Emulation resolution basic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emulation resolution basic question

I don't usually run emulators on a tv and haven't tried for years.

Can anyone help me?

What's the best aspect ratios or other settings for older games on a HD TV?

Also some games seem slightly warped indicated by the text seeming squeezed ever so slightly.

Is there any guide to read up on this stuff? I only try occasionally anyway but it's always been spending more times on options than playing anything.

What device are you using for emulation, mate?
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Sometimes a PC to TV, and tested a friends RasPi single board. Thanks hope you're well.
      Last edited by monel; 20-05-2021, 13:28.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
        Sometimes a PC to TV, and tested a friends RasPi single board. Thanks hope you're well.
        Bit of a tricky one without knowing more. What PC software: MAME, Retroarch etc. etc.? Also would depend what set you are using. You shouldn't (usually) need to adjust your TV as the emulation software will output the games at the correct 4:3 ratio. Regarding settings I'm unsure if you are talking about scalers, scanlines or something else. In Retroarch and the Pi you can add bezels/borders if that's your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRMmMAUZyx0
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Sorry, sometimes Retroarch, sometimes standalone emus which I prefer. My issue is either the default aspect ratio or resolution for say, vertical shooters, is distorting the image. Also, when trying full screen, not wide output for say PSX, I am never sure whether to increase the size slightly etc, without stretching too much.

Comment

One option you want to look for is integer scaling and turn that on. You will most likely end up with borders, but the pixels will be perfectly scaled, at least vertically.

For horizontal scaling all games/systems are different, so you'll have to wiki the output resolution of whatever hardware you're emulating and start from there.

Comment

Sorry, sometimes Retroarch, sometimes standalone emus which I prefer. My issue is either the default aspect ratio or resolution for say, vertical shooters, is distorting the image. Also, when trying full screen, not wide output for say PSX, I am never sure whether to increase the size slightly etc, without stretching too much.
              Do you need to have pin-sharp pixels, or are you okay with some blurring? It varies from person-to-person.

Comment

What's the best aspect ratios or other settings for older games on a HD TV?

Also some games seem slightly warped indicated by the text seeming squeezed ever so slightly.
                Sounds like the image is being stretched horizontally to me.
                If the emulator lets you change resolutions and aspect ratio, for non widescreen games on a 1080p tv, you want the resolution to be 1440x1080, for a 720p tv you want it set to 960x720, and for a 4k tv it needs to be 2880x2160. All with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
                That should give you the most accurate picture possible. If you don't upscale to the TVs native resolution you will either get stretching or blurring, which to me just looks horrible.

Comment

Thanks guys although I messed with emulators on an odd years ago I never really learnt how to configure them well.

I have tried various options recently. It seems I can choose them to start at a low res then upscale later?

I don't have to have it pin sharp, some blurring is OK but I do not like most filters I've tried and I always end up turning scan lines off.

Thanks to all the replies I appreciate your time.

Comment

Working...
                  X