No announcement yet.

Mega Drive Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol that didn’t take them long, a good sign I can maybe add in magical flying hat at some point.

Comment

The previously written message below, in the spoiler tags, which was taken from a Reddit comment, has now been debunked as false info.

On the PAL mini you can access US games via the Korean language menu.

Fun times! Europe gets shafted just like it did in the 50Hz PAL era.

**** PAL. I'm ordering a Japanese unit (anyone wanna sell one?) or US unit.

Saw on the Reddit hacking thread:
      Fun fact: The PAL version cannot access the US region version of the games, only the JP and EU versions.

As such, brings up the question; is the PAL SKU altered in any other way compared to the JP/US SKUs? Although it is probably not, if Sega reduced the amount of on-board flash memory because the PAL version does not offer access to the US editions of the titles (which are stored as separate ROMs) then it could present challenges when it comes to hacking the PAL SKU of the console.

Even without further changes having been made, there will probably need to be some special considerations when hacking the PAL SKU of the console if UI changes have been made to differentiate the on-board software from the JP/US counterparts, even if those changes are minuscule in nature.

Last edited by Sketcz; 26-09-2019, 10:30.

Comment

I'm curious if a hacked PS One Mini runs emulation as good, if not better than the MD Mini.

Comment

I think mine is arriving today, even though it was meant to be tomorrow. Just dropped the wife off at Glasgow airport as she’s heading home to Canada for ten days. Epic timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            I think mine is arriving today, even though it was meant to be tomorrow. Just dropped the wife off at Glasgow airport as she’s heading home to Canada for ten days. Epic timing.
            Party at Colin's house!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
              Party at Colin's house!

https://i.imgur.com/n5jXVJ7.jpg
              Some smart jumpers on show there!

Comment

Some serial killers on show more like. Good grief.

Comment

Cha-ching!

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                    Fun times! Europe gets shafted just like it did in the 50Hz PAL era.

**** PAL. I'm ordering a Japanese unit (anyone wanna sell one?) or US unit.

Saw on the Reddit hacking thread:
                    OK, apparently if you have the EU system, since English language gives you EU games (while English on the US system gives US games), to access US games on an EU system you need to select Korean.

So the guy on Reddit was wrong. You can access US games on an EU system, you just need to set the language to Korean.

I'm surprised this information isn't being spread about more. There are so many videos, and so many articles, and none of them cover this in detail. Apart from Yakumo's video.

Comment

I'd be up for swapping a JP console for a PAL one once they are out like. (would have to post to Japan tho)

Comment

I'm surprised this information isn't being spread about more. There are so many videos, and so many articles, and none of them cover this in detail. Apart from Yakumo's video.
                        Because they mostly haven't got a clue and just jump on the bandwagon.

Comment

because they're all trying to show off show how wonderful they are because, they can point out a tiny bit of lag rather than play and enjoy the unit

Comment

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but 8bitdo are releasing a USB version of their M30 pad aimed at the Mini. Nothing on Amazon UK yet but up for pre-order on the US site

Comment

That looks good. My one gripe with the mini though is the included pad, I wanted a three button original one, I couldn’t give a toss about SFII on the MD.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                Because they mostly haven't got a clue and just jump on the bandwagon.
                                Dear gods, this is true. I generally don't watch a lot of YT, having only a tiny handful of channels I check regularly. But this recent jaunt across more than 10 channels to hunt down a bit of info, revealed how utterly dog**** the most popular Tubers are. Thousands and thousands of subscribers, free hardware from Sega, and they know less about the system than I do, despite literally using it in said videos.

The saddest thing is, they get more support from games companies than we ever used to get when I worked in-house on games magazines. I feel a bit nauseous thinking about it. I can only assume games companies do it because:

1) The Tubers have more subscribers than we used to have print sales (even the top selling PlayStation mags weren't hitting 100k back in 2006)

2) Tubers are more easily manipulated into providing positive coverage, since it's completely unregulated.

And yet they are all so goddamned annoying and uninformed, utter clowns, and they're all getting rich off producing this ****.

In case anyone thinks I'm bitter after reading the above statements, I just want to clarify, that's because I am. Working on games mags would have been a helluva lot better if we'd all got the cash these turdweasels swim around in, and more so if we had the support games companies are now giving to all of them.

Obviously there's exceptions. Yakumo is one, since I seem to recall him doing this from before YouTube even existed? And the vids have always provided information related to Japanese games I wouldn't find elsewhere. But it's like, suddenly there's a thousand PewDiePie/AVGN wannabes, and their whole shtick is not informing viewers, but "entertaining" them with piss-poor comic routines.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                                That looks good. My one gripe with the mini though is the included pad, I wanted a three button original one, I couldn’t give a toss about SFII on the MD.
                                When I get my PAL system on 4 October I'll trade you one of my 3 button pads for one of your 6 button pads that came with the system, and I'll also cover your postage to my end (UK address)?
                                Last edited by Sketcz; 24-09-2019, 15:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X