X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Finally got to a mission in the 70s that was nothing but drones.
      I could take out the normal drones and even a few of those wider ones, but the red ones kept caning me.
      Always seemed to get them both on me and run out of fuel at the wrong time.
      If it's the one I'm thinking about you also get a huge amount of wasps plus queen at the end, thus it's hard to tool up for. I use a quick action sniper or one of the better shotty's plus one of the ME series missile launchers.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
        If it's the one I'm thinking about you also get a huge amount of wasps plus queen at the end, thus it's hard to tool up for. I use a quick action sniper or one of the better shotty's plus one of the ME series missile launchers.

Good luck with it.
        Oh blimey, I hope not!

Got a short-range Wing Diver lance that one or two shots the normal drones and a longer-range one to pick one of the bigger drones off or bring them over, but it's the red ones that get me. Basts.

Land in the wrong place and they'll blast you with a constant beam that can kill in one go, if you're not careful.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Oh blimey, I hope not!

Got a short-range Wing Diver lance that one or two shots the normal drones and a longer-range one to pick one of the bigger drones off or bring them over, but it's the red ones that get me. Basts.

Land in the wrong place and they'll blast you with a constant beam that can kill in one go, if you're not careful.
          Yep that certainly sounds like the same one (sorry my weaponry was for Ranger), the red ones take a lot of hits and are very agile. When they are gone you think it's all over then the sky is filled with wasps and a queen.

The drones tend to be collected together in groups, they have blue markings on them, hit one and it's mates blue markings turn red - as if activated, as long as you concentrate on those and not shoot any of the dormant ones and activate another group it makes the level more doable you just have to be a bit patient with it.
          It's also one of the most important levels for preserving the health drops as there aren't many and could be spread over large distances.

Playing as Ranger I tend to hide between buildings and shoot up as they fly over.

It is a really tricky level to get through, if you are having too much trouble may be easier to get through on a lower difficulty, I'm pretty certain I couldn't get through on Hard and had to come back to it when I powered up a bit, it's not that long ago I got through on Hardest.
          Last edited by Anpanman; 06-03-2020, 23:08.

Comment

Cheers mate, all sound advice.
            VP helped me get through, but we still seemed to make them swarm!

Monstrous late-night session with VP and Prinny (mercifully without a mic so no soundtrack of belching), then a bit later, RandomBS was up at the crack of dawn with a bowl of microwave fibre bran to keep him regular.

Apologies to Lord Vader who we booted to let RBS join. You were a good fighter.

Superb run of missions with a nice narrative. First one sees you creep through a valley to get back to your base as Intel says a crane there might defeat the spiky roller dino. You get detected.

Next level has you approach the base. Did my usual thing of flying up to the spawn spikes to take them out, but there was a sea of aliens and frogs, so our next attempt saw me being more cautious and sniping from the other side of the map. So many enemies!

Then we infiltrated our base, which was overrun with enemies. Proper Aliens vibe as the blast doors open and we're all opening up the firepower to suppress the crazy amount of creatures.
            Finally we fought our way through and there's a really nice moment where you see metallic feet and as you get closer, the robotic behemoth is revealed!

You then make your way back outside and it's time to show the Ravagers what it's like to be dwarfed. The greys were swarming, but I stomped them into oblivion, their purple blood splashed around me like a monstrous wine maker. The sight of them trying to crawl away, but getting nothing but the underside of my boot as reward, was incredibly satisfying.

Heavy boots of lead.
            Fills his victims full of dread.

So the scene was set. Giant dino Vs. giant mech in a port-based showdown. We gave RandomBS the honour of pilot and he squared up to his opponent for some Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em action.

KAPOW! WALLOP!
            Ting ting! Nobody threw in the towel and Robo Drago smashed Jurassic Apollo Creed into pulp. His blood drenching a kilometre long strip to the ocean.

We did some other great missions too, like demolishing a wasp nest and clearing a beach of queen wasps.

VP enjoyed the thrill of his Fencer's twin gattling guns and I got a great Wing Diver weapon, Stardust Cannon, that stripped the cannons from the segmented legs of the tripods in seconds and held off a torrent of flying nasties.

Found that good woodlice farming mission. There's a crack in the rocks by a waterfall and I could see them rollin' (tryna catch me ridin' dirty) on the radar, just a mass of red blips as I opened fire, just leaving a pile of goodies in their wake.

Thanks all, great session. See you tonight!

Comment

Those missions were classic EDF.

The first one I joined, with the pylons, was an exercise in co-ordinated efficiency. All men utilising ranged weaponry for the purposes of gettings.

The tunnels one I got kicked from. Gutted. The sarcastic mocking from the ‘team’ made things so much more bearable.

The next mission with the Co Stompe robot defending the base was superb. I’ve done that mission in both roles, and it has an entirely different atmosphere. It’s the closest you’re going to get to a Starship Troopers outpost scene homage, too.

The next mission was great. Picking off the ants while some wagonhoss piloted the Co Stompe and duked it out with the Maggie Smith monster. Once again, totally different playing that role.

I seem to remember on wasp nest one mission, Captain Chompflaps rage quitting after he flew into a hole in the nest and got ragged, so none of us could revive him due to his altitude. What a pussy.

I missed the bletching. You all did. I did some stifled beasts, too. I had three quickfire burburs - a 7.3%, a 10%, and a 5%. By the time the 1am bailout crew nashed off, I felt proper queasy. I played one mission and practically fell asleep in the chair while blasting ants.

