Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speakers and CRT displays

Hi all,
    Having pretty much finished my games cabin I've put my arcade cabs at the back and plan to use the front portion as a mini home cinema room with a decent surround setup. I've realised however that speakers don't play well with CRTs from memory and I have a couple of larger buggers in my cabs. Is there anything I should be concerned about and will these degrade the CRT tubes!?
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

If the speakers or screen are shielded you should be ok. Are there any visible signs of discolouration on the screen in areas adjacent to the screen?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      If the speakers or screen are shielded you should be ok. Are there any visible signs of discolouration on the screen in areas adjacent to the screen?
      I havent bought anything yet as if it was a no go I'd rather leave it. That said it seems between 1 - 2 ft away seems to be the general consensus of it all being okay. Which is entirely possible. I have a pair of old Mission bookshelf shelves I'll try, to see what happens.

Comment

Many speakers will say if they are shielded in the specs

Comment

Unfortunately it seems about 99% aren't anymore.

Comment

I see speaker modding in your future #mysticmeg

Comment

I had an unshielded Wharfedale speaker close to my various broadcast / production monitors and they were fine.

Comment

Even if things turn out not to be fine, a quick manual degauss will put things right.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  Even if things turn out not to be fine, a quick manual degauss will put things right.
                  The E2 cabs auto degauss on start up and I don't have a degaussing wand unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    If you've given up on life. Should your hair hover about 1 inch from your face, equipment's working propetly.

Comment

My speakers cause yellowing to my PVM. Can I apply any sort of shielding to them? They are in wooden cases, Sony Hifi.

Comment

A quick tip if anyone hasn't thought of it - old (and probably new) desktop computer speakers shouldn't interfere with a CRT as they were designed to sit right next to one from the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                        X