Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking at Rallyman GT. It really catches my eye, along with about 30 other games.. >_<

I've just ordered €75 worth of Descent Lieutenants. I already have the one for the base game's last boss, but this order completes the entire set and also includes the big dragon boss from the first expansion (Lair of the Wyrm) which I will grab next month.

This is my problem. I won't be able to buy anything else until I complete the ENTIRE set of expansions. I really want other games though, such as Scythe, SW: Rebellion, Dune, Reef, Santorini, Brass Birmingham, Dominion...

Further, there seems to be a bit of additional cost associated with grabbing the English versions. For instance I can get the German Descent big-hox expansions for just under €50, however the English versions are around €70. :/

Comment

King of Tokyo! I want it so badly. Those dice and power cubes look lush.

Comment

King of Tokyo is great and makes for a brilliant "gateway" game, where friends who think boardgames are just Monopoly get to try something fun.

It's fairly light, but great for a bit of dice-chucking fun.

You roll to get either: Attacks; healing; points or lightning bolts. The lightning bolts are used to buy ability cards.
        I've played without the ability cards with my son for a simpler game, so you can play it with kids.
        However, the abilities make it a lot of fun where people are doing bonus damage or getting an extra dice or having a second go if they die.

I also have the "Power-UP" pack that adds an additional monster, but also gives each monster an ability.
        In the standard game, it doesn't matter who you choose, but with this pack it does.

If I'm honest, I liked the differentiation between monsters, but it added an extra level of management that put people off.

It's hard work entertaining 6+ people as most games are 4-player.
        One guy doesn't like the random factor of dice (even though you can re-roll twice)
        Another player died really quickly once and now she doesn't like playing it.

I might see if they'll play it again at lunch as it's been ages and I quite like having all the abilities and obviously, the kaiju theme really appeals to me!

I bought the whole thing second-hand, so you can pick it up fairly cheap, especially as there's a 2nd edition, so the first is pretty common.

I've not played King of New York, so can't compare.

Comment

My son, wife and I have been playing a lot of The Quacks of Quedlinburg (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ks-quedlinburg) since getting it for Xmas. This is on the same scale of accessibility, as well as game-length, as Kings of Tokyo, and possibly not so divisive as no-one's attacking/ganging-up anyone.

You have to compete to mix quack potions for sale by drawing ingredients out of your personal drawstring bag, keeping an eye on the different ingredient combos depending on the various recipe books you're working from, and trying not to explode your cauldron with the wrong ingredients. The person with the biggest successful brew of stuff wins the round and then you purchase new ingredients between rounds depending on how much money you've made. There's a 'Fortune Teller' draw (random inter-round modifiers) that alters the rules interestingly with each round, as well as a neat 'rats-tail' system which allows players lagging behind to get a head-start on their potion so no-one ever really dominates too much.

It sounds totally random, what with the drawing ingredients 'blind' aspect, but it is surprisingly tactical as you try to target your purchases to work on the probabilities of what type and potency of ingredient you want to draw. In that sense, it's a cute equivalent of a deck-building game like Clank. And anyway it can't be random as my son has won 18 games out of 20 with lots of different ingredient strategies.

There's lots of replay value as there are two 'boards' (to be exact, everyone gets their own awesome little cauldron board) with different modifiers, as well as four different sets of recipe books of increasingly complexity that can be combined in various ways for different ingredient combos and buffs. There is also now an interesting and inexpensive expansion (The Herb Witches) which looks fun and we'll definitely be getting.

The art is fantastic and the quality of components very decent - highly recommended, boardgame chums.
          Last edited by Golgo; 04-02-2020, 11:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
            You have to compete to mix quack potions for sale by drawing ingredients out of your personal drawstring bag, keeping an eye on the different ingredient combos depending on the various recipe books you're working from, and trying not to explode your cauldron with the wrong ingredients. There's a 'Fortune Teller' draw (random inter-round modifiers) that alters the rules interestingly with each round, as well as a neat 'rats-tail' system which allows players lagging behind to get a head-start on their potion so no-one ever really dominates too much.
            I've heard great things about this game, but I'll be honest - it sounds like you're high as a kite!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I've heard great things about this game, but I'll be honest - it sounds like you're high as a kite!
              Nope, you can't actually consume your potions, if that's what you're implying.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                Nope, you can't actually consume your potions, if that's what you're implying.
                Ha ha ha, no I mean, sometime when you're trying to explain a game and people look blankly at you because it totally sounds like you're a bit bonkers and you have you dial it down to "turn the cards and win points."

Comment

Ha ha ha, no I mean, sometime when you're trying to explain a game and people look blankly at you because it totally sounds like you're a bit bonkers and you have you dial it down to "turn the cards and win points."
                  Ah yes, ahem...well technically you're pulling cheap cardboard tokens from a bag, for points...but it feels like you're an up-to-no-gooder master potion-brewer like Severus Snape.

