Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Bloodshot and it was ultimately pretty poor, with a nice twist that I didn't see coming, but was confused that it was about to be resolved about 60% in, so knew something was going to happen.
    Effects are all great and there are some nice shots, but it feels like a Vin Diesel vanity project and there's nothing new in there with nanobots as a MacGuffin that can resolve anything.

I do need to say that Eiza González really is bang-on and tip-top though.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Plus anything with Caroline Munro raises the score and the temperature of the room!
      Yep, Lamb's Navy Rum.

Comment

^Caroline Munro is gorge. Her and Linda Thorson. Absobrunette stunnaz.

Just watched Takeshi Kitano's BROTHER. It was pretty damn meh, tbh, very underwhelming, story-wise.

But lovely, atmospheric, urban/industrial environs shot by the eyes of a genius Japanese auteur in a big, alien country.

Alas, it did not work. The beautiful, jazzy score IS amazing, however.

Lifts it by at least two points, that is why this gets a 6.5/10!!!!!

Comment

Close (2019) - 5/10
          Strong female focused cast, but some of the acting and dialogue is a bit wooden and their relationship is inconsistent. The exotic setting is used to some effect, but the story is bland and not very interesting. Action scenes are ok with some excitement, but nothing special.

Comment

I watched two films this weekend:

Always Be My Maybe - A Netflix romantic comedy. It wasn't bad. Randall Park is good. He's entertaining to watch.

Ace Attorney - The Takashi Miike adaptation of the game. It's a crazy movie. Very entertaining but weird and with a lot of odd choices, the main one for me being the lighting in the movie. They go to real efforts to make characters look like the game and so they look really cartoony and fun but it's lit like some cheap grimy dark thriller with muted colours. There's one shot right at the end in sunshine where they pump up the colours and it's like a glimpse of what the rest of the movie should have looked like. Anyway, it's an odd film but enjoyable.

Comment

I watched The Babysitter: Killer Queen last night and really enjoyed it, although not as much as the original.
              It's still a blast and was fun to watch them so close together.
              Both films are a blast and are gory fun.

I also saw The Hunt, which was also excellent.
              This is the Blumhouse film that got banned because of a US shooting, but if they banned it every time there's a mass shooting in America, it would never come out. It was politically charged and even Trump moaned about it, but it pokes fun at both sides and it's not really what the film is about.

Really clever narrative structure at the start. Recommended, but try to go in dark!

Comment

I watched The Exorcist last night. Haven't seen it since I was a kid so I thought it deserved a grown up opinion.
                Honestly, I don't know what to think. There is a lot of good and bad.
                The pacing of the film is all over the place, but it has some great scenes. It ahead of its time for horror films.
                I watched the 2000 re-edit and I actually think it needs another edit to tighten it up.

Comment

I watched it recently too, after a 20-year gap, with my teenage kids. One fell asleep, the other two left about halfway through. I felt judged.

I agree with you: some amazing scenes, but on the whole it’s not as great as I remembered.

Comment

A lot of older horrors have dated and lost their sparkle, sadly. I watched ROSEMARY'S BABY last week and even found that a tad dull, tbh. Felt a slight mini-death inside, I thought that was an AMAZING movie about twenty years back but not so this time around.

I last saw THE EXORCIST at the cinema when they re-released it at the flicks for Halloween '98.

Have to say it was a great night, afterwards we all went for a Wendy's that night then went nightclubbin'. Everyone (bar us) had their Halloween cozzies on and I pulled a sexy witch.

It was great at the cinema 'cos they'd turned the central heating off and it was literally a chilling experience, really added a power to the spooky bits in the film. And quite intense watching it on the biggest screen in Leeds Odeon! Wunderbar!!!!

However...I really don't wanna watch it on the small screen again. But DEFFO would repeat that cinema experience again, there's a lot to be said for the big screen.

My dream would be to see FROM BEYOND on the big screen, radiators turned down to zero.

Comment

My dream is to go to a cold cinema with Jazzy and he can keep me warm in his arms.

My nightmare would be the above scenario but he’s drunk and confused me with a mate’s sofa.

Comment

Do you look like a sexy witch?

Comment

I watched His House on Netflix last night.
                          Yeah, pretty good and a fair few jumps, but it's definitely a more thoughtful horror than your standard haunted house film.

Comment

Mascots

My wife wanted to see it, and it's by Christopher Guest so how could I refuse?

It's a lovely film with one of the funniest interpretive dance routines I've ever seen

I'm trying to find Best In Show because she loves dogs.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Do you look like a sexy witch?
                            Depends on witch day it is

Comment

This isn't everything and it only looks like a fair bit of progress because it covers about three weeks of viewing:

The Old Guard
                              The Netflix Theron immortal soldiers movie, the idea is probably stronger than the material here. It's okay as a passable bit of action fluff but nothing to write home about and doesn't really go that far with the possibilities of the premise.

Mulan
                              The recent remake. As is par for the course, a soulless retread of the superior animated original. Can't think of anything of worth this version brings to the table beyond not being a hot mess.

Rollercoaster
                              As we begin to round up our tour of 1977 movies this is a film about a guy who is sabotaging rollercoasters to get a ransom to stop. A safety inspector gets caught up trying to help stop him. Sadly there's not as much action as there should be which is a shame as the early coaster derailment sets a decent bar despite obvious dummies. It was fairly entertaining though.

Home Alone
                              Been a while since I've seen this and it holds up really well despite now being thirty years old. What was really noticeable this time was the sheer amount of effort put into the films aesthetic to ensure that every single shot emanates a sense of Christmas. The clothing, wallpaper, furnishings, household objects etc is fully green and red themed in a way that would mean the McCallister household looks seasonal all year round in a really bizarre way in reality. The way the mistake of leaving Kevin is made through to the callbacks later in the film all work really well with only over familiarity playing against the film. Still, unquestionably, the best entry.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
                              This is still an enjoyable sequel but barring having too much love of New York I'd never consider it the better film. It's a retread through and through but with a danker look to it. It mostly gets by on the watchability of those in the film. I'd deduct ten points for Trump appearing in it if it weren't for the films biggest and most special saving grace, the ever amazing presence of Tim Curry.

Comment

I watched Colour of Space 2019 (Prime).
                                Nic Cage has an asteroid land in his remote farmhouse and things get pretty messed up, pretty quick.

Quite a weird film, but it's good to mix things up.

Comment

Working...
                                X