No announcement yet.

[15 years!] The NeoGeo Pocket Color Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I've got the carry case here, got a few promo and utlity bits off a guy selling his collection about ten years ago. There is very little I don't own. I think one of the pachislot bundles and the Ogre Battle bundle. Other than that, complete EU and Japanese sets.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    EDIT: @Nu-Eclipse there are a few flashcart solutions knocking about I think. I would say that the system is difficult to use today due to lack of backlight on the screen, though, sadly. A shame because the stick still absolutely rules.

Helped product test this before release...
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      Me ahead of myself? You just called Anbernic's handheld the definitive NGPC experience!

Self-aware much??
      Apologies; I meant in terms of what is presently available.

Comment

With this thread back up, might be a good time to ask - has anyone ever played the community English translation of Cardfighters Clash 2?

I've got it and I've been meaning to start it.

Comment

Genuinely not my influence. I've had to hide it at the top of my shelf from him. He loves MOTM.

Comment

ah that's the one I had (not that actual one ) Great console.

Are people arguing over NGCP emulation in here? C'moooon.

Comment

The Analogue Pocket will no doubt be a good way of playing the games...but I don't think any method of playing could be called definitive unless it has the stick. Unfortunately there is no device which merges the stick with a modern display (except maybe for some homemade hackjobs - I have seen an NGPC stick grafted onto a custom GBC with a modern LCD before).

Originally posted by Mayhem
              Yeah I've got the carry case here, got a few promo and utlity bits off a guy selling his collection about ten years ago. There is very little I don't own. I think one of the pachislot bundles and the Ogre Battle bundle. Other than that, complete EU and Japanese sets.

Originally Posted by wakka
              EDIT: @Nu-Eclipse there are a few flashcart solutions knocking about I think. I would say that the system is difficult to use today due to lack of backlight on the screen, though, sadly. A shame because the stick still absolutely rules.

https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/n...lash-cartridge

Helped product test this before release...

This guy Neo Geo Pockets.

Mayhem, when you sit down of an evening to get your Neo Baccarat on, how do you do it? Have you got a system modded with a backlight? Do you emulate?

I'd like to play more NGPC but the screen is a killer.

Last edited by wakka; 11-02-2021, 17:06.

Comment

You can get NGPC LCD replacements but I'm not sure I'd go that route. Think Duddyroar posted an example that actually looked decent earlier today (unlike previous attempts that I had seen which were much smaller than the original display).

One of the key features I'm looking forward to is the display on the Analogue Pocket... Hoping it's as good as they claim.

Comment

Oh ****, that's tempting, not gonna lie. It'd be daft though considering that I've got an RG351M.

I sold off my small NGPC collection years ago because at the time, there was the perception that a good screen mod was impossible. Back then, the only mods used cut-down GBASP lights or GBA Afterburner kits, and the results weren't great.

Comment

Yeah I'm not easily impressed by screen replacements (some very iffy solutions in the Game Boy space tbh) but without investigating further it seem like a really nice solution. I think I did a SP light in a NGPC for someone before and you're right, it looked terrible.

Comment

Oh my word, that looks clean. I went straight to the Retro Reclaim website to check it out: https://retrogamereclaim.com/collect...ur-backlit-lcd

Originally posted by website
                      Currently only available for the the NGPC, not the NGPC Slim

FFS

Comment

I didn't even realise there was a slim NGPC.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          I didn't even realise there was a slim NGPC.
                          It was never released in the UK (or the west in general), and, to be honest, I actually prefer the bigger version. I think a lot of people do. If you saw it from a distance in a shop, unless you knew what you were looking at I think you could mix them up, too. The difference is really slight.

Comment

I should really get a backlit NGPC but I don’t have one, all original units bought back in the day. And yes, can be hard to see screen, but not as bad as the original Gameboy.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I never found the original screen to be a big problem to be honest. Is a situation like the Game Gear with the failing capacitors giving worse images over time? Or is it just one of those situations where we are a bit spoiled by lovely screens on more-or-less any consumer product nowadays.

Comment

I've not had any capacitor issues, but the damn thing is just so dark. Even if you are playing it in a very well lit space, the picture quality isn't great. If you look at the images in this thread from the modded version that Speedy posted, or Asura's Anbernic, you can see the richness and pop of the colours and the terrific detail of the original pixel art. You just can't appreciate any of that nearly as much using an LCD from 1998. The technology was so limited then.

Comment

Working...
                                X