This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    To be honest, it's just me being flippant about the Tories out of sheer despair at their ineptness. It feels like we have a side-arm of Trumps Administration they're so woeful.
    It's not particularly helpful misrepresenting goings on then, because that simply undermines the point you're trying to make - if they're being inept, you don't need to invent things ala The Daily Mail.
    Last edited by MartyG; 14-04-2020, 13:47.

Comment

Whats more alarming is the government saying where not eligible to join the EU ppe scheme despite the European union saying where still in the eu therefore we can but we keep saying no.

Britain failed to utilise opportunities to get items such as masks, gowns and gloves under an EU initiative, according to reports. | ITV National News

it stinks of political posturing and putting lives at risk to just prove some misguided politcal stance of us not needing the EU.
      Last edited by Lebowski; 14-04-2020, 12:39.

Comment

Comment

Not entirely sure what that graph is representing without context.

The official figures for COVID-19 deaths week of 3rd-9th total 3294 (786 previous week) - these are the hospital deaths that are announced daily (reports earlier today showed another 10-12% are not accounted for in those figures. that chart would suggest nearer 40%). 2019 recorded deaths for same period were around 10,000, so if I'm reading that right, there was a total of about 16,000 deaths week ending 3rd April

(okay, yep, official figures are 16,387 total deaths for that week meaning 20.1% of deaths were COVID-19 releated officially meaning an increase of 61.8% compared to last year). Figures here in spreadsheet for the morbidly curious: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nglandandwales

Edit - yeah. missed a day so not a massive increase compared to previous days in infections or tested numbers - the trend line is still rising tho. It's actually ...

778 new deaths, 5252 new cases (people tested though, 11,879 - percentage of positives of those tested 44.21%).

Which is more in line with numbers tested, it's not really ramping up - I can't see the 100,000 a day target being hit in the next two weeks.

Last edited by MartyG; 14-04-2020, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            That graph is confusing until you see the "excess over" bit. I thought people were coming back to life for the months prior.

Comment

That’s the next stage of this outbreak.

Comment

Thing is, the graphs aren't as useful as people think - because what do they actually show? If the media publishes a graph with that line going down, it's going to be a diasaster. People will start campaigning to end the lockdown and that's just gonna drive the number back up.

Realistically, what's the endgame here? Everyone stays indoors until there's a vaccine?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Thing is, the graphs aren't as useful as people think - because what do they actually show?
                  Usually they tell you on the graph.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Thing is, the graphs aren't as useful as people think - because what do they actually show? If the media publishes a graph with that line going down, it's going to be a diasaster. People will start campaigning to end the lockdown and that's just gonna drive the number back up.

Realistically, what's the endgame here? Everyone stays indoors until there's a vaccine?
                    Pretty much, alternatives being able to measure what percentage of the population has already been infected so that you can guarantee infections won't go exponential, or daily infections rate gets closer to zero. The charts show that an exponential rise has been avoided, so distancing is working, the infections, whilst rising are remaining fairly linear (which is what you want to see if not a decline).

We should be grateful that the endgame isn't being decided by these people as it is in the US.

Because. experts
                    Last edited by MartyG; 14-04-2020, 16:44.

Comment

I love the Mayor of NY atm, hope he keeps giving Trump the finger

Comment

It’ll be interesting to see what Raab says on Thursday concerning the lockdown and how much longer it will go on for.

I’ve read comments that a predicted 3 week extension is what is expected to be announced. That roughly aligns us to France after Macron’s announcement yesterday.

Does that sound a safe assumption, given what we know at present?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

Because. experts
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

If I can credit the UK Government with one thing, it's whoever made the genius idea of having Mark Strong voice their Coronavirus ads. So soothing

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              If I can credit the UK Government with one thing, it's whoever made the genius idea of having Mark Strong voice their Coronavirus ads. So soothing
                              It would be better if the background music was him song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" like he does in Kingsman 2.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X