Mega Drive Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by importaku View Post
    Not sure how popular sega stuff is in japan compared to nintendo i have a feeling the famicom obliterated everything in the 8 bit timeframe. Would be interesting to know how it did hold up against it though.
    I read that the sales of the Mark III paled in comparison to the Famicom.

The Mega Drive also didn't do anywhere near as strongly in Japan as it did in the UK and America. I think it was far more popular than the Mark III though, seeing we saw loads of great MD games released in Japan

I think the Mega Drive Mini will probably sell reasonably well in Japan. But Sega will be expecting the UK and America to really go crazy about it. We will have to see whether the mass market is somewhat tired of seeing plug-n-play Mega Drives, or if there's still enthusiasm for the brand. I think there probably is.

I'll probably buy one after the dust has settled and people work out if its hackable or not.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-04-2019, 17:11.

Comment

Ten new games announced for the Japanese MD Mini:

Thunder Force III
      Super Fantasy Zone
      MUSHA Aleste
      World of Illusion
      Bare Knuckle 2
      The Hybrid Front
      Landstalker
      Hard Corps
      Dyna Brothers 2
      Game no Kanzume Otokuyou

This thing is shaping up great! Musha and Hard Corps are both on my list for the Mega SG collection but were a little too pricey when there's so many other great games to grab that are a fraction of the price.

Comment

I’m pretty surprised by the list so far not as generic as I was expecting. Looks like it was a smart idea to get a Japanese one, if more games have been announced wonder if western list has been updated with more?

Comment

In it's ultimate form, just look at the retro beauty in this thing, it sits along awith the pc engine & famicom as designs i absolutely love
          Wow, I've never seen it in its full glory. What are the aerial and the slats for?

Comment

Liking the look of that Japanese line-up. They seem to be getting it so right.

Comment

It's the uk game boxes mainly from the first wave of master system releases i find truly repulsive. People seem to love them but i find it totally off putting that so little effort was made to represent the game inside. It borders on offensive to my boxart tastes, like looking at a no frills budget value bargain bin game.

Trash like this

compared to this

I don't find it charming or nostalgic, it's the reason i never got a uk master system and went for the nes instead. Even the pixel art boxes of the 1st gen nes games are way better than those, but going back to my previous post it's that reason i never got to play much of the master system library as i was put off. So been able to visit it in a mini would be nice.
              I’m pretty surprised by the list so far not as generic as I was expecting. Looks like it was a smart idea to get a Japanese one, if more games have been announced wonder if western list has been updated with more?
              Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
              Earthworm Jim
              Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
              Probotector
              Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
              Sonic the Hedgehog 2
              Streets of Rage II
              Super Fantasy Zone
              Thunder Force III
              World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

Comment

There are good games on that list.

Comment

I've gone off this.

If only it was the size of a surfboard and shaped like the SEGA logo, I'd still be interested.

Comment

I'm Rocket Knight away from pre-ordering this. Would like the JP version for MUSHA but I hope it's easily hacked so I can swap the text heavier games with their USA roms. Shining series, Landstalker, Phantasy Star etc
                    Last edited by Nico87; 18-04-2019, 14:05.

Comment

For the price vampire killer goes for its already paid for itself, well Sega have already beaten the abysmal ps mini games list and there’s still 20 to announce.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                        Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
                        Earthworm Jim
                        Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
                        Probotector
                        Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
                        Sonic the Hedgehog 2
                        Streets of Rage II
                        Super Fantasy Zone
                        Thunder Force III
                        World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
                        Is this an official list? ENOUGH with Shinobi III please, Revenge of Shinobi is so much better.

Comment

Any news on if Amazon Jp will restock?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
                            Is this an official list? ENOUGH with Shinobi III please, Revenge of Shinobi is so much better.
                            Should be, doubt Gematsu are just guessing

Sega has revealed titles 11 to 20 of the 40 included with its upcoming Genesis / Mega Drive Mini hardware.
                            Last edited by Nico87; 18-04-2019, 15:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Liking the look of that Japanese line-up. They seem to be getting it so right.
                              To be this GOOD, takes SEGA . At last SEGA Japan are making some good moves on current and now retro software.

Comment

Fascinating i dont know how ive never heard of Hybrid Front or Dyna Brothers. I thought id at least seen a screenshot of every game they made for it, madness.

Comment

Working...
                                X