East Coast line was terrible in private hands. It was nationalised and improved hugely. It actually turned a profit that could be used to upgrade stock and maintenance, rather than line the pockets of shareholders. When it became a success the Tories privatised it again. The state runs the railways best. In fact, the governments of other countries own parts of our network. That’s ludicrous. Nationalisation is only a dirty word in this country, where the rail industry is crap.
                Him: I don’t like nationalisation.
                Me: So basically you don’t want to take back control. You want the governments and companies of other countries to own our stuff. And make money off it. While we suffer. What suckers we are!
                Him: *silence*
                Last edited by prinnysquad; 09-12-2019, 19:17.

Comment

Tories accused of inventing an assault on a Tory aide to distract from the Leeds boy story

Comment

Outrageous.

Peston apologised for spreading a complete lie fed to him by ‘Tory senior sources’.
                    That Kuenssberg arse admitted it was bunk, but took a lot longer to apologise. She claimed two sources had fed her the story.

I don’t know what’s more worrying. Tory lies AGAIN, or the lack of journalistic ability and integrity in today’s ‘respected’ figureheads of the profession. To regurgitate nonsense without checking sources is a failure of the basics of journalistic enquiry. These clowns are just mouthpieces of the Tories, especially Kuenssberg, who is a dyed-in-the-wool blue.

The prevalence of lies coming from this government, and the lack of scrutiny these face from a media all-too desperate to parrot them, is hugely worrying. It’s the basics of Orwell’s vision. The lies becoming the reality. The vast majority of the thousands of Tory ads on social media are full of lies. This becomes the groupthink. With people like Peston uncritically airing lies, the damage is done, regardless of apologies.

Comment

It underlines just how far UK politics have strayed and how desperately dumb much of the UK public is. Even if you stand firmly behind Brexit being delivered based on the first referendum result still, we now have things being decided by a multi-pledged General Election led by a party who has completely and utterly discarded proper process, integrity, decency, moral coding and the literal truth itself for self-gain. Any notion of preserving democracy with Brexit is beyond dead even for staunch followers and it's an utter disgrace that that isn't obvious to all. Whatever way each person voted, Brexit formally failed and ended in 2019. What's going on now is a different battle, it's Remain versus Corruption.

Comment

Kuenssberg is a govenment Shill. Time and time again she has been caught Tweeting things like "Despite widespread suspicion, Number 10 does genuinely want a deal" and editing Corbyns answer on Police using firearms to make it look like he is against Policing in general. You only have to google her name and you'll be presented with stories of her getting in to trouble. I'd say I'm amazed she's kept her job, but this is the BBC, it's ran by the Torys.

Comment

There is a Facebook page that randomly came up on my feed last night called Right to rent, Right to buy Right to own, with a note that it was sponsored by Jennifer Rebecca Powers. Its hilariously obvious its paid by the tories, saying how corbyn wants to destroy the traditions of landlords and destroy their livelyhoods. Of course her name has disappeared off the website this morning.

Comment

Just on the point of Landlords, I was watching Homes Under the Hammer (quality programming) and they spoke to a couple that owned 900 homes that they rented out. They were buying 30 a week! How is this allowed??

Comment

Kuenssberg is a joke of a journalist. I've lost all respect for her.
                              I can go home and bingewatch some telly because I was told it was okay by "Senior Government officials".

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X