Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Programming Thread (was New to Programming)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
    Great post!

Protocol, we have all tried to help in here. To the poiint where people have called you a troll for continuing to return with nothing!

Brad's point about having some knowledge before starting a class is key. It shows that you want to learn regardless of a course. If you start a course with no knowledge you are behind on day 1.
    Well, the point is that I can’t afford a course. If you have A-levels and a degree already, there’s no funding.

It’s very unhelpful to describe a paradox where you need to be an expert before starting a course, but where would you become an expert first? I mean, you can’t just spontaneously have the information arrived in your head without proper instruction. I can’t make myself understood here, I’m a beginner. I don’t know how to do computer programming. I need to be shown how to. I’ve seen it described as a skill anyone can learn, like reading. So with the proper instruction, I can learn it. Sending links to jargon-filled websites for people who can already program doesn’t help either.
    Last edited by Protocol Penguin; 31-10-2020, 12:54.

Comment

You are right. Most people can't teach it to themselves. But you should be able to start, using the w3 schools website I linked to and making slight adjustments to code to solve problems.

It is also worth pointing out that basic maths IS the beginner course to programming.
      Last edited by cutmymilk; 31-10-2020, 14:08.

Comment

Programming is like anything else really. Most people can learn the basics from a book. If you can’t learn things from books or online resources then you’ll have to pay someone to try to teach you.

To learn guitar I got a couple of books and learnt the basics ok. After that it was just practice. If I want to have a professional tutor me I have to pay for it of course. No one is going to do that for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Programming is like anything else really. Most people can learn the basics from a book. If you can’t learn things from books or online resources then you’ll have to pay someone to try to teach you.

To learn guitar I got a couple of books and learnt the basics ok. After that it was just practice. If I want to have a professional tutor me I have to pay for it of course. No one is going to do that for free.
          I’m not asking anyone to do anything for free, I am just disappointed that there is no government funding for retraining and new skills. With a proper course I could quickly become a proficient programmer, and have the qualifications to actually work in the industry as a programmer.

Comment

That would be cool yeah. To be fair though no country I know of does that. There’s no budget for it. If I wanted to switch career now I’d have to use my own money to learn what I needed to do.

Sucks for today’s youth. In my day uni was free.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              In my day uni was free.
              And all *this* was nowt but fields...

Comment

Scandinavian countries that banked all their oil money don't charge for tuition.

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                And all *this* was nowt but fields...
                Get up 8 hours before we went to bed, lick the road clean, etc ECT.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post

Get up 8 hours before we went to bed, lick the road clean, etc ECT.
                  In black & white too!

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                    I’m not asking anyone to do anything for free, I am just disappointed that there is no government funding for retraining and new skills. With a proper course I could quickly become a proficient programmer, and have the qualifications to actually work in the industry as a programmer.
                    It is unfortunate, because you may very well become a proficient programmer very quickly. I'm bad at studying by myself, but I'm a quick learner. In fact, I reckon you probably could become pretty decent.

Do you know anyone who also wants to start programming? Maybe you could team up and try one of the free courses/videos together.

Comment

Thing is, most of us had to go to university for the required skills. Personally I'm still paying for it 14 years later. That's the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                        It is unfortunate, because you may very well become a proficient programmer very quickly. I'm bad at studying by myself, but I'm a quick learner. In fact, I reckon you probably could become pretty decent.

Do you know anyone who also wants to start programming? Maybe you could team up and try one of the free courses/videos together.
                        I don’t know anyone who knows programming, let alone anyone people who don’t but who want to, TBH. I realise that might ‘work’ as an idea, but I’m not exactly going to be able to meet up with people at the moment. And I wouldn’t know how to link up with people in that situation.

Comment

Edit: people here utterly unhelpful
                          Last edited by Protocol Penguin; 02-11-2020, 16:43.

Comment

Hmm, after dozens of responses from myself and others doing the same, that is your response to what I said?

With your attitude you will have to do menial jobs all your life.
                            Last edited by cutmymilk; 02-11-2020, 12:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                              I don’t know anyone who knows programming, let alone anyone people who don’t but who want to, TBH. I realise that might ‘work’ as an idea, but I’m not exactly going to be able to meet up with people at the moment. And I wouldn’t know how to link up with people in that situation.
                              Jesus Christ.

Your attitude to people on here stinks, as does your sense of entitlement.

You want someone to upload programming skills into your head like when Tank gave Neo kung-fu skills in The Matrix, but you won't even look at the goop that Dozer handed you - which contains everything the body needs - because it reminds you of Tasty Wheat and doesn't taste like the juicy steak that Cypher was eating when conspiring with Agent Smith in that fancy restaurant.

You remind me of that loony on here a while back who was complaining that companies wouldn't take him on for free to learn IT on the job.

I'll just leave this here and bid thee farewell:

Comment

If you want to be successful in software development, you have to be able to self-learn. It's constantly changing and there aren't many companies about that are going to send you on a course every time a new API comes along or changes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you have to put the time in to keep your skills up-to-date - that means self-learning. If you're not prepared to do that, you will not succeed at this job. Applicants wouldn't get past the 1st round interviews at my firm without being able, prepared and wanting to do this.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 02-11-2020, 16:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X