No announcement yet.

Dreamcast in 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^yeah, in most cases. Though I hear REZ is 60 on PS2 and 30 on DC?

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
      ^yeah, in most cases. Though I hear REZ is 60 on PS2 and 30 on DC?
      This is true, though the tradeoff is that the PS2 runs at a lower resolution, or has something weird going on with its aliasing. I remember seeing a comparison video where the jaggies were visible. In any case, the PS4 version is currently free on Sony's online store.

Also found out to my surprise that despite Treasure's Ikaruga being available on damn near every platform of the last two decades, the DC version is still arguably the best.

-The GameCube port has an exclusive 'Conquest' mode, which allows you to slow the game down and start from specific sections. However it runs slightly slow, suffers some blurred textures/visual fidelity loss compared to the DC and has audio de-sync issues due to not being generated live. The PAL version also is an egregious unoptimised 50Hz-only port.
      -The XBLA version was the first to sport upgraded visuals but has fewer modes than even the DC original and has some weird gameplay inaccuracies detailed here (though interestingly does have still-functional online co-op, not seen in any other version).
      -The Steam-and-up HD re-releases apparently all have noticeable input lag (I can confirm this first-hand on the Switch version) and glitches such as occasional disappearing enemies when triggering certain level conditions.
      -The Switch version specifically has compressed audio, which is a shame given the OST is such a highlight. (It was also handled by Nicalis, who are reportedly run by a pretty scummy individual.)

tl;dr: the DC original was (unsurprisingly given the NAOMI hardware) arcade perfect, while each iteration has improved something while breaking something else.

I guess that partly explains why the DC version is still so expensive, despite the ports being so readily accessible...
      Last edited by danstan21; 20-04-2021, 10:09.

Comment

^Excellent post!

Comment

Working...
        X