Comment

Larks.

Few missions last night with the men of the EDF.

Super mega epicness on a field full of kaiju, greys, frogs and other schidt, with our jaegers and laser tanks blasting around. Chompy managing to perform the healing tasks marvellously well throughout. One bit had 2 of the Maggie Smith rock monsters chasing me, and eventually I got flattened. Within a minute, though, I was patched up.

There were ludicrous amounts of drops on those missions last night. The green ant mish was hilarious - it was just bedlam at one point with red dots everywhere. The big spiddas in the cave of lanterns was a good un, too. Then the expansive mountain range one, where we all ended up miles apart and taking pot shots at the enemies in the background attacking our comrades.

That final mission of the night, though. If I hadn’t already shat my pants, it was definitely **** yer pants good. Multiple Queen ants, king Spiddas, purple tadpoles, just masses of everything big, all jizzing in your face until you scream ‘No more!!!!!!’ It was pure filth, arl owa yer.

Comment

Really enjoying these comments gents, sounds like you are having a blast with it.

Comment

Did a mission with VP, Prinny and Fuse.
                    Loads of everything, including a bunch of spiky roller dinos. Solution?

Choplift a load of megabots in!

Within seconds, pandemonium.

Dino basts met their match...

It was like a robotic Royal Rumble!

Comment

That was brilliant.

Wish I could get on this more.

Comment

Before you arrived, we did a mental mission that was pure EDF.

City. Train tracks. Spawn spikes/anchors/lanterns. All their spawns. Loads and loads of greys and frogs. Loads.
                        Staff: Me, VP, Zaki and Kryss.

I died really early on as I didn't realise just how many greys there were and how heavily armed they were. Thought I was done, stuck helpless atop a skyscraper.

Thankfully, Zaki was also a Wing Diver and got me back on my feet. It was game time.

Between us, we chipped away at the overwhelming odds until Zaki was bested. Then Kryss fell. Without the distractions of other players, the enemies all turned on VP's Fencer. It was too much. VP was also knocked unconscious.

Me against an army of greys and an anchor still spewing enemies was too much for my Wing Diver with paper armour. I can take out a grey at point blank or demolish an anchor, but not when they're teaming up.

I needed to get the team back up, especially VP's twin gattling guns.

I pied pipered the enemies to the corner of the map, then legged it down to the other, waiting for them. I'd see the greys emerge from the buildings giving attack signals when they'd seen me and talking to each other with their filthy alien jibber-jabber, then I'd blast across the city, pick up some health and get VP and the boys back on their feet.

It was on a knife-edge throughout. I ran out of petrol at the wrong moment, hopping to the safety of the buildings, whilst getting peppered with bullets, finally recharging in shelter.

This went on for ages. I probably got VP on his feet about 10 times and it felt like their numbers weren't dwindling and we'd never do it, but EDF rule No.1: The EDF NEVER give up.

With each circuit, we'd chip away at them. Partially nude aliens, stripped of their armour were looking on the ropes.

Then the anchor fell.

Finally, with the small fry gone, just one flamer grey remained and we set about Hoovering up the ocean of goodies. We were all set to get loads of armour and weapons.

"Kryss has left the room"

Worst time ever for his internet to go down.
                        We must've picked up 200+ armour crates.

We finished off the last guy and the 3 remaining EDF troops limped home with their swag after a ridiculously epic battle.

A true show of perseverance to show the Ravagers that outnumbered never means a guaranteed victory.

EDF! EDF!
                        Last edited by QualityChimp; 08-03-2020, 19:45.

Comment

My addition to the ones above -

Comment

Some more thoughts from the weekend.
                            Firstly, thanks to everyone who's got onboard with EDF5 either buying the game, renewing their PSN, setting alarms to get up early or defying sleep for one more mission. I'm having a blast, thanks!

Hopping about the missions as, although I've progressed to the triple figure levels, we're all progressing at different speeds, and I feel a bit bad dragging people who've just done mission 5 into mission 100!
                            I've found it's always fun to go back to earlier missions to get more armour and try out new weapons or classes.
                            Been having fun as a Ranger who, although he can't fly (yet, got a chopper for later missions), is great having heavy weaponry from the start like machine guns, shotguns and sniper rifles.

Red-did the first monster mission, which still outstays its welcome, but instils fear when this ginormous kaiju stops his stomping to turn and look at you and smashes through a building just teach you a lesson for shooting him...

One thing we were chatting about was the graphics, which although are ropy, they handle what's going on really well. When you think there are hundreds of different enemies and bullets flying around and it still has processing power to show damage to enemies and splash alien blood about.
                            It's hilarious just how much gore there is. Like an explosion at a Ribena factory.
                            Let's paint the town purple.

Also of note is the crazy amount of tiny detail in the game from pretty houses or playgrounds to various shops, all stocked with various wares...

...all the way up to city-sized spaceships filling the horizon.
                            It's easy to get used to this in EDF, but there's still a sense of awe when the game drops something cool into the game.

Comment

I should also apologise to my comrades-in-arms for getting the absolute titters on a series of missions with the frogs where, instead of killing each wave of amphibian commandos, I was seeing if I could shoot the legs off every one of them so that they were all sat down shuffling around on their slimy arses.

I'm so sorry!

"They look like they should be afraid of the wet, but they're not!"

Comment

Having loads of fun with the boys and Don Chimp!

Wish I could stay on longer (hoping to change that).

Comment

Working...
                                X