The Star Trek Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Where Discovery fits still is a bit of an unknown.
    It doesn't fit anywhere in the Star Trek universe due to its ridiculous tech far in advanced of TOS, its butchering of Klingons and its awful storylines.

Comment

I just treat Discovery as it's own thing. I like it, but it's too different.

Comment

Well, I love Discovery. But yes, the tech is so far off to the point where it felt very deliberately separate. And with the seasons revolving around dimension hopping and time travel, it being its own timeline wouldn’t have been remotely surprising. But as season 2 went on, it did seem like they were making attempts to pull it closer to the original series and justify some of the departures so, yeah, it’s probably intended now that it’s just the main timeline. But I suspect that they didn’t decide that until season 2, or at least left it very open for themselves to change later.

Comment

I don't get it. Discovery is set in the original timeline, and always was.

Yeah it changes stuff but in real life it was 2018; it isn't like they could've made a series that looked like TOS.

Sorry, but I get a bit awkward about this. When Enterprise came out, there was a cadre of the fandom who were absolutely dedicated to the idea that it was not-canon, or some kind of parallel universe, or something. The Trek creators had to actually put out a statement at one point IIRC just to say it was just earlier in the timeline; that's it.

I get people having headcanons, that's fine; I don't personally recognise Star Trek V or a bunch of specific stuff, but that doesn't change that it's part of the franchise.

Then again it isn't any problem to me that it seems "too futuristic" compared to TNG, which is meant to be over a century later. That's just a production thing.

Comment

No, that doesn’t really work for me in that much of the tech is written in as a feature. It would have been very, very easy not to straight up contradict the tech of the early shows. The reboot movies did it on the Enterprise, for example. Nothing in the reboot movie Enterprise contradicted the tech of the original series (until we got into Into Darkness) and yet looked just fine for the age it was made in. So it being made in 2018 is not a free for all, especially given it was a deliberate choice to make the show a prequel. They didn’t have to do that. It could have been set in any time. They made a choice to fit it within an existing timeline, leading to an existing series. So yeah, I think it’s perfectly fine to expect that, in that scenario, they fit it within that framework if that’s what they set out to do.

Comment

Still don't agree. I respect where you're coming from though DT in how the show has played fast-and-loose with the canon.

The show is all fictional and fiction is malleable. CBS own Trek; they get to say what Trek "is" now just as much as Disney get to say what Star Wars "is" now, and they say it's prime timeline, original setting, so it is. People can point to the different Klingons or tech and say it doesn't sync up, but from their perspective it's presumably that it syncs up because that's what Trek "is" now.

Comment

Yep but they made the choice to not make what Trek is now and instead make a show set when Trek was what it was then. You can make new Trek or you can make old Trek but if you make new Trek and say it’s old Trek, that’s where things get tricky. And that’s what they did.

Comment

I love kicking a hornets nest 🤣

Comment

Star Trek: Enterprise is the most important of all the Star Trek canon. It's canon to both timelines ergo the centre of the ST universe! Bwa ha!

Comment

All the new ones are complete pap. Just crap for the sake of making crap.

Comment

Setting aside the canon issues, after 2 season I'm in the camp that happily puts Discovery well above most Star Trek content. I have a strong fondness for each incarnation but each previous one - for all their strengths - contain an insane amount of dull filler whereas Discovery is rarely not entertaining to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          Setting aside the canon issues, after 2 season I'm in the camp that happily puts Discovery well above most Star Trek content. I have a strong fondness for each incarnation but each previous one - for all their strengths - contain an insane amount of dull filler whereas Discovery is rarely not entertaining to watch.
                          I can’t recall a dull episode to be honest. Every one has not only incorporated the story arc overall but also taken the characters forward, Season 2 was just fantastic, the last 2 episodes were insane.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's a really strong show. Not all episodes are great and I feel some struggled to balance the single episode story with the larger arcs, leaving the main story underserved or sometimes just resulting in a slightly messy episode, but overall I think it comes together really well and is almost always entertaining. And while season 1 had some great highs and some lows too, in my view, season 2 really found its feet and felt even more confident in the type of show it's trying to be. I think it's the most entertaining Trek we've had in years. Pike was a fantastic addition as well.

Comment

Note to all of whom are interested.

Wurlitzer Pebbles hasn’t watched a single episode of Discovery or Picard.

He’s going entirely off his ‘Old = Best’ prejudice. The same applies to his choice of wads.

Comment

I gave up with Discovery on the first episode. Considering it features the wonderful Michelle Yeoh that’s pretty bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X