Tabletop Arcade Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tabletop Arcade Machines

I'm considering buying a tabletop Arcade machine to play.

Quite liked the look of something like this :

but I'm struggling to find any reviews or videos or anything of it.

Anyone got any advice for buying smaller tabletop Arcade units?

I'd assume there aren't any reviews as they are kits that someone or other has made up. My advice would be make one. Do they have to be table top? Pretty sure Numbskull made mini replicas of certain Namco cabs. Alternatively what about an Arcade 1up?
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
      I'm considering buying a tabletop Arcade machine to play.

Quite liked the look of something like this :

but I'm struggling to find any reviews or videos or anything of it.

Anyone got any advice for buying smaller tabletop Arcade units?
      Don't buy that. I had one. Total crap. It was so bad I never even got around to reviewing it. The speed of the thing was pathetic. It wouldn't run Capcom cps2 games full speed. Neo Geo had issues and the screen was bad.

Keep away from that. In fact, it was so bad I binned it.

Comment

Buy a used gaming monitor, an MDF tabletop kit from eBay (with monitor mounting board) , 1 or 2 decent sticks and corresponding buttons. Paint or decal the outsides and lightly hammer in some T Moulding. Now fit a DE10 Mister (best) or a Pi (more games, more lag), now add your, cough, legally owned roms and sit back and bask in your own glory.

Then come on here with pics

Comment

I bought a Picade from Pimoroni a while back and it was fun to build and mod. I installed mine with a Pi3 and retropie. Swapped out the stick and buttons for sanwa parts. Redid the atrwork and put a strip of USB powered LED lights in the marquee. I still need to get a 10" screen upgrade though.

Any excuse to show this off again

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            I bought a Picade from Pimoroni a while back and it was fun to build and mod. I installed mine with a Pi3 and retropie. Swapped out the stick and buttons for sanwa parts. Redid the atrwork and put a strip of USB powered LED lights in the marquee. I still need to get a 10" screen upgrade though.

Looks cool but yeah, you've got to do the screen upgrade. What I'd do is buy an old 4:3 tft monitor and gut it. . Good colour, refresh rate and 14 to 17 inches. Best of all it's the correct aspect ratio.
            Last edited by Yakumo; 15-06-2020, 23:03.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post

Absolutely love this!
              I should really push myself to try making something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by paulus View Post
                Buy a used gaming monitor, an MDF tabletop kit from eBay (with monitor mounting board) , 1 or 2 decent sticks and corresponding buttons. Paint or decal the outsides and lightly hammer in some T Moulding. Now fit a DE10 Mister (best) or a Pi (more games, more lag), now add your, cough, legally owned roms and sit back and bask in your own glory.

Then come on here with pics
                Sounds great in theory, but I could just see me messing it up. I'd rather just spend the money for a pre-built one if it's decent.

