Spelunky 2 [PS4/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spelunky 2 [PS4/PC]

PC date is a few weeks behind, but this hit EU PSN in the early hours this morning. Like a sensible adult, I stayed up until 4/5ish in the morning playing it.

While there's plenty of new, there's also a hell of a lot of Spelunky that is still very much in here. The opening two areas, despite being given quite the graphical overhaul, are very familiar - even things like Udjat's Eye and the Ankh are where you'd (roughly) expect them to be. New enemies, layouts, items and the like definitely change things up, and there's plenty of things to catch out people who are too accustomed to the original and are trying to breeze through with the same strategies.

It's the new bits that are definitely going to be most of interest - like there being two separate exits at the end of the caverns that can fire you off in an entirely new direction, and the "back" elements to levels that clearly contain secret things I don't yet know about. There are whole new dimensions even if you try and stick to the path that closest mirrors what we already know from the first game, and on top of that there is clearly an absolute mountain of new things to discover.

Don't want to say too much beyond these initial thoughts, as there's a lot that I know people will want to discover on their own. Furthest down I've been is around 4-4, and I've already rescued a few other characters and opened the first two shortcuts. No sign of my viking guy yet, though

I've been playing it for 2 hours straight, not got further than 1-3. Its so hard not to press "X" and have another run. I cant really think of a better written, more enjoyable Indie Game than this?

BTW - Its £15.99 and a timed exclusive to PSN.

Comment

I may have to give the original a blast, I have that, but not played it much.

Comment

This seems to be more of the same. I forgot how brutal it was Time to relearn everything

Comment

That's the real beauty of it - everything is new and dangerous all over again. With the original, I've got to the point where I still make plenty of stupid mistakes, but nothing really surprises me any more. That's not the case here - there is so much to learn!

6-1 is as deep as I've been, but the next shortcut needs me to bring a helping hand, which is... not easy

Comment

I never got very far in the original, and so far I'm doing appallingly in Spelunky 2!
            Not managed to get past 1-3.
            I need some tips!

Comment

- Always try and be carrying something - ideally something that can be used as a shield, but even if not, having something to throw and trigger traps with is really important, particularly when descending
              - Rather than whipping pots open, try and get in the habit of throwing them far away to break them so you've got a chance to react if they're trapped
              - The whip's hitbox is active a little bit behind and above you, which is particularly useful for enemies coming from above (see: bats)
              - Try and develop specific ways to deal with certain problem enemies. For example - big spider hanging on the ceiling? Throw a bomb into the web underneath them
              - More than anything, just slow down. It's very tempting to try and speed through the game, but taking your time and plotting your next move reduces the risks. Unless you've got good reason to, always hold down and check out the area below before dropping

They're more for the original, but I remember finding this little selection of tips quite useful!

Fun thing I discovered last night: shops with security out front and beams around the back are good if you can aggro from behind; security will repeatedly shoot the beams, so you can return to their corpses at your leisure.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                - Always try and be carrying something - ideally something that can be used as a shield, but even if not, having something to throw and trigger traps with is really important, particularly when descending
                - Rather than whipping pots open, try and get in the habit of throwing them far away to break them so you've got a chance to react if they're trapped
                - The whip's hitbox is active a little bit behind and above you, which is particularly useful for enemies coming from above (see: bats)
                - Try and develop specific ways to deal with certain problem enemies. For example - big spider hanging on the ceiling? Throw a bomb into the web underneath them
                - More than anything, just slow down. It's very tempting to try and speed through the game, but taking your time and plotting your next move reduces the risks. Unless you've got good reason to, always hold down and check out the area below before dropping

They're more for the original, but I remember finding this little selection of tips quite useful!

Fun thing I discovered last night: shops with security out front and beams around the back are good if you can aggro from behind; security will repeatedly shoot the beams, so you can return to their corpses at your leisure.
                Thanks!
                Bit unsure what to do with the guy who wants you to help with turkeys. I can jump on a turkey and tame it but when I try and go back to the bloke with it nothing happens, can't work out what I'm supposed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
                  Thanks!
                  Bit unsure what to do with the guy who wants you to help with turkeys. I can jump on a turkey and tame it but when I try and go back to the bloke with it nothing happens, can't work out what I'm supposed to do.
                  Hold down and jump into the pen area where he should already have one other turkey, and then get off and leave it there. If you bring him 2 turkeys in this way, he'll give you a key so that you can open the locked door which should be right by him. I've only bothered doing it once (it can be really irritating when he's all the way at the top of the level and the turkeys are at the bottom) and the reward wasn't much to get excited about either, but you do get a trophy for doing it the first time!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    Hold down and jump into the pen area where he should already have one other turkey, and then get off and leave it there. If you bring him 2 turkeys in this way, he'll give you a key so that you can open the locked door which should be right by him. I've only bothered doing it once (it can be really irritating when he's all the way at the top of the level and the turkeys are at the bottom) and the reward wasn't much to get excited about either, but you do get a trophy for doing it the first time!
                    OK thanks, looks like I'm not missing much, but will still give it a go

Comment

Just found out you can use the torches (or any flame) on the turkeys to kill them and they drop Cooked Turky which gives you +1 heart

Comment

I knew that bombs worked, but not torches! This is great news. From what I've seen, the turkey farm and up to 3 turkeys are guaranteed in 1-2, so that's a great starter tip. Torches definitely have more use in this one, in the Jungle you can use them to burn large patches of foliage and open up routes too. If you see a campfire, you can whip it to get one now.

Comment

i was greatly surprised to find out what happens when you jump on a rock dog in the lava map.. to bad my AI helper decided to set off a ton of exploding crap everywhere with a pool lava below me... never saving them from that coffin again.

Comment

Yeah I stopped hiring the helper after he threw a boomarang and it came back and killed me lol.

Comment

Do the new AI companions offer any help at all or do they just add more deathly chaos into the mix?

Comment

Working...
                              X