All the World's Wrongs: Games At Fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Sometimes I wish the internet was still the way it was ~2004. The internet felt like this open forum that was going to bring humanity together. Perhaps it was a naive delusion but it was a nice one to have.

Tim Berners-Lee launches campaign to save the web from abuse

Comment

There you go.

Comment

It's the anonymity of the internet that makes people so brave and able to express their honest opinions.

When Alanah Pearce discovered her online abusers weren’t middle-aged men but young boys, she went straight to the source to tackle the issue

I love this article about an Australian video games journalist who is unable to reason with young boys who are posting things like "i'll rape u if i ever see u ****", so she contacts their mothers.

I need to stop clicking links on this RDR2 story as it's making me despair.
        Even on a site like Huffpost, the only comment is "Someone dies in fictional western scenario and it wasn't a white man. Oh dear, that is terrible."

Don't go near the likes of Daily Wire.

I get that it's not real and the character is supposed to be annoying, but it's the refusal to accept that rejoicing in her demise because of what she represents.

If you sat down with some of these males with their mothers, sister, wives, friends and co-workers and read out some of their posts, I wonder how they'd react?

Comment

Yep.

As for nostalgia about the way the internet used to be, I remember it being a much friendlier place early on. A closer smaller space. But I also remember filth involving kids being posted in Star Trek newsgroups, literal car crash photos popping up in Street Fighter chats, bestiality being thrown around like it was nothing and all kinds of other stuff. So while I miss so much of it, I’m very glad it got better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            If you sat down with some of these males with their mothers, sister, wives, friends and co-workers and read out some of their posts, I wonder how they'd react?
            I’m sure all of them would just say, oh that’s just how he is.

I’m sure we have all met these guys, maybe even known some, they are the ones who “tell it like it is” sometimes they are the loudest person in the room, sometimes they are the quietest but sometimes JUST sometimes their mask slips and they say something and your head just turns, then you realise, oh no.....what’s gone wrong? Who hurt you? Have they always been like this?

If anything with my olde age I’ve grown tired of people like this, if someone says something about SJW’s or dem libs or PC gone mad it’s doesn't actually make me angry or “trigger” me, it just makes me ****ing sad that someone has got to a stage in their life and not grew as a person. In my younger days I used to think people like that could be reached and changed but maybe old age has made me cynical, on the plus side I now keep friends I know aren’t twats and I speak up if someone is being a twat.

Comment

Thank you, [MENTION=2386]Family Fry[/MENTION]. Great post.
              I started to wonder if I was alone after reading some of posts on those sites.

Comment

Thank you, [MENTION=2386]Family Fry[/MENTION]. Great post.
                I started to wonder if I was alone after reading some of posts on those sites.
                Cheers QC. It can sometimes feel that way but you’re definitely not alone, if you speak up people will come out.

I’ll mention an incident that happened to my wife last week, which highlights this a bit.

She sees an article about a restaurant changing a sauce called Cotton Pickin Black Pepper Sauce because a black man complained about it, restaurant changed it but they also commented it had been on the menu 25 years and they hadn’t had a complaint.
                So my wife sees, on Facebook of course, NUMEROUS Norfolk oak aged gammon racists, she got so annoyed that so many replies were flippant and making light of the truth and a real issue that people face every single day.

WHATS NEXT WHITE SAUCE? BROWN SAUCE?
                POLITICAL CORRECTNESS AT ITS BEST!

All the usual trash replies you would expect.

Anyway, I’ll cut to the chase, she replied and the newspaper put another article out quoting her saying it’s good to talk about these things and ask questions, too many people were being flippant and blatantly racist about it but people THEN came out in support after something was said, when these people are pushed against.
                Last edited by Family Fry; 07-11-2018, 13:54.

Comment

The old internet, man. I think I was one of the few people I knew who didn't attempt to set up a Geocities page

Comment

I made internet friends on several EZ Boards that I still stay in touch with. Good times. Sorry, total derailment.

Comment

It's the anonymity of the internet that makes people so brave and able to express their honest opinions
                      This isn't only a bad thing, though. It allows people freedom; it isn't all about people being racists/misogynists.

The idea that in my lifetime, some agency might try to assert some kind of "real-ID" system across the entire internet worries me. I know they would try if they thought it was feasible; I'm very much against it.

Facebook was largely an attempt to do this; its "walled garden" (where they were trying to be their own YouTube, payment platform, online store provider, website provider etc.) was an attempt to do this.

They want to, though, because they want to go back to when entertainment was sold, one-way, to the consumer. When it wasn't as democratised as it is now. Doing so has led to problems, yes - big problems - but I will physically fight to keep it, for the good things it has done.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        but I will physically fight to keep it, for the good things it has done.
                        You're only talking tough because you're hiding behind a keyboard!

Comment

You're only talking tough because you're hiding behind a keyboard!
                          Rumbled!

Comment

A scientific study has shown that using screens for long periods of time has no physical effects on the human body.
                            Of course this has granted the media the opportunity to jump on video-games as the root of all evil.
                            It seems parents are unable to prevent children from playing Fortnite for hours at a time because scientists said its OK.
                            If you are relying on science to discipline your kids, I think you are doing it wrong.

Comment

As a side note I heard Vine talking about this on Radio 2 and he said the following:

'I got really in to playing Grand Theft Auto version 2. I think it's on version 8 now. Anyway I was getting the levels in it and I found I was spending too much time on it, so the only choice I had was to smash the CD-Rom with a hammer.'

Needless to say I turned it off in rage.

Comment

You need to listen to different radio stations (or stop altogether) and maybe change where you are getting your news. I only saw this study reported on one site and it was pitched as a pretty good news story and read like a well balanced article.

Comment

Working...
                                X