Demon's Souls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I’ve just got the one proper boss left now

I’m also pondering about the platinum though, so am trying to check up on things that I should do before closing it out.

Comment

If the trophies are the same, you'll need at least 2.5 runs through the game to get everything.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
        If the trophies are the same, you'll need at least 2.5 runs through the game to get everything.
        That's right on the amount of runs but the Trophy list has changed. The hardest things to get done are:

Foes Ring, Friends Ring, Old Warriors Ring and, nowhere near as hard as Dark Souls, the all spells and all miracles.

I

would think it much easier to do the Friends Ring before anything else. And get ready to farm a Pure Bladestone for another ring too...

Comment

FYI, at the start of a playthrough when you are told to talk to the Monumental, if you answer No, you can't get the Friends Ring later. Guess who learned that the hard way

Comment

Yeah, I'm expecting multiple playthroughs, but honestly it doesn't seem anywhere near as daunting as some of the other Souls one that I've stuck out. Given my first run was all over the shop re: WT, I'm going to need to be fairly strict about how to use it in playthrough 2, but now that I now know (vaguely!) what I'm doing that shouldn't be an issue. One thing I never realised about the game before is that generally speaking there's only two areas to each of the archstones - it's a shorter game than I'd expected.

Oh! One thing I'm really pleased about is that I've got to win 'both sides' of the 3-3 fight. I'd always heard about that, and when the PS3 servers closed down previously I thought I'd missed out on that experience forever. Hurrah!

Comment

Haven't had too much time to play lately, but made some good progress on this yesterday. Took Flamelurker and the Dragon God down with the trusty Crescent Falchion+1 - thank goodness I don't need to do that run to Flamelurker again, I was sick of dropping down those platforms!

I then made myself a Lava bow out of a compound long bow and took it to 4-1 with a plan to collect Bladestones to create a Sharp Uchi. Drunk on power with my powerful new bow, I forgot I was in human form, and that my World 4 was already tending towards black, got killed, and went to Pure Black tendency. There is now a Black Phantom (Satsuki) who aggros the second you spawn in and is really difficult to kill

Felt pretty despondent about my chances there, so I decided to create a Quality Uchi for the time being instead, as I'd currently got Str and Dex of 22 apiece anyway. Snagged the last couple of Clearstone chunks I needed for that in 2-3, then upgraded my Uchi all the way from +1 to Quality+4, and took it over to 1-3 to test it out.

This thing slays! Really enjoying kiting out enemies with the Lava Bow+Heavy Arrows, then slicing them up with the Uchi. Once I'd saved Ostrava, he forked over the Pure Clearstone (I knew this would happen from reading wiki guides to the Uchi), and I was then able to upgrade it further to the +5 for an even more powerful weapon.

Had a good old time of it in 1-3 killing folks and banking souls, and I've now got a speedy run to the Penetrator. I've only tried him once, and although he definitely seemed tricky, the Uchi takes off a good chunk of his health with each hit, so I think he seems doable. I might even employ some Sticky White Slime to make it even more potent against him.

The stats I'm focusing on so far look like the following:

Vit 19
              End 19
              Str 22 (quite high for a Dex build, but I really wanted to be able to use the compound long bow!)
              Dex 22

My plan from here is to keep putting points into Dex as I work my way through the Penetrator and World 3. That should steadily make my Uchi more powerful, and I'll soon be back to down that meanie Black Phantom Satsuki.

I'll then be looking to collect the relevant Bladestones to finally create a Sharp Uchi - should have plenty of Dex by that point to hopefully make it a beast. And as mentioned previously I'll also be looking to Meltstone my Lava Bow and make it Sticky at some point down the line, which will also feed off that Dex stat.

That's the plan, anyway
              Last edited by wakka; 07-12-2020, 09:48.

Comment

First run down! I managed to get the Foe's ring before doing so, and I believe I have everything needed for the Northern Regalia now too.

I left the entire Mephistopholes quest line for post-Old King Allant, which allowed for an amazing kill on Patches; backstabbed on his ledge, kicked off my sword then falling straight into the abyss

Let's not talk about how there were a few close calls on NG+ Phalanx, shall we? I def need to sort my gear out, [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]'s min-maxing above has made it v clear that I totally bypassed the opportunity to focus my Kilij, instead ending up with it on just plain ol' +9.

Comment

Killed off The Penetrator last night. It wasn't too difficult really, just a bit of rolling and a moderate amount of slapping with the Uchi. I had a lot more trouble with Flamelurker!

I had a moment of grave sadness after, as due to incompetence when fighting the 3 Black Phantoms that show up in the room after the Penetrator Archstone, I managed to lose about 35,000 souls. Killed the first two, thought I'd sail into the third, but she was actually pretty tough (the woman with the White Bow). Got killed by her, stormed back to try again, and promptly got killed again before I picked up my souls.

D'oh!!

After my eventual vengeance killing of her, I went and did a bit of grinding on the three Red Eye Knights on the steps near the Penetrator Archstone to get back what I'd lost.

I think my stats are currently:

VIT 20
                  END 20
                  STR 22
                  DEX 28

Really feeling quite powerful now, which is fun. Looking forward to wreaking vengeance on Black Phantom Satsuki at some point soon

One other thing I would add is that I think 1-3 is a brilliant level. It feels like an ur-Souls level in many ways - the atmosphere, the way it loops around, the shortcut. Everything that makes a great Souls level is there. This game continues to amaze me with how comprehensive it is in terms of being a Souls experience. I thought it would be much more prototypical, but actually it's all here.

The other game in the series I've played, DS3, is 4 iterations later, yet its refinements to the formula presented here are relatively minor. A real testament to the completeness of the vision of Miyazaki and his team when they created this.

Honestly, they couldn't have had a better launch game for me on PS5. It remains the only PS5 game I own and will need for a while yet. Love it.
                  Last edited by wakka; 08-12-2020, 12:47.

Comment

Editing this: I had thought NG+ reset tendencies, but it does not. Any bright ideas for how I get character tendency back from pure black? Do I really have to push each of my world tendencies to pure black too so that I can kill these named phantoms?
                    Last edited by fuse; 08-12-2020, 19:23.

Comment

Get the world to pure white and defeat the named black phantoms (1 per archstone, killing all five will be enough to bring the character from neutral to pure white; if you are pure black, you'll need two playthroughs), or defeat invading players.
                      Is world tendency still affected by other players if you play online?

Comment

... don't those named black phantoms only appear when at pure black WT?

In which case, I need to...

1. Beat most all of NG+ with pure black CT
                        2. Push each archstone to pure white WT (need this for some of the other trophies + rings)
                        3. Push all archstones to pure black WT (dying in body form, NOT via any way that would also harm CT)
                        4. Kill the phantoms
                        5. Move to NG++ and beat all the archstones
                        6. Push all archstones to pure black WT again
                        7. Kill the phantoms again
                        8. Get the Friend's Ring
                        9. Profit?

I really, really, really wish I'd done more homework about tendency before beginning this. Getting to pure white for both CT and WT would've been possible on my first run and would've made life beyond that so much easier.

Comment

It seems like a lot of work to be honest. I’m not sure I can be bothered with it.

Comment

Back in the PS3 days they used to have special events in which players would vote the world tendency. You should bugger Blue Point, Sony, or From Software for the asme thing. The whole tendency thing was always a massive pain.

Comment

I'd badger them, not bugger them but yeah.

Comment

I dunno, desperate times call for desperate measures

Comment

Working...
                                X