X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will go without a hitch!

So will this!

Comment

When was the last time anyone here saw somebody sneeze or even cough wearing a mask?

Some people here still have not understood that the masks are just like the handkerchiefs we're all taught to despise now as unhygienic. They have been replaced with tissues we use once then dispose of in the nearest bin, at least that's the ideal.

The point that the anti-mask wearers are trying to get across is that the masks themselves become the source of hand and surface contamination and much more likely to pass on any infection than the occasion cough or sneeze. Is that really so difficult to understand and accept? We've been told that C-19 can remain infectious even on a hard surface for several days so anywhere your hands or the mask itself touches is potentially a source of infection for that long.

It just seems like common sense to me and many others.

Comment

When was the last time anyone here saw somebody sneeze or even cough wearing a mask?
        Time before last I was doing the weekly shop.

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
        The point that the anti-mask wearers are trying to get across is that the masks themselves become the source of hand and surface contamination and much more likely to pass on any infection than the occasion cough or sneeze.
        Sadly the majority are really not. They are being arseholes for the sake of it. Just Google "maskless selfies" to see.

Nobody said that masks replace hygiene, which is what you seem to be saying. There are probably people who think that, but they also likely do other stupid things. Yes, there are stupid people in the world. Stupidity transcends age, gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, location and console preference. The problem is when we split into camps about something as important as this. There is no debate: wear a mask.

The story of the first pandemic in our lifetimes ends when everyone does their part.

Comment

It's not just mask wearing that's the problem. People also don't know infection control methods, for example, pulling your mask down over your chin and neck to talk/eat. Your chin and neck have been exposed to the air, now you've rubbed the inside of the mask all over it, ready to be put back over your mouth.

Comment

Yet again, any attempt to justify not wanting to wear a mask comes down to its improper use. Which is the straw people need to clutch because, really, they know they work but are just acting out. Rather than posting about not wearing masks or following up with stories of your own carelessness as if to say “see? I told you it wouldn’t work” that, quite honestly, have the rest of us dying with embarrassment for you, just wear your mask, wear it properly and, if you actually have any genuine concern (which I somewhat doubt at this point), educate others on how to use them properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Yet again, any attempt to justify not wanting to wear a mask comes down to its improper use. Which is the straw people need to clutch because, really, they know they work but are just acting out. Rather than posting about not wearing masks or following up with stories of your own carelessness as if to say “see? I told you it wouldn’t work” that, quite honestly, have the rest of us dying with embarrassment for you, just wear your mask, wear it properly and, if you actually have any genuine concern (which I somewhat doubt at this point), educate others on how to use them properly.
              Or buy a full on gas mask or scuba gear with an O2 tank...

Comment

Good to see the government coming up with a strategy to tackle obesity...

Giving people 50% off at restaurants in August.

Comment

My Mom died of Cancer in May.
                  She died too soon and it still hurts.

By wearing a mask, I believe (backed with medical evidence) that I am minimising the transmission of a virus that is still killing around 100 people a day.

That's the family and friends of 100 people also experiencing that grief of someone taken too early.
                  If I can stop others feeling that suffering, I will.

You might be asymptomatic and you will probably recover, but you could be unconsciously spreading it to those who won't.

Wearing a mask is the very least we can do to reduce the number of deaths, eradicate Covid-19 and go back to normality and it should have been brought in months ago.

Comment

I can't find the article now, but I read a few days ago that widespread mask use and improved hygiene practices have more-or-less eliminated the flu season across the world. Australia's usual flu season hasn't even happened this year. This in turn will have greatly reduced the amount of people who end up in hospital due to it. Even if it's eventually proven that wearing masks does nothing or very little for Covid-19, it is pretty clear that it greatly reduces the spread of normal flu/cold symptoms and one of the main issues of this virus is having enough hospital beds free to let people get treatment.

I'd completely agree that wearing masks is not a replacement for other existing rules. For example if they tell me we can go back to the office and sit together at full capacity but wearing masks, that's not happening. The idea that the government are simply using it as a means of false security to get people back into shops, there's probably some truth in that too. But it doesn't make the act of wearing a mask - as a temporary arrangement during a health crisis - a stupid one. And honestly if it makes it a widespread cultural change to wear a mask and wash your hands frequently if you've got flu/cold/hay fever, I'll be glad of that. Think how many lives we could have extended over the last decade or so just by not having some tosser walking around town with snot dribbling down their face, spreading disease to people who really could have done with not getting it.

The government screwed up (yet again) by not insisting on masks for people leaving the house when they brought in the lockdown and having a period of a few weeks where things seemed like they were getting back to normal, all with no masks. People have had too long being able to wander about without them that now it seems daft when "it was fine before" and now we've got ridiculous arguments about whether you should wear them when you're going into a Greggs or not and no shops wanting to enforce it because they're scared of the very realistic chance that somebody will react with violence if they're asked to wear a mask.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      My Mom died of Cancer in May.
                      She died too soon and it still hurts.

By wearing a mask, I believe (backed with medical evidence) that I am minimising the transmission of a virus that is still killing around 100 people a day.

That's the family and friends of 100 people also experiencing that grief of someone taken too early.
                      If I can stop others feeling that suffering, I will.

You might be asymptomatic and you will probably recover, but you could be unconsciously spreading it to those who won't.

Wearing a mask is the very least we can do to reduce the number of deaths, eradicate Covid-19 and go back to normality and it should have been brought in months ago.
                      I may have missed this. So I'm sorry for you loss ,mate. And your desire to act the way you have described above is admirable. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                        I may have missed this. So I'm sorry for you loss ,mate. And your desire to act the way you have described above is admirable. Thank you.
                        Thanks mate, that's appreciated.

I don't like to bang on about it, but I just wanted to add some context as to why I think wearing a mask is such an easy gesture to help others more at risk.

I have a couple of high-risk friends that I feel really bad for because as the UK seems to be going "Oi oi! Let's get down Wevverspoons", they are still shielding.

The only way they're going to feel safe is if we eradicate the virus like other countries have managed, but because people don't want to social distance or wear masks, it's going to take a lot longer.

Are you still shielding or are you able to go out, Nak?

Comment

Not too hard to guess the timeline on this one as Johnson says the Second Wave is starting to appear in Europe.

July - Quick shutdown travel to Spain
                          August - Push Second Wave in Europe
                          September - Blame UK Second Wave on Europe citing decisive action from themselves ala Spain

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Thanks mate, that's appreciated.

I don't like to bang on about it, but I just wanted to add some context as to why I think wearing a mask is such an easy gesture to help others more at risk.

I have a couple of high-risk friends that I feel really bad for because as the UK seems to be going "Oi oi! Let's get down Wevverspoons", they are still shielding.

The only way they're going to feel safe is if we eradicate the virus like other countries have managed, but because people don't want to social distance or wear masks, it's going to take a lot longer.

Are you still shielding or are you able to go out, Nak?
                            I've about given up. It wrecked me tbh. I am going out but being as careful as possible. No pubs etc. Rarely to shops but enjoying the weather and masks when needed. My daughter returns to school September so I cannot avoid it.

Comment

Okay, mate. It must be frustrating.
                              Take care out there!

Comment

Government shows its cluelessness by encouraging people to continue booking holidays despite saying they may quarantine you.

And I feel like every time I see a picture of the Guardian of someone wearing a face mask they have it on with their nose exposed. Utterly useless.

Comment

Working...
                                X