Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hahaha

Comment

Finished this last night and really enjoyed it. I came around to what the story was trying to do and respected that. Even though it went places which at the outset I found shocking and even perverse, everything within it - no matter how extreme - ultimately felt plausible within the rules and motivations of the world. And that probably only made it even more impactful to see

how your favourite characters could be slowly twisted into unconscionable monsters (Tommy WTF man you ass!), and the obvious hate figures could slowly be seen in a more sympathetic light, if not totally redeemed.

I love how the game took its time to pick at and unravel all this, and some of the set piece scenarios where you seem to be literally fighting through conflicted motivations, e.g.

the escape from the Seraphite settlement attack,

were extremely effective. I think those many complainants who threw their toys out of their prams because the story didn't do exactly what they wanted it to do - such as Angry Joe and his pissant 'army' - are juvenile. Likewise those who complained the story wasn't as gay/trans as they wanted it to be, such as Stephanie Sterling and the Kotaku lot, but they will probably be happy with TLOU3

(Lev as lead protagonist, surely?).

There's some great survival horror here too. The

'Ground Zero' hospital basement containment facility with Abby

gave me the kind of fear and dread I haven't felt from a game since the first Dead Space.

And the environmental art design and environmental storytelling were outstanding throughout. Here's another interior snap that I took, of an apartment formerly inhabited by a nerdy gaming/manga-loving couple, whose game of D&D appears to have been interrupted by the outbreak. Love all the spot-on details, e.g. the tankards and the portable speakers for mood music! There's even a place in the bedroom set aside for painting mini-figures.

Practically every interior has a story-vignette of this kind. It's incredible.

Pity there's no multiplayer component yet as there are many maps here just itching to be played competitively. Anyway, great stuff. Good job Naughty Dog.
      Last edited by Golgo; 26-01-2021, 20:11.

Comment

Indeed. As I started on the Abby segments I almost lost motivation to play it (as I had no desire to play as her) but did a complete 180 with it, and thought the 2nd half of the game was so much stronger and more impactful than the first.

Comment

Originally posted by dazza_cole View Post
          Indeed. As I started on the Abby segments I almost lost motivation to play it (as I had no desire to play as her) but did a complete 180 with it, and thought the 2nd half of the game was so much stronger and more impactful than the first.
          Yeah, I found the same.

Somehow Abby ended up seeming less crazy and more reasonable than Ellie.

Comment

^^^ me too ^^^

Not many games could pull something like that off.

Comment

Ellie = Angry that Joel killed the surgeon that could have taken her life but saved all of mankind. Won't subsequently head out to see if anyone else is still alive who can formulise a cure but will head out to massacre a thousand people who were and weren't indirectly related to Joel being killed for killing the surgeon.

By the end of the game it's very easy to swing round to Abbie's side of the argument not being too bad

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Ellie = Angry that Joel killed the surgeon that could have taken her life but saved all of mankind. Won't subsequently head out to see if anyone else is still alive who can formulise a cure but will head out to massacre a thousand people who were and weren't indirectly related to Joel being killed for killing the surgeon.

By the end of the game it's very easy to swing round to Abbie's side of the argument not being too bad

Personally I wouldn't say it's quite that easy/clear cut. Young/teen Abby actively and callously encouraged her father - the surgeon - to kill a girl her own age (moments before they were saving a zebra momma, how kind!), and he himself didn't want Joel to know about it as it was clearly a medically unethical thing to do. Joel was right to do whatever he needed to stop it, so his own death from that was unjust. It's true though that Ellie went totally ape**** in her pursuit of revenge, especially in going after Abby again after already slaughtering everyone close to her (Abby had lost more by the time they left Seattle than Ellie had, I think). The end cutscene shows Ellie just about ready to start a new chapter with Joel and getting ready to forgive him, so I guess this is meant to show how his torture/murder on the very next day was a massive kicker and turned her into Kratos, basically.

Last edited by Golgo; 27-01-2021, 11:40.

Comment

I think that the game makes you question your feelings to the story so much as it unfolds is part of its brilliance. It's probably been long enough now that I can start a second playthrough and appreciate it even more.

Comment

Just finished this after buying it in the sale last week. At the beginning I thought it was a bit slow and lacked the narrative drive / motivation of the first game. Revenge - so what? But then it sank its hooks into me and I couldn’t put it down. Like a few here, my heart sank when I realised I was going to have to

play as Abby

then that gameplay arc turned out to be even better. I felt they could have ended the whole thing at

the farmhouse

and the last couple of chapters weren’t quite up to the rest, but really, it was an amazing thirty hours of gaming, and I’ll definitely be doing a second run through at some point in the future.

Comment

Yeah, it's an amazing experience. Few games manage so effectively to get under your skin and inside your head and get you questioning actions that once felt so certain and right. The decisions Naughty Dog made are very bold and mature. The game's a triumph on all accounts.
                      Last edited by Zen Monkey; 06-04-2021, 11:51.

Comment

I'm so glad people are now seeing this game for the masterpiece it is. I couldn't understand the idiots at the begining who really went overboard on the hate for this game. It's as if they were all playing with their heads up their arse or they skipped every story segment.
                        I hope this game goes down in history for the quality item it is rather than some shock horror fan dreams killer.

Comment

Incorrect post

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                            Just finished this after buying it in the sale last week. At the beginning I thought it was a bit slow and lacked the narrative drive / motivation of the first game. Revenge - so what? But then it sank its hooks into me and I couldn’t put it down. Like a few here, my heart sank when I realised I was going to have to

play as Abby

then that gameplay arc turned out to be even better. I felt they could have ended the whole thing at

the farmhouse

and the last couple of chapters weren’t quite up to the rest, but really, it was an amazing thirty hours of gaming, and I’ll definitely be doing a second run through at some point in the future.
                            I'd actually agree with that (it feels like they wanted to shove a little bit into TLoU II in the event its another 7-8 years before another one is released. The point you mentioned would have been a good place to conclude it though.

Comment

I am considering another playthrough without the grainfilter on (I sold it before the option to disable was patched in). Any good changes in recent patches?

Comment

Finally starting another play through on this after getting a replacement PS4. Only played the first half hour and I’d clearly forgotten what an amazing looking game it is. I’m really going to enjoy going through this again.

Comment

Working...
                                X