(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a mammoth MD/MCD sesh yesterday, lasting around 10hrs:

Xeno Crisis - poured quite a few hours into this since getting it and still can’t get beyond the third level. On easy mode as well! Maybe I’m just sh*te but trying to roll around and fire in the right direction when bullets are flying in from every angle just seems a bit too much. Fantastic game though and amazing production values.

Tanglewood - still playing through this. It’s nice to play in short sessions, and a relaxing diversion from Xeno Crisis. Finished a chapter and a half last night to take me up to the sixth chapter and boy does it looking striking with your sprite just a shadow and an amazing, colourful sunset in the background. It’s almost the perfect blend of classic retro gaming with modern design and aesthetics.

Cobra Command - one of my guilty pleasures. Got where I always manage to get pretty much every time without losing a life - The Cave - and then die as the ruthless timing you need to hit the targets seems all too impossible. Almost two decades on from its original release, I wonder if I will ever finish it.

Sol Feace - sorry, another guilty pleasure. Couldn’t get past the third level. A sure sign of my ageing mind and body not having the reactions I once did as I used to get up to at least the fourth level without using a continue. Fantastic soundtrack.

Keio Yugekitai - I don’t know why but the Japanese version seems brutally hard In comparison to the PAL version I used to play back in the day. What is really frustrating is the Gradius effect whereby once you lose a life, you’re effectively a sitting duck stripped of all your power ups. The difference this time is unlike Gradius you respawn instantly, and in order to get your ‘option’ craft you must refrain from shooting for a set period of time. Well during a boss battle where projectiles are flying towards you left, right and centre, and when, like in most shmups, the best form of defence is attack to stop all those bullets coming towards you, trying to avoid it all and not shoot is nigh on impossible, and without those options your ship is grossly under equipped to deal with the onslaught. So sometimes the best course of action is to keep dying and lose a precious continue to put you back to the beginning of the level so you can power up once more. In spite of the frustration it’s still a very enjoyable shmup and a MCD exclusive that is worth playing. I didn’t make it past the second boss and, confession time, never have. Yes I am rubbish at games.

Streets of Rage - gave the original a whirl and remembered it’s quite a bit more challenging than its sequel thanks to how you need to manage crowd control. It’s just a little trickier due to the more limited moveset and lack of melee moves. Still nowhere near Final Fight levels of trickiness, although I do love FF for its need to employ strategy in attack patterns. I bumbled my way to the final level by spamming cop cars on bosses but never made it to Mr Big himself. I still wonder how they got a cop car on the boat level...

Revenge of Shinobi - finished up with this stonking classic of a game. Played it a few times recently as God intended, ie with limited shurikens, and never got past the motorway/bridge level as it requires a lot of super jumps/throws to beat those bloody nuns. Decided f*ck it, infinite shurikens are the way forward and got a lot further in the game this time. It’s much more enjoyable when you can relentlessly super jump and toss stars out like they’re going out of fashion!
    Last edited by samanosuke; 24-12-2019, 15:29.

Comment

Good little lineup that! Probably a very controversial view, but I prefer the original Streets of Rage to the second one (even though I know the second is clearly better). Even back in the day I did. It's definitely more difficult.

Sol-Feace is good too! I like it, perfectly good shooter of the time. Nothing radical but it's a solid title I think, soundtrack is great like you say.

Comment

Got one of them chinese 161 in 1 carts for AES which are now under a tonne. And after some early problems to the point of seriously considering sending it back .....a change of power supply sorted it out! It's not perfect but the value is great enjoying it immensely.

Mainly been on Ultimate 11 and Pulstar.

If image embedding is a knob : Neo Geo AES LAST RESORT https://imgur.com/gallery/90Vs7mz
        Last edited by Baseley09; 24-12-2019, 23:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
          Good little lineup that! Probably a very controversial view, but I prefer the original Streets of Rage to the second one (even though I know the second is clearly better). Even back in the day I did. It's definitely more difficult.

