No announcement yet.

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't even see it having been released here...wonder why.

Comment

Bought a PC Engine mini after the recommendations here and have mainly been playing Bomberman 93. Really impressed so far, emulation seems great and I love the little touches M2 added to the menu system. My biggest issue is with the controller, not sure if it was a problem with the original as well but it feels really cheap and I have died a few times on bomberman because of the d-pad which is very loose and inputs the wrong direction (for example if I press left it registers it as down). Hopefully the 8bitdo pad is much better.

Comment

Both mine finally turned up today, all in all pretty pleased with them. Played for 3 hours on most of the the games to test everything out as i wanted to see what the issue with lag would be like, turned out the lag is pretty much a non issue for me tried pc genjin 1&2 out and i can control him fine can still pull all the tricks off while playing his momentum is as i remember it. Am playing on a plasma though so that might be some of the reason as i never experienced the lag on famicom & super famicom mini either, the pad feels really nice as well no issues controlling had a quick go on galaga 88 and ended up playing an hour on that alone love that game so gald it's on there. The scanlines look as well as the megadrive mini so i have left them off but from watching reviews i knew they were not that great to start with.

Even without hacking the game selection is really nice, a hell of a lot of titles i like are already in there. Shame we got air zonk instead of pc denjin as the weak ass turbocrapix version is censored boooo, will correct that mistake when the hack is released. I despise censored games with a passion. Still nice that after all this time waiting i finally have a tiny pce in my hands it's been well worth the wait for me, love the pce library and this is a nice way to play the library without liberating a kidney for originals. I do it for JP PS1 but no way in hell i'd try to go physical for PCE nowadays lol.

A long time ago this was my original collection the only game i still have out of all that is rainbow islands, the rest ended up going to people on here.

This is now how PCE gaming will be going on from now on, just waiting for the 3 pads i ordered to turn up if i ever make enough friends to have a multiplayer session of bomberman lol. The multitap is a pretty nice reproduction, now if only some peripheral maker would make a cd rom interface unit for it to bolt into make it a portable battery or something. Wish someone would make tiny cut off hucards to slot onto the console as the power slider has a little notch on the bit of plastic that slides out when the power is on that would easily hold them in it's almost looks like it was designed to do just that.

Last edited by importaku; 24-06-2020, 19:42.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
          Shame we got air zonk instead of pc denjin as the weak ass turbocrapix version is censored boooo, will correct that mistake when the hack is released.
          Yeah, the JP version is the one to play -- none of that censored BS. Such a wacky game.

Comment

Can't believe they got rid of milk titty zonk for that rubbish redrawn thing in the western version. Not even remotely offensive in the original lol
            Last edited by importaku; 24-06-2020, 20:50.

Comment

Can't believe they got rid of milk titty zonk for that rubbish redrawn thing in the western version. Not even remotely offensive in the original lol
              Yeah, there's nothing offensive about cartoon 'pneumatic boobies of destruction'. It's so funny. You get the same sort of humour in some of the Parodius games.

The Ren & Stimpy cartoon wasn't any less crazy - and that was on tv at 6pm back in the day.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-06-2020, 21:24.

Comment

Got home from my late shift to find these waiting for me from amazon usa, annoyingly they sent them in a bubble envelope it's a miracle the boxes weren't totally wrecked. Weirdly only amazon usa has these in stock however the usa ones appeared on amazon uk listed under their global store for £4 more than the uk ones. The ones they had listed in the uk had totally sold out & the same for japan too. They are not easy to find at retail price that's for damn sure not even any marketplace sellers on amazon uk/jp offering. Still one left to turn up from ebay.

Will test out tomorrow to see how they compare to the one i got with my white pce mini
                Last edited by importaku; 26-06-2020, 23:12.

Comment

Hehe neat

Bought one off etsy the colour is looking a little transparent but for £2 i'm not gonna complain the seller makes mini carts for all the mini consoles but not a huge selection of title stickers for some.
                  Here's his etsy page i'll spread the love for anyone wanting to pimp theirs out, i went with bomberman for mine.
                  Last edited by importaku; 28-06-2020, 17:52.

Comment

Spent today having another marathon session on this thing it's been fun going through the games including ones i never really got to try as i have only ever emulated hucards before and one cd game. All the shooters on this thing are solid choices i haven't found a duff one out of them all but there are games i don't particularly like such as victory lap which i found pretty dull the same goes with the kungfu another dull game. Did enjoy trying out momotaro dentestsu since i played the ones on DS i have learnt how to play so i found it pretty fun to have a game against the cpu despite it's cheating with the dice, i don't think i'll ever find another person to play this with. Haven't tried any of the RPG games as of yet as they are in that dull medieval theme that i no longer can tolerate, i have played enough 8 bit rpgs to last several lifetimes. Oh look some thatched buildings in a stone town, oh look some generic caves to tromp through, oh look another world map that looks like it's been pulled from dragon quest yeah i think i'll be passing on those. But all in all the library of stuff on it for the most part is pretty decent. The emulation has been rock solid apart from one bug i got so far where i started up Aldynes and the menu music forgot to turn itself off so it was playing both but a quick soft reset ingame fixed that, haven't struggled on any of the games regarding input lag it seems just as good as Nintendo & Segas minis even playing the shooters i have been making good progress in them all. Hell even adventure island hasn't stopped me. Nice to be able to save my progress in save states though so i can jump back in when i next want to play especially useful for stuff like momotaro where each game session can easily go on for a loooong time.

Do love all the little touches and in that respect it totally beats Nintendo's efforts. The menu is filled with neat stuff, the fact there's also hidden games in there too and i really like that if you hold in the select button and press the I button while booting a CD game you can see the error screen as if you put in the wrong system card. Seeing those is a really neat touch. Even the wallpaper borders have a nice call back the one with the speakers on either side is a reference to this computer monitor that had a PCE built in.
                    Last edited by importaku; 29-06-2020, 00:44.

Comment

Hehe neat

Bought one off etsy the colour is looking a little transparent but for £2 i'm not gonna complain the seller makes mini carts for all the mini consoles but not a huge selection of title stickers for some.
                      Here's his etsy page i'll spread the love for anyone wanting to pimp theirs out, i went with bomberman for mine.
                      https://www.etsy.com/dk-en/shop/Mini...g_id=779947811
                      Soldier Blade ordered!

Comment

[MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] - shame you’re missing out on Ys Books I & II as they are fantastic games with killer soundtracks.

Comment

I wish Snatcher had an English language option ... looks such a cool game.

Comment

The problem so far is nobody as far as I’m aware has fan translated the pce version but seeing as the machine has been successfully hacked maybe someone will do it so people can add an upgraded version in.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              I wish Snatcher had an English language option ... looks such a cool game.
                              It’s a brilliant game Atticus. I played it via an emulator on my computer with a DualShock 4. Really worth doing as it’s a terrific game.

Comment

Working...
                              X