Comment

Anyone remember The Dark Tower?

Well, it's getting an update, Return to the Dark Tower :

Kickstarter launches 14th January 2020:

So, this funded to the tune of $4 million dollars!
                    My friend went all-in on a pledge and I can't wait to play it.
                    Sadly, that's exactly what I'll have to do, as the expected release date is Feb 2021, and is bound to slip (Kickstarters regularly arrive on time and that's just the other side of Chinese New Year. Everything seems to be made in China and people underestimate just how much shuts down in CNY!)

Comment

^ I was lucky enough to have this game as a kid and it was fantastic (even though we had to send it to the manufacturer to be repaired three times). The new version looks loads better, with the much expanded bestiary of different enemy cards, different questlines, character customization, and base management, none of which was in the original. Only wish I could justify the expense!

Comment

It seems there's only me and our youngest who ever want to play a board game these days (unless we're on hol) so I'm going to have to pick up something that's okay for 2 players and maybe with a co-op approach. Something ideep enough to keep the interest there, but maybe not so deep that it's too much for an 11 year old. Any recommendations would be appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          It seems there's only me and our youngest who ever want to play a board game these days (unless we're on hol) so I'm going to have to pick up something that's okay for 2 players and maybe with a co-op approach. Something ideep enough to keep the interest there, but maybe not so deep that it's too much for an 11 year old. Any recommendations would be appreciated
                          Forbidden Island (coop) and Onitama (competitive) are great for 2 players - have lots of fun playing with my lad on those. Both are portable and compact and have nice games board and components, too.
                          Last edited by Golgo; 10-02-2020, 17:31.

Comment

Yeah, co-op is the way forward, unless they particularly like to beat you at games!

At the weekend we had a games night. 5 of us played Mansions of Madness, Which is a co-op Lovecraftian mystery by Fantasy Flight.

As you'd expect from FF, the quality and artwork are all amazing, but it's the clever implementation of an app that makes it run so seamlessly. It tells you what's happening and adds some narrative flavour and spooky music as your team of investigators search for clues in an attempt to unravel a mystery that transpired there.

I'll post my minor negatives first.
                            I'm always slightly suspicious of anything that relies on something stored on a server. Kodak photos, MySpace music, PSN games, MS Indie games, Ultraviolet movies and so on. They're never going to be there forever, so you could be left with an expensive bunch of useless cardboard. Fantasy Flight have ended other licences like with Games Workshop and Netrunner, so it's not inconceivable they would do this.

Minor gripe that doesn't affect current gameplay, but worth mentioning.

The app really could do with an "undo" button, not to cheat, but with hours of gaming, it's inevitable you'll press the wrong thing at least once.

The other thing is, you have to approach this like a Lovecraft story. You need Descent if you want powered-up warriors.
                            This has ordinary people dragged into a mystery and very susceptible to the forces that are constantly attacking your sanity.
                            I feel a bit aggrieved to have done nothing and suddenly get hit by two attacks on my mind.
                            This is Lovecraft, though. If you've read any of his books, people go bonkers just thinking about the horrors they may face.

Those aside, if you can get into it, it's a real blast.

You're all working together to uncover clues and find out what happened, but the story and house regularly change and throw new challenges at you.

You have a character board which tells you about their abilities and a bio on the back. Some people are all-rounders, others are more proficient in one or two things. So my character was strong, so could roll 5 dice against ability checks. The d8 have sides that are blank, star (success) or a magnifying glass. The latter can be turned to successes if you have a magnifying glass token spare.
                            My character has picked up a meat cleaver (stabbing damage) and an Elder Ward that adds an extra defence dice when attacked. I've taken 4/9 damage and 4/5 horrors. One more and I would go insane", where you're dealt a different card and your character changes.

My character races into action!

By the end of the game, things were looking a lot less healthy...

We managed to win the game pretty much on the last turn as one of our team went insane and was about to betray us all!

Could be a good one for a boardgame cafe, as the app is free, and will talk you through every step.
                            You wouldn't be able to hear the spooky music, though!

Comment

I know I'm going down a nerd rabbithole but is this the place for talk of painting things like Warhammer miniatures? I got a set at Christmas and have been getting back into it. Last time I did this was as a teenager so I'm on a steep learning curve as I try to learn the techniques (I wasn't even good as a teen and had terrible paints and supplies) but I'm really enjoying it as a hobby. It's relaxing.

Comment

Popped round my brothers tonight & he has picked up a new miniatures game which if you are getting back into Warhammer stuff may also be of interest to you [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION]
                                The new Marvel Crisis Protocol miniatures game

He also picked up a few expansion models

Looks like a good game

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X