It’s-a me Mario and my 3,302 friends! Play retro games including Mario Bros., Tetris and Dragonball Z with the retro Pandora Box S5. Fight your way to a high score on Marvel vs Capcom or chomp your way around the board with Pacman; there’s something for everyone with a choice of 3,303 games! Leap frog to this table top sized arcade machine and enjoy hours of fun. Show off your super powers by connecting the machine to any screen using the VGA or HDMI cables provided and wow everyone with your gaming skills. It’s a knockout! Compete against your friends by connecting your controller to the machine using the USB cable provided and battle against your friends in fun-filled and action-packed games such as Street Fighter and Metal Slug. The arcade machine shines as bright as a Hadouken with its 10.1” crystal clear screen. Cowabunga! Customise the games by selecting your desired difficulty or number of lives in the settings. Escape to Galaga as soon as this pre-built retro arcade machine arrives: simply plug-in and play! Some of our favourite games included: Street Fighter II – Champion Edition 1, Street Fighter III, Metal Slug, After Burner II, Alex Kidd, Battletoads, Bubble Bobble, Burger Time, Darkstalkers, Double Dragon, Dig Dug, Dr Mario, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, Dragonball Z, Fatal Fury – King of Fighters, Final Fight, Galaga, Frogger, Ghosts’n’Goblins, Golden Axe, Jojo’s Bizarre Adv, Mario Bro’s, Marvel vs Capcom, Mega Man 2, Mortal Kombat, Pac-Man, Puyo Puyo, Samurai Shodown, SNK vs Capcom, Sonic the Hedgehog, Street Fighter, Streets of Rage II, Teenage Mutant, Ninja Turtles, Tetris, Wonder Boy, X-Men. Some of the games on this product may not be appropriate for children. Product Features: Coming pre-built, this machine allows you to play immediately and choose from one of the 3,303 games pre-installed on the Pandora Box S5 System. The 2.5m power cable allows you to play with ease on any table top. Whilst the VGA and HDMI cables allow you to show off your gaming skills on the big screen. Use the USB cable included to allow you to play multi-player games (the controller is not included). The crystal clear 10.1” screen is perfect for fast-paced gaming. With game previews on the main menu and the in-game pause function, this high-quality device is made for the ultimate gaming experience and perfect for the gaming enthusiast in your life. With a high-quality joystick and 8 colourful buttons, this machine will provide hours of fun. It also comes with 2 replacement buttons to ensure the arcade machine is in tip top condition. Listen to the funky, retro music with the powerful and adjustable volume speakers. 12-month electrical warranty. Specifications: Brand: MonsterShop. No. of Games: 3,303. Screen Size: 10.1”. Processor: Hi3520D V300. Weight: 3.6kg. Buttons: Joystick & 8 Buttons. Ports: DC 12V, HDMI, VGA, Audio/Aux, USB. Power cord length: 2.5m. Height: 35cm / 350mm / 13.78”. Width: 30cm / 300mm / 11.81”. Depth: 28cm / 280mm / 11.02”.

Struggling to find reviews for this one apart from a couple on Amazon

Comment

I built my double joystick version with zero lag gaming monitor for less. I also reckon that the Pi 3B+ inside offers better Emulation than a Pandoras Box with infinitely more customisation.

I'm not a DIYer at all, if you can put together an ikea bedside cabinet and wire a plug you would manage. Even scraping the carbon fibre like sticky plastic on and cutting off the excess with a razor blade was easier than I thought. I then just added some of these all over it for effect:

Comment

This thread inspired me to build something for the summer house we’re putting up in the garden. Wanting a full upright, I came across this:

Full Upright Arcade Machine flat with stikers included. Upright Arcade Machine Flat Pack Acryl Kit is manufactured from 18mm black melamine...

Has anyone here built an upright?

[MENTION=7370]paulus[/MENTION] - you can’t tell us about it and not show us! Can we see a pic, please?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

[MENTION=7370]paulus[/MENTION] - you can’t tell us about it and not show us! Can we see a pic, please?
                      This!

Comment

I'll pop some pics up on Flickr later including my Hand-built Space Invaders Pinball machine which also plays a few Mame games.

Comment

Here you go :

Mame Cabinet Front - https://www.flickr.com/photos/773779...posted-public/

Mame Cabinet Side Decals - https://www.flickr.com/photos/773779...posted-public/

Dual Monitor Pinball Table Front - https://www.flickr.com/photos/773779...posted-public/

Pinball Table Side Art Low - https://www.flickr.com/photos/773779...posted-public/

Pinball Table Side Art High - https://www.flickr.com/photos/773779...posted-public/

Space Invaders Bar Stool - https://www.flickr.com/photos/773779...posted-public/

Comment

Loving that dual monitor pinball [MENTION=7370]paulus[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Loving that dual monitor pinball @paulus
                              Cheers bud, that was my summer project last year. It mainly runs the complete FX Pinball Collection but I do also have Visual Pinball X on there along with the actual Bally Space Invaders Pinball Table (see pic below). Its not that great to play but a nice bit of history?

https://vintagearcade.net/wp-content...-Invaders3.jpg

I deliberately built in some white buttons on the top for use with Mame & to feel like the original Taito Space Invaders Controls (I'm old enough to have played it like this before the Joystick version was developed

Phil Belpedio of Arcade Amusements started in 1982 passing out change in an arcade. And now, we bring the arcade to you. Arcade Amusements can entertain more people per dollar. We keep equipment simple yet fun. You don’t need to be hi-tech to be entertained. Our games are for everyone, both men and women, young and […]
                              Last edited by paulus; 18-06-2020, 13:27. Reason: missed Mame

Comment

Working...
                              X