Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, your highness, not at all...
    "I'm from Manchester" - "Well, you don't look like it"
    The Prince of Wales told me I don’t look like I’m from Manchester. If this is how he thinks, he shouldn’t be the next head of the Commonwealth, says writer Anita Sethi

Endless sexism, racismery, etc:
    After the Duke of Edinburgh steps down from duties, we take a look back at some of the infamous remarks he has made while in the public eye.

Comment

It's not really shocking that Two doddery old pensioners brought up in time when racism was rife are a little bit racist.

Their a product of their upbringing and a country that's let them get away with it, Phillips gaffes are presented as funny and twee by loads of news outlets in a "look what the Silly old sod has said now" kind of way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
        It's not really shocking that Two doddery old pensioners brought up in time when racism was rife are a little bit racist.

Their a product of their upbringing and a country that's let them get away with it, Phillips gaffes are presented as funny and twee by loads of news outlets in a "look what the Silly old sod has said now" kind of way.
        Yeah I know right, Prince Philip has been coming out with racist clangers for decades... This isn't anything new. The reality is he's probably not purposely racist, he's just a fossil of an era when it was acceptable behaviour.

Comment

I'd say that might be a bit more expected if you were dealing with some old guy who lived a simple life, has barely left the local area (let alone the country) and is mostly ignorant through a lack of exposure and no real interest in the outside world.

Philip has travelled the entire globe and visited more countries than most of us ever could, experiencing all the cultures you could imagine. He was born in Greece and lived in a bunch of different countries before here, had a top class education. On top of that his entire existence is meant to revolve around him being a diplomat for his country and overall just knowing better. He doesn't really have any excuse to be ignorant and even if he did, even a complete simpleton could hide it well by just keeping his mouth shut.

I think he's just a useless old imbecile and the Queen just lets him run his mouth off because she couldn't care less as everyone gives him a free pass. When those two are gone I think we should just call it a day for the whole lot.

Comment

[MENTION=7652]Hirst[/MENTION] has it. Prince Philip sits at the side of the leader of The Commonwealth, a huge ethnically diverse diaspora of foreign peoples, surely he knows that going on about spears and the shape of people's eyes is offensive. Probably not...

...but let's not make excuses for him, he has had enough privilege in his life.

Comment

It reminds me of that saying parents say to their kids at one point; "you're old enough to know better"
              So why did racist/ sexist old people get a pass for so long then with that logic?

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                It reminds me of that saying parents say to their kids at one point; "you're old enough to know better"
                So why did racist/ sexist old people get a pass for so long then with that logic?
                Mostly because he's high enough up the food chain to not have to care.
                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 12-03-2021, 12:27.

Comment

I don't even get why people are so defensive over getting rid of the Royal Family, they're not the original one anyway. If we were serious about sticking to royal tradition we should be able to have a field battle, lob off a few heads and take the throne

Comment

Why stop there, we should do the same with the government and anyone else who can't be seen.

Comment

I would love it if we lopped the heads of the Government.

Of course the Tories, Hydra-like, would simply grow newer and ever malevolent heads.

Comment

Went down to Mullaco today and the Royal Family bust-up has resulted in some excellent shortbread deals.

Comment

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time, the latest entry in Activision's long-running platform series, will be making its w…

Ireland has suspended use of the Oxford vaccine on the back of EU concerns of blood clotting.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ter-this-month
                            Ireland has suspended use of the Oxford vaccine on the back of EU concerns of blood clotting.
                            I did wonder why Eurogamer were commenting on the Oxford vaccine, but I guess this is the curse of being The News Machine, Neon!

Comment

Comment

Quite the week for women.

We've had International Women's Day, with the usual "Wens nashunal MENS day, EH?"

A pregnant woman saying she felt suicidal by the way the press bullied her, but then called a liar about it by her stalker and the story moved to being all about him stropping off when questioned.

Then we had the murder of a woman (allegedly) by a serving police officer who had previously exposed himself.

When suggested all men have a part to play in changing the way we talk about women, men got incredibly defensive, rather than trying to address the issue. #notallmen

A vigil in her name was cancelled, but people turned up anyway and started getting arrested by *checks notes* the police.

Which won't be a problem soon, because the Government are voting today to take away our right to protest.

Then it was Mothering Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X