No announcement yet.

Demon's Souls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so jealous! This looks seriously amazing, I hope I snag a PS5 early next year

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      ... don't those named black phantoms only appear when at pure black WT?

In which case, I need to...

1. Beat most all of NG+ with pure black CT
      2. Push each archstone to pure white WT (need this for some of the other trophies + rings)
      3. Push all archstones to pure black WT (dying in body form, NOT via any way that would also harm CT)
      4. Kill the phantoms
      5. Move to NG++ and beat all the archstones
      6. Push all archstones to pure black WT again
      7. Kill the phantoms again
      8. Get the Friend's Ring
      9. Profit?

I really, really, really wish I'd done more homework about tendency before beginning this. Getting to pure white for both CT and WT would've been possible on my first run and would've made life beyond that so much easier.
      Damn, From Software are great but they are also really obtuse with their systems to the point of obnoxiousness sometimes. I'd erased all memory of the tendency malarkey from my recollection of this game, but the covenants of later games are not much better in terms of how they work or why.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
        Damn, From Software are great but they are also really obtuse with their systems to the point of obnoxiousness sometimes. I'd erased all memory of the tendency malarkey from my recollection of this game, but the covenants of later games are not much better in terms of how they work or why.
        I have a story re: covenants. I was writing for a place around the time of DS2's release, and as such got invited along to Namco's offices to play an early build of the game. Check out this dork.

Anyway, PR guys sit us down and tell us there's the opening section of the game, and two bosses available to fight. Naturally, the side-eyes begin, and everyone sets off to see who can do the business first. I'd got the 1000/1000 in Dark Souls, and figured I was in with a good shot. I'd made it to the first boss and died once already by the time the first person pipes up having won out. Damn! Before I know it, I'm dead again, and again, and all the while, a few others have made celebratory whoopings around the room. Long story short, I ended up walking away with my tail between my legs, neither boss beaten. Had a chat with a few other folks, and while I wasn't alone in coming away empty handed, some had been having an experience much closer to what I'd been expecting - a challenge, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Closer to release and desperate to reclaim my honour, I get a press copy of the game. I bounce off the same boss a bunch of times but eventually manage to take him, and I slowly struggle further in. As it goes on general release and information starts to circulate, I then realise that I'd made the same mistake both times, having joined the Company of Champions with no idea of the implications...

The Company of Champions in Dark Souls 2 is one of two covenants that are available as soon as you get to Majula. Being a member of this covenant substantially increases the game's difficulty level by making every enemy deal more damage (up to 50% in some cases, especially bosses), have more HP, and have approximately 20% damage resistance (tested on bosses under identical circumstances in SotFS), similar to playing in NG+ or using Bonfire Ascetics, while being in NG and without having to use ascetics at every bonfire.
        FROM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOFT!

Back on topic, tendency definitely seems like the meanest and most obtuse version of these ideas. On the plus side, despite my tendency woes, I'm making good progress through NG+. Flamelurker went down first go, and I've got everything all of the routes opened up for safe travels through 3-2 as well. Onward!
        Last edited by fuse; 10-12-2020, 14:22.

Comment

Haha From Sooooooooft! Great pic by the way. Do you get increased drops being in the Company of Champions?

Comment

With the exception of Awestones, no. It's still better than the Calamity ring in DS1 though.

Comment

Picked this up yesterday for £45 on Facebook marketplace. Going to be a real eye opener for me as I'm ****e at soul games. A lot to learn me thinks

Comment

How are you getting on, [MENTION=6572]BIG EDD[/MENTION] ?

I'm about halfway through my multi-point plan, having done everything possible in NG+ to push my CT towards white, and hoovering up all of the other bits and bobs that I needed. I am one ring and four spells short of the platinum, and if I'm right, I think I'm going to be able to avoid the Shrine of Storms entirely in NG++, which makes me very happy

For future ref, if anyone gets stuck with pure black world tendency and just wants to get back to neutral - the easiest way by far is to see if you're within reach of a primeval demon. Much like the named black phantoms, there is just one per archstone and they only show up when you're at pure black WT. They don't push your character tendency towards white, but will bring world tendency back to neutral, they drop colourless souls, and perhaps most crucially, they don't fight back. Just go thwack 'em!

