United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    Absolutely! That Jamie Oliver has done really well...
    I mean, he has. He's rich.

I didn't say it had to be a business that would run for years and years I just mean that if you start off a good pub/restaurant business, you can make a lot of money. I guess I'm saying that the fact many people fail doesn't mean it's a bad business altogether.

Comment

It's insane trying to balance homeworking with the kids. With nursery and school shut atm we had been making use of my parents but due to impending surgery my Dad has to shield for 5 weeks of which we're two weeks into now. That's meant home working plus all three at home 100% of the time. Something has had to give and despite the schools utterly bizarre lack of thought put into parents situations the hard truth is its the home learning that's suffered most. Thankfully they're all very young kids so have years and years of schooling ahead of them but it makes everything a headache and despite the issues it would cause I'm all for scaling down school holidays for the rest of the year to account for their lost time.

All UK Adults are now targeted to have been offered the vaccine by 31 July 2021.

Comment

The problem is that we have been expected to deliver pretty much the same as we would in school. The education minister no doubt has visions of kids in their bedroom with all their books on their desk and laptops out from 9 til 3. The reality is that this is 10% of children yet it has been the case for teachers. Workload during this time is double, however only about 50% of work set is being done. This is because we cant do things like peer/self assessment in class and have to mark everything ourselves. Before anyone calls me lazy for not marking everything myself, a lesson focussed on self assessment and correction is way more effective than endless teaching and marking where pupils barely read your feedback.

So no, it isnt fair to teachers to ask them to give up holidays just because some kids haven't progressed.

Comment

Yeah it's been difficult for us in your 3rd lockdown with balancing work and school. My wife is now working part time alongside being self employed and with two kids in nursery and one home from school it's just been a constant challenge.

My folks are in Wales and looking after my disabled sister in their own bubble so that's my side of the family out and then my wife's family live over an hour away so no bubble option there... And well, no-one wants to child care bubble with a family that has three kids... Harsh but true.

The only shining light has been my wife is classed as s key worker through the new part time role so my daughter is now going to school 2 days a week. Still it's a crazy situation day by day.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            The problem is that we have been expected to deliver pretty much the same as we would in school. The education minister no doubt has visions of kids in their bedroom with all their books on their desk and laptops out from 9 til 3. The reality is that this is 10% of children yet it has been the case for teachers. Workload during this time is double, however only about 50% of work set is being done. This is because we cant do things like peer/self assessment in class and have to mark everything ourselves. Before anyone calls me lazy for not marking everything myself, a lesson focussed on self assessment and correction is way more effective than endless teaching and marking where pupils barely read your feedback.

So no, it isnt fair to teachers to ask them to give up holidays just because some kids haven't progressed.
            How much holiday do teachers get off per year?

Comment

Just if we’re complaining, I have two kids both at home now (since I don’t even remember when) and my wife and I both work full full time. And it’s a total mess. We’re all a total mess.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                What we are contracted for. You too could be a teacher if you are jealous though

Comment

Honestly not as much as people think. In theory they get ~16 weeks off, like where the kids aren't in school - but that's not really true, because they spend probably half of that doing a combination of training or other forms of work that don't involve having kids with them in a classroom.

Comment

So at the least 8 weeks paid off a year? 16 weeks at best, paid? And teachers couldn’t POSSIBLY spend a little more of that on marking, curriculum, whatever needs doing?

Ok.

Comment

If teaching was such the well-paid and luxuriantly-holidayed doss it's being presented as here, the sector wouldn't be in such a crisis to recruit and retain new teachers. I'd encourage anyone of that view to give it a try and see how long they last.

Comment

So at the least 8 weeks paid off a year? 16 weeks at best, paid? And teachers couldn’t POSSIBLY spend a little more of that on marking, curriculum, whatever needs doing?

Ok.
                        Dude you're a douche you do realise that don't you?

Comment

Both my in-laws are retired teachers and my sister-in-law works with schools for troubled students. Anybody who takes the stance of "but teachers get so much time off a year because of the school holidays" can **** right off as far as I'm concerned.

Until you've seen the amount of prep work and marking teachers have to do as well as the meetings and things to help with under-performing / troubled students you have no idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                            Dude you're a douche you do realise that don't you?
                            That's the shorter version of my post.

Comment

Yep, I don't tend to get too defensive after years of the same comments about finishing work at 3 and all the sweet holidays. I just kinda nod, agree and recommend that they do if they want a cushty life. That stops the conversation right there with something like "nah I couldnt cope with 30 teenagers in a classroom. I remember what my class was like at school. "

So in a way, you agree that we need a break!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Just if we’re complaining, I have two kids both at home now (since I don’t even remember when) and my wife and I both work full full time. And it’s a total mess. We’re all a total mess.
                                It is really difficult for a LOT of families. We have taken pupils into the hubs who don't qualify for it on compassionate grounds so if its that bad, contact the council. You are certainly not alone.

Teachers where I work don't want to be working from home, for the record. We aren't on furlough and are just as frustrated as everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X