(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post

It is undoubtedly one of those games which shows off the original Xbox's superior graphics capabilities in comparison to the other consoles of its generation. As vanpeebles says the number of enemies you have to deal with at times is absolutely manic and all that with a frame rate which rarely drops to the point it becomes noticeable let alone affects the gameplay.
    I really like how solid and vibrant the environments are. There's something about the slightly abstract/cartoony design that helps it to stand up well today. I was actually stopping and admiring how clear and detailed the graphics are. The enemies also look quite impressive. The fact that it runs silky smooth most of the time, really makes you admire how skilled the developer was.

You have to 'get' this sort of FPS to truly enjoy it and for me it was not a sit down and finish in a few sessions type of game.
    Yeah, I played it for 45 minutes and felt content. It's like an arcade experience. I'll definitely keep coming back until I've gone through it.

Probably best now for those who want to play it on console is to get the XB360 Serious Sam HD Collection which includes virtually everything including SS3 and DLC.
    Sounds good. I'll try to find a cheapo copy.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 28-10-2018, 16:28.

Comment

Saturday straight from a crappy shift in the lab me & a few friends went to arcade club where i played an obscene amount of games. Was so great playing so many not seen arcades nowdays, some pretty rare to find ones. I have said it many times but that place is unreal £15 for unlimited play on everything for the whole day it's heaven.

4 player darius burst EX with the obscenely wide screen

My most loved game in there, they even have it running on a sit down candy cab. Spent nearly an hour plonked in front of it.

Also played tempest, centipede, astroids deluxe, arkanoid, bombjack, mr do, panic park, pacman battle royale amongst others too many to list them all.

How often do you see fully working vector monitor games astroids deluxe was a treat, they look so amazing in person even now. The brightness from the firing on the other non deluxe version of astroids was so bright it looked like a led going off it was crazy i forgot how vivid those screens are. So hard to get decent pics of the arcades though as you either get the screen or the machine but not both together as it washes the pic out with the light levels.

Also played a ton of non retro stuff super table flip 2, jubeat, sound voltex heavenly haven, taiko no tatsujin 13, tom tom future.

Here's the rest of the pics from the evening, gutted i spotted a galaga 88 machine & i missed playing. Well that's earmarked for another visit.

Was retro heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post

Was retro heaven.

Looks like an amazing place.

Comment

Arranging a meet there would be nice.

Comment

I was well into Sexy Parodius and then my screen died. Some amazing art in that game.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              I was well into Sexy Parodius and then my screen died. Some amazing art in that game.
              Yeah, it's full of creativity and memorable art. All the games in the series put a smile on my face.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                I had a few goes of Super Tennis. Still a fun game that's full of charm -- Nintendo really should have put it on the SNES Mini.
                Along with ActRaiser and Pilotwings.

Three baffling omissions.

Comment

Was retro heaven.
                  I tend to go about once a month, I absolutely love the place!

I feel like I'm almost starting to take it for granted, but as someone who has loved arcades since I was really young, I spent years wishing such a place existed. I sometimes enjoy just walking around just looking at everything!

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                    I tend to go about once a month, I absolutely love the place!
                    That looks amazing! I'm going to guess it's in London?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      That looks amazing! I'm going to guess it's in London?
                      Nope it's up in Bury in manchester. London has nothing compared to this.
                      Arcade Club is Europe’s largest free play video and pinball arcade. More than 1000 well maintained classic arcade machines in our ever expanding library. Three exciting locations: Bury in Manchester, Leeds and Blackpool, all with modern and classic games to explore. Once inside all games are free to play! We have family-friendly venues with a bar and diner for you to enjoy. Open every Thursday to Sunday, Bank Holiday Mondays and for special seasonal events.

The website only lists a fraction of the games they have.

Comment

Final Fantasy 7

Haven't played it since I clocked it 20 years ago. Better than I recall it being, actually. Years of reading contrarian viewpoints, and playing shoddy newer RPGs, tainted my memories of this. Using the retranslation too, which makes things much, MUCH more coherent.

Some things I'm noticing:
                        * Progress is much faster this time round. About 12 hours in and already at Gold Saucer.
                        * The visuals look fantastic on a large CRT. Articles on the game tend to use emulated screens, which really harm the CG backgrounds. Old fashioned CRT make them look crisp and gorgeous.
                        * There's very little fluff in terms of examining stuff. Most RPGs will have description boxes for bins, chests of drawers, plant pots, etc. None of that here. Which I'd forgotten actually...
                        * The materia system is still better than any other RPG system. So versatile.

Comment

Sin and Punishment 2 Wii. Left my Wii at Lucy's house so the kids can use it there if they want. So grabbed a 2nd hand one and modded it and checked region freeness(Tm) with S&P disc. What a game. So much fun.

Comment

Nope it's up in Bury in manchester. London has nothing compared to this.
                            Arcade Club is Europe’s largest free play video and pinball arcade. More than 1000 well maintained classic arcade machines in our ever expanding library. Three exciting locations: Bury in Manchester, Leeds and Blackpool, all with modern and classic games to explore. Once inside all games are free to play! We have family-friendly venues with a bar and diner for you to enjoy. Open every Thursday to Sunday, Bank Holiday Mondays and for special seasonal events.

The website only lists a fraction of the games they have.
                            Might have to swing by next time I’m down the M6 heading to Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              Might have to swing by next time I’m down the M6 heading to Wales.
                              It really is worth the trip your mind will explode when you go in for the first time. When i first went in i was overloaded just by the music games, when i hit the retro floor i was proper geeking out at the machines i had sometimes only ever seen once as a kid, all there and on freeplay. The problem is that there's almost too much as you will struggle hard to play everything on one trip.

Comment

It really is worth the trip your mind will explode when you go in for the first time.
                                Absolutely! When you first walk in, those lines of cabs are jaw dropping. And it gets even better when you explore some more!

I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone who liked arcades in the 80s/90s.

Two floors of an old mill, absolutely rammed with machines (probably over 200) generally in great condition for their age. I think they've pretty much run out of space, although I believe a third floor is coming in the future!

Comment

Working...
                                X