Comment

How are you getting on, @BIG EDD ?

I'm about halfway through my multi-point plan, having done everything possible in NG+ to push my CT towards white, and hoovering up all of the other bits and bobs that I needed. I am one ring and four spells short of the platinum, and if I'm right, I think I'm going to be able to avoid the Shrine of Storms entirely in NG++, which makes me very happy

For future ref, if anyone gets stuck with pure black world tendency and just wants to get back to neutral - the easiest way by far is to see if you're within reach of a primeval demon. Much like the named black phantoms, there is just one per archstone and they only show up when you're at pure black WT. They don't push your character tendency towards white, but will bring world tendency back to neutral, they drop colourless souls, and perhaps most crucially, they don't fight back. Just go thwack 'em!
                  I haven't had the nerve to start it yet as I've finished Miles Morales and Sackboy
                  I'll probably need as much help as I can get when the adventure starts

Comment

Got the platinum. Shout outs to the guy that invaded me, died very easily, and just as I reloaded the area, invaded me again. Those two kills pushed me to pure white CT for the friend's ring, and a quick streamrolling through most of NG++ got me the last boss souls needed for the last spells on the list. Came in just under 49 hours!

Some general thoughts:

I loved it. So glad I finally got to play it through properly, and even better than that, with an active and engaged community also playing at the same time. I maintain that tendency can be quite a mean-spirited system to underpin everything, and think From have definitely come up with better ones since, but I do like some aspects of it, particularly opening certain pathways if you're trending one way. If anything I feel this is a little underused and could be really, really great to revisit if bad karma meant more opportunities to do bad things rather than just "things now hit harder, and here are extra enemies". I can't do much like-for-like with the visuals given I've not seen half of it on the PS3, but it certainly seems a lot easier to track what's going on, and the buttery smoothness of it all is quite lovely. It's a fantastic launch game.

edit: Umbasa.
                    Last edited by fuse; 17-12-2020, 10:44. Reason: Umbasa

Comment

Got the platinum. Shout outs to the guy that invaded me, died very easily, and just as I reloaded the area, invaded me again. Those two kills pushed me to pure white CT for the friend's ring, and a quick streamrolling through most of NG++ got me the last boss souls needed for the last spells on the list. Came in just under 49 hours!

Some general thoughts:

I loved it. So glad I finally got to play it through properly, and even better than that, with an active and engaged community also playing at the same time. I maintain that tendency can be quite a mean-spirited system to underpin everything, and think From have definitely come up with better ones since, but I do like some aspects of it, particularly opening certain pathways if you're trending one way. If anything I feel this is a little underused and could be really, really great to revisit if bad karma meant more opportunities to do bad things rather than just "things now hit harder, and here are extra enemies". I can't do much like-for-like with the visuals given I've not seen half of it on the PS3, but it certainly seems a lot easier to track what's going on, and the buttery smoothness of it all is quite lovely. It's a fantastic launch game.

Umbasa.

Sounds like you really enjoyed it, in the same way I did,

I'm going to leave it a little while and then... Fractured mode and hidden door...

Comment

Some general thoughts:

I know who to turn to now for help

Comment

This is a superb remake of a superb game. It feels just right and performs like a champ.

I'm going for a nimble knight build this time. Done Phalanx, Tower Knight and the Armor Spider so far. Still rocking the gear I started with, with the long sword up to +5 ... doing okay for now.

Great time to revisit this game too: I remember just enough and I've forgotten just enough

Comment

What do you guys think I’d be better off starting with which build of character?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
                              What do you guys think I’d be better off starting with which build of character?
                              The Thief is always the one for me. Just make sure you choose the Providential Ring. Starting class doesn't matter tooooo much.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
                                Royalty. They start with powrful equipment, a spell, and at Soul Level 1. The downside is that they start with somewhat low stats, but level ups will be cheaper than other classes.

Comment

Working...
                                X