Sol-Feace is good too! I like it, perfectly good shooter of the time. Nothing radical but it's a solid title I think, soundtrack is great like you say.
          I wouldn’t go as far as to say I prefer the original SoR to its sequel which, let’s be frank, is superior in just about every department, but I do prefer the grittiness of the original. Its locales definitely seem darker and more crime-infested than those in the sequel, and for sure more real without all the aliens and pirate ship nonsense.

I do like Sol Feace and feels like it gets a lot more stick than it deserves. Sure, it does little to add to the genre, but it makes up for it in its speed, its playability, and that epic soundtrack is to die for, especially the level 2 tune with all those sweeping arpeggios.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            I do like Sol Feace and feels like it gets a lot more stick than it deserves. Sure, it does little to add to the genre, but it makes up for it in its speed, its playability, and that epic soundtrack is to die for, especially the level 2 tune with all those sweeping arpeggios.
            I reckon most of the reason it gets a bit of stick is that it was a readily available pack-in title so there's a bit of understandable "I played this to death when I had a new system" weariness about it, maybe a pinch of snobbery for some since it's a fiver wherever Mega CDs are sold. I suppose there's the fact it doesn't really use much of the Mega CD's abilities but that shouldn't be as much of a thing nowadays. It's not as good as Thunderforce III, but it's miles better than the bottom row of MD shooters it gets lumped in with - middling-to-lousy things like Curse or XDR: X-Dazedly Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
              I reckon most of the reason it gets a bit of stick is that it was a readily available pack-in title so there's a bit of understandable "I played this to death when I had a new system" weariness about it, maybe a pinch of snobbery for some since it's a fiver wherever Mega CDs are sold. I suppose there's the fact it doesn't really use much of the Mega CD's abilities but that shouldn't be as much of a thing nowadays. It's not as good as Thunderforce III, but it's miles better than the bottom row of MD shooters it gets lumped in with - middling-to-lousy things like Curse or XDR: X-Dazedly Ray.
              Agree 100%. I bet if it were as rare as Eliminate Down the Youtube community would be wanking themselves senseless over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post

If image embedding is a knob : Neo Geo AES LAST RESORT https://imgur.com/gallery/90Vs7mz
                Love the atmosphere in Last Resort.

I might take a look at buying one of those carts for my AES, seeing I haven't bought the NEOSD.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

Revenge of Shinobi - finished up with this stonking classic of a game. Played it a few times recently as God intended, ie with limited shurikens, and never got past the motorway/bridge level as it requires a lot of super jumps/throws to beat those bloody nuns. Decided f*ck it, infinite shurikens are the way forward and got a lot further in the game this time. It’s much more enjoyable when you can relentlessly super jump and toss stars out like they’re going out of fashion!
                  To me, that game was the closest SEGA got to the perfection of Mario IV. Its my fav In-House SEGA Mega Drive game and way better than any of the Sonic games. Still looks sounds and plays amazing to this very day

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    To me, that game was the closest SEGA got to the perfection of Mario IV. Its my fav In-House SEGA Mega Drive game and way better than any of the Sonic games. Still looks sounds and plays amazing to this very day
                    Yeah but *that* jump on level 7... that’s up (down?) there with the regenerating wall in Airwolf for the Speccy for throwing stuff, swearing profusely and getting subsequent earache from the missus moments.

You’re right though, it is a great game, and a feather in the MD’s cap during the 16-bit wars.

Comment

I was never that impressed with Super Shinobi to be honest, it felt like the game was wading through quicksand rather than the pinpoint quickness of the original arcade game. There must be something that I’m missing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        Today, I finally released my QL adventure game for free as a surprise Christmas gift for the QL community!

Fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                          Fantastic!
                          Thank you, I just hope lots of people play it, it’s taken me years

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                              Thank you, I just hope lots of people play it, it’s taken me years
                              Would love to see a walkthrough of it

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                Love the atmosphere in Last Resort.

I might take a look at buying one of those carts for my AES, seeing I haven't bought the NEOSD.
                                Value for money compared to other products seems pretty good, since my initial probs it's barely skipped a beat most games are perfect tho for sure exceptions exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X