Cyberpunk 2077

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    So is this any good then? There’s an awful lot of hype for a game from a studio with a long history of beautiful but ultimately unsatisfying games. Is it the bees knees or was everyone just desperate for something new that had a AAA budget?
    It's everything I'd hoped for. Skyrim X Perfect Dark with the biggest jump in graphics since probably the import Dreamcast era.

Comment

It is a beautiful mess right now. I'm hearing all the criticisms and they're all totally valid because when you strip it back it's a very clever illusion with nothing really driving it in the background. As Cassius points out there is a noticeable lack of interactions, stuff you'd expect given what GTAV as an example has done before it.

That said though, the art direction is hard to fault. It's like they've taken pieces of the blade runner universe and made it real. I'd love to walk through this in VR come to think of it...

I've also really enjoyed the gameplay this far. The part where you're editing the brain dance was cool, felt like a scene from minority report.

So yeah it's sparse on interactive pieces in the larger world the story it's telling this far inside it has been keeping me engrossed.

Comment

The new patch has definitely made a big difference on playstation. It's nowhere near as fuzzy. Nice and crisp now.
        I can't fault the art style at all, it's a good looking and unique looking game. Just wish it was as alive as GTA5.

Comment

As quite a quick fix they could do to add some more life and atmosphere would be ambient noise backing track. Add a constant din of traffic and talking, people shouting from windows, gunshots and police sirens. Have the vending machines shouting slogans and music in various languages.
          'Join us in the off world colonies...'
          That kind of stuff alone would boost it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            The new patch has definitely made a big difference on playstation. It's nowhere near as fuzzy. Nice and crisp now.
            I can't fault the art style at all, it's a good looking and unique looking game. Just wish it was as alive as GTA5.
            Yeah I don't think that 1.04 patch has hit Xbox yet but I'm curious to see what it's done for it... In particular the HDR ruining the overall picture.

Comment

I think they should have made this a PC exclusive until the next-gen console versions were ready.

Comment

[MENTION=221]nonny[/MENTION] i believe, using some sort of hack, that you can play this in vr (on pc)

Comment

Is this really a game though? Spent a few days with it and walked away thinking it was more of an "interactive novel" style experience than an actual game.

The graphical style, bugs allowing, is different, and new, and valuable. The presentation will look and work a lot better in 6 months. The PS4 and Xbox One are the 2020 equivalents of a Spectrum port, and don't expect them to improve. But all that is scene-setting, and atmosphere, rather than the actual game.

The RPG elements are watered down. Stat building doesn't seem to have any material effect on the way you play the game. Neither do the conversations. The scope to take different paths and change the story is limited. The ways in which you interact with the environment, like guns and cars, aren't really satisfying.

So, is this really a good game, or just a good semi-interactive storytelling experience with film noir / hardboiled / Bladerunner inspiration and gameplay as an afterthought? Compare it with the one open-world game that I keep coming back to -- Spider-Man. The interaction of Spider-Man with New York is just fun.

I bought on Xbox digitally, where there's the option to apply for a refund if you're not happy, so I'm done with it for now and it's gone back to the cloud. Might give it another go next year some time.

Comment

^ Yeah, some of the game play still needs some work. Don't worry, they'll fix that eventually. Don't forget that you can upgrade your shooting skills as the game progresses.

Right now I'm just happy with vibing around an RTX-fueled James Cameron/Ridley Scott wet dream in my laz0r-powered muscle car while listening to the soundtrack.

This is genuinely my most 'next-gen' moment since spinning Bowser into a mine.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                      This is genuinely my most 'next-gen' moment since spinning Bowser into a mine.
                      RDR2 would like a word.

Comment

It's an odd game. I'm starting to get that vibe that there doesn't appear to be much 'game' to it, an awful lot of it is throwing scripted linear narrative sequences at you. It's also really good looking at times, I spent a while taking screen grabs earlier, but at the same time I still get the sense that it's resolutely a current gen game wearing next-gen effect bells and whistles. I don't for one second get any sense that the games issues are because it's massively beyond current gen machines other than some of the high end textures, RT, lighting options on PC - it's failings all come across as being entirely down to the failings and incapabilities of studio not the underlying game.

Comment

I definitely get a No Man's sky vibe from it. It's a game with great possibility and a rich world. It's just scraping the surface right now. I hope they dig in to that mine with some big updates.

Comment

Screenshots don't do this section justice...

Comment

SO! I've been humbled a bit after a display of ignorance. I didn't realise DLSS could scale the resolution down so aggressively which would explain the decent framerates I was seeing. Setting it to DLSS Quality (1080>1440) gives me around 35-45 FPS on RT Ultra with my 3060 Ti which is more in line with benchmarks I've been seeing. Turning off DLSS entirely was too much for the card, very slow cursor at that point. Even so, the game looks glorious and still very playable. I'm sure a 3080/3090 would be a much better experience for those with the wonga. My fairly weak CPU (Ryzen 5 2600) probably isn't helping either.

Yet to try without RTing, might see how that is later on.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                                Screenshots don't do this section justice...

Your own character appeared to have no reflection?

Comment

Working...
                                X