No announcement yet.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About 15 or so hours in, and reaaaaally enjoying it so far. As I was hoping, it's not doing anything particularly revolutionary - it's just polished, well-paced, balanced excellently, and charmingly designed.

Dragon Quest 8 was the game that broke me out of a hideous WoW habit, and while it's not quite so dramatic, it's in similar fashion that this feels like a very worthy game to stave off the Monster Hunter addiction that's kept me locked to the one game for most of this year.

Comment

I 100%ed it tonight. Pretty much reached level 99 with everyone just doing the post game content which actually has a lot of story leading up to the second ending. There's some really nice and touching callbacks to the first three games at the end as well.

I won't go so far as to say it's essential to do the post game story just because the first ending is extremely well done and really quite bittersweet but if you do want to continue your adventure it's well worth doing so.

I'm a little sad it's over really, it's a meaty game that's worth every penny and second I put into it

Comment

I'm still going to pick this up. Probably around Christmas. Thanks for the wordage.

Comment

Seems like we're all finishing up at the same time. I've clocked in 178 hours and I'm probably gonna have this done tomorow, not much left. I love the Hard mode drachonian option, thank god they put that in there. It's not for everyone as it can be a bit unforgiving, especially when the RNG works against you, but I'd say this is one of the best JRPGs I've ever played. Highly recommended!

Comment

Is that a good estimate for the platinum? If so I might have to just settle for a completion!

Comment

It took me 145 hours, you could probably beat it in less time if you really went for it though.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                Is that a good estimate for the platinum? If so I might have to just settle for a completion!
                I rechecked, steam says 178 hours but my save file says 160. I was 3 achievements short of 100%. Talking to some cows would have taken 5 minutes, doing a bit of gambling for the accolades would have taken about 20 minutes and crafting the gear that changes your characters' appearance probably about an hour. You don't need to play on hard mode to get the platinum either so, I'd guess about 130-160 hours.

Comment

I've hit the post game/3rd Act at about 70 hours, about lvl55 for most of the party (normal difficulty), didn't complete about 7 of the 2nd act quests which are mostly pep power annoying ones i'd have to respec for or the rewards are just crafting bits. Think i'll take a break for the moment as it sounds like it be a boss rush in the old areas, which is what most of Act 2 was.

Comment

The game's approach to pacing, endings and "post-game" are very odd to me. Spoilers, natch:

I'm a way through "Act 3" now and thought the 'ending' at the end of part 2 was really weird. The only argument I can see to put end credits there are that you've spent about 60 hours at that point on it - but to suggest it's the end, and only leave a hint that there may be more to do, seems absolutely nuts to me? Calasmos is only a brief (and easily ignored!) consideration at this point, and dare I say, Veronica's death seems... reasonable?

Keen to see how they wrap it up at the very end, but given I've also made it this far I'm also tempted to work on the last few trophies before I do...

Comment

97 hours, platinum.

I enjoyed this; it was good! I'm a little sad now that we didn't get the 3DS version - I might pick it up some day as a curio, as I've a feeling the Switch version will be based on the PS4 instead.

Comment

Guys, help me out. Last day of PS Store sale where this and Persona 5 or near the 20 quid mark. Which one to go for? I appreciate they are quite different. I liked Persona 4, but I like traditional sword n shield turn based RPGs too.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                          Guys, help me out. Last day of PS Store sale where this and Persona 5 or near the 20 quid mark. Which one to go for? I appreciate they are quite different. I liked Persona 4, but I like traditional sword n shield turn based RPGs too.
                          I missed this but I would say go for DQXI personally. I think if it was put to a general poll most people would say Persona 5 though. I'm interested to know which you went for?

Comment

I went for Persona 5. It's so good though. I will eventually get DQXI some day.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                              I went for Persona 5. It's so good though. I will eventually get DQXI some day.
                              I thought that might be the case. You really can't go wrong with these two though

Comment

I’ll throw Ni No Kuni 2 in there as a lovely little Level 5 JPRG too. Very classical in style and rather relaxing to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X