This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    It really feels like the UK has an air of complete self-destruction about it.
    Well, yeah, for some of us. Half the country voted to leave; they apparently had it all figured out so I'm content just to see what happens.

Comment

Person 1: Would you like a cup of tea?
      Person 2: Yes, please.
      Person 1: It turns out I've not got any water, so I'm making it with piss instead. Care to change your mind?
      Person 2: No, I've made my decision.

Comment

Corbyns at PMQ, heavily sounds like Labour is going to fall on voting against the deal which would kill it
        Last edited by Neon Ignition; 14-11-2018, 11:40.

Comment

The really should change the name of that session to Prime Minister's Wiffle Waffle

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

Corbyns at PMQ, heavily sounds like Labour is going to fall on voting against the deal which would kill it
            Damned if you do, damned if you don't for Labour. If they reject it and we land with a No Deal, the tory's can throw mud at them for decades. If they vote for, and it turns in to a **** deal, Labour can't really use it as ammo against the Tory's later.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              Damned if you do, damned if you don't for Labour. If they reject it and we land with a No Deal, the tory's can throw mud at them for decades. If they vote for, and it turns in to a **** deal, Labour can't really use it as ammo against the Tory's later.
              Surely it should be simpler than that, though? I mean, isn't it supposed to be that they consult their party's principles, and that decides their opinion? Irrespective of what the Tories might do or say?

Just to clarify, I'm not that naive. I know why it isn't like this.

Comment

More update on party stances:

DUP - Against
                SNP - Against
                Labour - Unlikely

Comment

I wish politicians had the same amount of foresight and imagination that Superman Falls puts into changing the pun in the thread title.

Comment

It's sad the situation changes so frequently that it suits it

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Person 1: Would you like a cup of tea?
                      Person 2: Yes, please.
                      Person 1: It turns out I've not got any water, so I'm making it with piss instead. Care to change your mind?
                      Person 2: No, I've made my decision.
                      Person 1: I’m also going to chod on your scone.
                      Person 2: Champion.

What a piss-poor, ill-thought-out shambles this referendum fiasco is. The campaign never really got past ideological tubthumping, with soapbox Charlies revelling in pithy fabricated soundbites. The nitty gritty is a billion times more complicated, and shame on this nation for failing to address that before making a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                        What a piss-poor, ill-thought-out shambles this referendum fiasco is. The campaign never really got past ideological tubthumping, with soapbox Charlies revelling in pithy fabricated soundbites. The nitty gritty is a billion times more complicated, and shame on this nation for failing to address that before making a decision.
                        I hate to repeat it, and I'm not sure who said it, but there's a phrase which goes that "people get the government they ultimately deserve".

I think the whole Brexit fiasco is part of the same issue they're having over in the US right now. Facebook, Google and the other online ad providers have taken over in terms of how they can shape public opinion, and their self-improving algorithms have found that the best way to drive advertising spend is to appeal to people's divisive instincts and then seek to challenge those instincts as little as possible.

I think that this leads to situations where more than ever before, we're fixated on the things that divide us rather than the things that bring us together. Don't take this as sympathy for the political class, but it must be difficult to appeal to your electorate given all of this.

Brexit is an interesting part of this, because it wasn't really asking for "do you want things to be one way or the other", but rather "do your views align most closely with one ideology or the other". Each answer wasn't a distinct choice, but rather was asking which side had the biggest overlap in its Venn diagram of different people.

Consider how, before the American election, how much in-fighting there was among the Democrats over Clinton vs. Sanders. Or how even in the Brexit referendum, there were arguments within the Leave campaign between the different "Leave groups". Also how the UK seems to be sliding to a two-party system.

Comment

May said this is the best deal she can get for the UK and the reality is, she's right. It's the least damaging (well, other than retaining access to the Singe Market), but it's a crap deal - we'll be in the position that the Brexit Brigade (wrongly) claimed we were in - a rule taker from the EU.

We will essentially be a a member of the EU, taking the rules, having the ECJ as arbiter of the rules, the inability to make trade deals, the need to pay into the EU pot to retain access to the CU (which unless the EU agree, we can't leave) whilst losing access to the single market, losing the ability to have representation in the EP elected by the country through PR to vote on the rules, losing the ability at the European Council to draft and amend the rules.

Given that's the case, what's the point in leaving the EU?
                          Last edited by MartyG; 15-11-2018, 05:48.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                            May said this is the best deal she can get for the UK and the reality is, she's right. It's the least damaging (well, other than retaining access to the Singe Market), but it's a crap deal - we'll be in the position that the Brexit Brigade (wrongly) claimed we were in - a rule taker from the EU.

We will essentially be a a member of the EU, taking the rules, having the ECJ as arbiter of the rules, the inability to make trade deals, the need to pay into the EU pot to retain access to the CU (which unless the EU agree, we can't leave) whilst losing access to the single market, losing the ability to have representation in the EP elected by the country through PR to vote on the rules, losing the ability at the European Council to draft and amend the rules.

Given that's the case, what's the point in leaving the EU?
                            So just like being in the EU then? But now with even less say?

Once again I’ll say it, is everyone happy now? Did you all get what you think you wanted? Voting on a retarded plan of leaving the eu with not having a clue?

Honestly everyone deserves what they get with this, you followed the fools off a cliff and now your shocked there’s jagged rocks at the bottom.

Will everyone learn? Na.

Comment

Any plan that not only leaves the UK under the decision making of the EU but also in a way that it could effectively be held hostage by it was never going to get cleared through. You have to assume May knows this, that the deal is just the one that ticks the most boxes and gives her the best 'I tried' excuse when she goes.

Though the truth of the scenario might slowly be slightly breaking out from cover...

May, for once, actually described the UKs current position as either taking her deal, leaving without one or... cancelling Brexit.

Comment

Actually laughed out loud at this! Can you imagine if she cancelled Brexit? Can you think of the absolute ****show that would follow?

Comment

Working...
                                X