No announcement yet.

Life is Strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fifth and final episode of Life is Strange will be released on 20th October, publisher Square Enix has announced.Th…

It all ends on October 20th est

Comment

Reminder that the final ep is out tomorrow. Deeply love this.

Comment

Just completed it a couple hours ago. Ending left a little to be desired but it wrapped it up nicely.

I really think it needs more love here.

Comment

I'm going to start the final ep tonight. The game might not be original in design but it's done so damned well, definitely one of my top picks for this year

Comment

The last ep feels more straight forward in terms of gameplay, more just a narrative to wrap things up. Liked the final story though and

the final choice you have to make

Definitely one of my top 5 faves of this year.

Comment

First game I've played that's dropped the c-bomb....but that may be because I've never played a GTA game!

Comment

Finished episode 1 last night, again. Beat it with a couple of friends early September but obviously needed to do it again to progress further.

Got the rest loaded onto my PC, just gotta play through them. Hopefully before Saturday too, so I can discuss them with peeps at MCM Expo.

What I will say though, playing through again and choosing my gut choice on each decision made the game seem far more engaging than when me and my friends went through making Max basically the worst person.

Don't really play this genre of game but I can definitely see the appeal, even if only as a contrast to the rest of gaming!

Comment

Didn't play past episode 1, Chloe is an awful character and the writing on a whole stinks of

Did however keep up to date with various streams as it came out, and that ending.... for a game that preached that your choices mattered, it goes and ends like Mass effect 3, here's 2 options regardless of what you've done.

Comment

From playing episode 1, I completely agree with you about Chloe.

I've actually warmed to her a little in episode 2, which I just completed. I completely gave Kate the cold shoulder though, and that has had consequences but I didn't particularly care for that character either. Bit of a wet flannel.

Anyway, guess I'll have to keep playing to see what happens next!

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                      Didn't play past episode 1, Chloe is an awful character and the writing on a whole stinks of

Did however keep up to date with various streams as it came out, and that ending.... for a game that preached that your choices mattered, it goes and ends like Mass effect 3, here's 2 options regardless of what you've done.

It's nothing like mass effect.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                        It's nothing like mass effect.
                        can't tell if serious.

Comment

Mass Effect had a crap ending, regardless of whether or not you just had to choose at the end.
                          Life is Strange is a bit different in that the time travel mechanic means that no decision is right or wrong, nor final.
                          So the ending doesn't really feel out of place with the rest of the game. Both endings are right for you, depending on how you feel and have behaved throughout.

Comment

no difference at all from my point of view, your choices made throughout both games boil doing to absolutely nothing but pick left or right, lazy is what it is, it means that what ever method you choose to the advance the story (like little stupid stuff like saving the bird) meant nothing, nothing at all. A smart developer would have your choices effect the ending.

"this action with have consequences". no it won't.

Comment

Just finished episode 5 just night. I can see why some might complain about the ending, but the journey was so great it doesn't matter so much (yes, even if consequence plays a major part of how you approach the game).

I'm not a massive fan of games like these. Heavy Rain was very good but I generally get bored of the Telltale games, even when I love the franchise they're based on. But there's something special about Life is Strange. The production style, the soundtrack, the story and characters, the influences ... it all feels very cohesive and focused. The quiet, carefree moments work so well with the intense moments. The detective work is fun, and you really feel like you're shaping your own journey through the story.

While playing it I was thinking about the inevitable second play-through and the different choices I might make, but now it's over it doesn't seem right to go back. I like how it played out.

If I'd played it last year it would have definitely made my top 3 GOTY list.

Comment

I thought it was a bit crap, to be honest. Especially gameplay-wise. Spoilers will follow if you're still sensitive to those six months on.

It's a game that appears to have been made by people who had no idea what they were doing. This isn't even the end of its issues, just the headline news:

In episode 1, you're taught that you can obtain an item, reverse time, and keep that item. It's the focus of many of the game's puzzles - few as there are.

In episode 2, you're tasked with saving Chloe from a train. Should you fail this task, you rewind and try again. Should you fail again, you rewind again. And on and on until eventually you put the clues together and save her. The sense of "peril" is so artificial that it's completely meaningless and it feels as though the developers didn't really understand what to do with the power they had given Max, like they had no idea how to create a "game" now that they'd made all the gameplay meaningless because you can just do-over. Add to that the stupid pixel-hunts which amount to basically all the game is over its five episodes and you don't get a fun episode.

In episode 3, well episode 3 is alright.

In episode 4, the real problem occurs. In this episode, you need to obtain a code-sheet from Frank. Chloe kills Frank and you grab the code-sheet, and then reverse time, but at this point the game completely throws its own rules out of the window for no reason. The game has taught you from episode one that you should be able to reverse time, keep the code-sheet, and also abort the mission before Chloe kills Frank. However, instead, it removes the code-sheet from you and forces you to play the scene over and over again until you do it right. The game explains to you in detail how the game world works, and then it breaks all its own rules for no reason. Inexcusable, really.

In episode 5, Max is walking through a tornado-ravaged part of town and the game instructs you to save as many people as possible. Except, erm, the reason that you're there is so that you can rewind back to before the tornado has happened, therefore this whole scene hasn't happened, therefore what exactly are you supposed to be saving people for?

By the end of it, I was questioning what the point of any of my actions were - which was maybe the point of the game, but I'm not sure it's entirely what they had in mind. It honestly doesn't appear like they had any idea what they had in mind, really.

Review review review review review review review review.

Comment

Working...
                                X