No announcement yet.

Battlefield V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think people are forgetting just how rough BF4 was when it launched.

Comment

I held of Battlefront II and ended up never picking it up, hopefully I'll nab this at some point during a lull for a decent price next year for a knock around but broadly I think my interest in DICE games has gone until they stop churning out so much filler and start focusing on some killer.
      For visuals, I'm on Pro and to be honest it's not much of a showcase. It's fine but it often has a soft image with some jaggies in places, potentially it's easy to picture the X and especially PC out performing it on picture quality.

The thing with BF4's launch is it was borked for balancing and network issues but the underlying game was pure quality which shone through once the fixes eventually arrived. BF5 is fundamentally bland like BF1 again with so much of the series potentially not built into the gameplay design so either these are just pretty meh maps or its irredeemably dull.

Comment

No surprise Mack hates it:

How I love that man and his honest and comedic reviewing style.

When's the Beta available to those who don't have an EA Access thingy subscription and haven't pre-ordered the game? I'd quite like to play it.

Comment

Right now, started last night

Comment

Ahh, sweet. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
              How I love that man and his honest and comedic reviewing style.
              Pew, pew, pew.

Made me laugh. I do think that his comparison to Battlefront is probably telling. I haven't played Battlefield since the third entry so for me it's just an interesting observation.

I saw another Youtube review where someone was saying they felt burnout on Battlefield and had just made the connection that 'it feels' like they are every year. I felt that way about CODs, and what not years ago. Constant stream of the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                In this I ran down a street, killed some enemies. Then I ran down an alleyway, killed some enemies. Then I ran across a rail line, climbed up onto a bridge, then killed some enemies.

It's just so damned bland. It's not so much about the big set pieces from BF4 either as for their time BF3, Bad Company 2, Bad Company 1, hell 1943 were all more fun than this. DICE has taken a low destruction, high infantry approach with the series and it means it's strays into CoD's territory where Battlefield has and still does get battered by its rival despite Activision's series faults. Based on the beta play last night, BF5 corrects some issues BF1 had but that's about all, didn't remotely feel like a game worth going out of my way for this Xmas.
                Bland is the perfect description for this, BlandfieldV. Improved gunplay over BF1 means nowt with terrible infantry focused maps and BF defining combined arms relegated to killstreaks.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                In BF4 I rode a missile carrier to a hotel, rode up the lift, took down two snipers before parachuting down as a plane blew up and the hotel collapsed behind me. I've taken a defensive corner on a beach head, enemies closing in before dashing out and hopping onto a jet ski to escape as a carrier ship collided with the coast. I've flown in the side chair of an attack helicopter picking off enemies who ran to the rooftops fleeing a flooding city.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                  Pew, pew, pew.

Made me laugh. I do think that his comparison to Battlefront is probably telling. I haven't played Battlefield since the third entry so for me it's just an interesting observation.

I saw another Youtube review where someone was saying they felt burnout on Battlefield and had just made the connection that 'it feels' like they are every year. I felt that way about CODs, and what not years ago. Constant stream of the same thing.
                  I played all the older Battlefield games but lost interest in the series with Battlefield 3. Bad Company 2 was the last Battlefield I really enjoyed. I definitely agree with his comments on the pew pew pewiness of the series. In the old games the maps were huge and you did respawn back at your base which was usually a long way away from the action, but far from that being a bad thing or a boring mechanic, it made you care about your life and it made battles meaningful and more tactical. You had to plan ahead and think a little, there were battle lines you could either meet or try sneaking around. It was definitely more realistic in that sense.

When I played a little Battlefield 1 last year and it was just action action action. You respawned straight back into the thick of it, straight back into killing and straight back into being killed. Repeat ad infinitum. In that sense the series has evolved from a tactical shooter to a reflex shooter. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on taste, but it's not my cuppa tea.
                  Last edited by Zen Monkey; 07-09-2018, 17:34.

Comment

Is the beta available for download on the PS4?

Comment

Yeah.

Comment

Cool - i’ll Give this a rip tonight, in between some mame action!

Comment

I was hoping to play tonight too but with my connection Sunday is more likely.

Comment

Second night and yeah - hard pass this one

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                              I played all the older Battlefield games but lost interest in the series with Battlefield 3. Bad Company 2 was the last Battlefield I really enjoyed.
                              Yea, similar. I didn't buy any BF after 3 as I lost interest in pure-MP shooters. I think BC2 and 1943 were my favourites, personally. Something about the latter and it being a such a pure, if smaller version of the BF games.

Comment

I feel like I did the exact same thing when BF1 came out but this weekend I had a few games on BF4 (45hz servers for the win!) and it reconfirmed my mind wasn't misremembering, as an experience the series is a long way from its peak. BF4 looks visually simple but it's so much better than BF1 or the beta for 5

Comment

Working...
                                X