No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One small thing I spotted in Rogue One yesterday. I had always said about how I just didn’t buy Vader in his first scene in the movie. He seems small to me and moves all wrong. His walk has a sway that classic Vader never had and the helmet didn’t seem to sit right at the neck. So Vader was about as real as Tarkin for me on first watch. And yet I never had a problem with how he seemed at the end of the movie. Well I noticed yesterday in the credits that two people did his body work so I might have been watching two quite different performances there.

The only other thing that bothers me about Rogue One is the music, especially the main theme, which is like when a sitcom wants to do a callback to a classic theme but can’t afford the music rights.

Comment

All this adoration for Rogue One is making want to pick up the Blu-Ray from somewhere in town given I can't find on any steaming service now.

You'd think the numbered entries would take from this film and go for the more mature, sightly dubious character moments (I guess there are a couple in TRoS but I won't spoil them). As it stands though Disney wants them to have the broadest appeal which is fair enough but tonally they'll never be as dark/mature as the spin-offs.

Like what Cassius wrote, give Edwards or a similar director another shot so we have more SW films that give viewers what they want. I guess Disney doesn't want audiences to respect the non-numbered entries more and despise the numbered ones though.

Comment

I'm in the camp that found Leia's CG face in Rogue One to be hugely awful, exactly the same in TROS as well whereas Luke's was well done.

In the wake of the release of “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker,” some of the complaints had by critics of the film have dealt with the messiness of the script and the lingering questions the film leaves behind. Some of those unanswered questions are deliberately designed that way, while others appear to have revealed […]

Abrams reveals what Finn was trying to tell Rey - which makes zero sense in context of the scenes he raises it

Just days after the ninth and final film of ‘The Skywalker Saga’ in “Star Wars” hit cinemas, pre-orders are now available on Best Buy for a new 4K “Star Wars” disc collection. The box set will reportedly feature all nine films in the saga across 27 discs (likely a 4K UHD, a regular Blu-ray and […]

Meanwhile a 4K collection of the nine Episodes movies is lined up for release:

27 discs and $250

Comment

Unless it restores the originals, which I don’t think it will, I’d have no need for this in my life.

Comment

Also, Disney's been keenly pushing the narrative of Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalkers box office success story despite the film struggling in China. It enjoyed the second highest grossing Xmas Day haul of all time and in mere days has passed $517m worldwide, by the end of the weekend it will have overtaken half the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Well I noticed yesterday in the credits that two people did his body work so I might have been watching two quite different performances there.
              While true, only Daniel Naprous ended up on screen, everything that Spencer Wilding filmed was eventually cut or refilmed.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                While true, only Daniel Naprous ended up on screen, everything that Spencer Wilding filmed was eventually cut or refilmed.
                Ah, I didn’t know that. That’s my theory in the bin then. I guess he just suits some scenes better than others although I suspect some of it may be the fit of the costume.

Comment

I wont be seeing this new film in cinema, sounds just as crap as I thought it would be.

I will be subscribing to disney+ for a month to watch The Mandalorian though at some stage as that sounds ace.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    I wont be seeing this new film in cinema, sounds just as crap as I thought it would be.

I will be subscribing to disney+ for a month to watch The Mandalorian though at some stage as that sounds ace.
                    I have just come out of the cinema from watching this and I think it was actually really good. Way better than the last one. In fact the last one was bloody awful in my opinion.
                    This one has a few iffy parts but overall it was a good movie with a lot of nice surprises.
                    Don't listen to people's opinion and see for yourself.

Comment

OK, I've seen this now. This film in a nutshell:

Alternatively perhaps we could retitle this trilogy as:

The Fanservice Awakens
                      Attack of the Rian Johnson
                      The Fanservice Strikes Back

Impressions after the jump:

Oh man, what to say? This is a hyperactive grab bag of ideas new and old - mostly old - that simultaneously manages to be both a lot of fun and fan-pandering nonsense.

A few things that stand out to me:

- Chewie gets his medal. I mean, LOL . I burst out laughing when I saw that. It does the sum film up in so many ways.

- It looks great! I actually really liked some of the photography and the effects both practical and digital were awesome.

- The meta 'war of the directors' stuff, like Luke catching the lightsabre and saying "That's no way to treat a Jedi's weapon", or similar, uh, that was really weird and definitely pulled me out of the fantasy. It was kind of hilarious actually, but only because it felt incredibly petty. There was really no need for it. There were other moments that did the same thing, but they're not springing to mind right now.

- I think my view on this film was completely crystallised in the final sequence, with Rey saying 'Rey Skywalker' and then the music swelling over her looking at the two suns (the original bit is my favourite moment of any Star Wars. And I'm there in the cinema and I'm tearing up like oh my god, this is incredible and AT THE VERY SAME TIME I'm thinking "This is absolutely ridiculous, it makes no sense, it's total pandering!" . I enjoyed moments like this that very obviously played to those classic moments - and boy, were there a lot of them - but I did so guiltily. It was a guilty pleasure. Because it's not actually good. It's just nostalgia.

- The Leia soundboard. Not good. I thought it was way too obvious she'd been cut and pasted in from older films, it didn't work for me. Her dialogue sounded like they pulled the string on her back and she came out with a random, generally-applicable soundbite.

- The Rey/Ren telepathy fights and being able to transfer items (building to the pivotal moment she hands over the lightsabre). I LOVED this. One of the best things. I'm so glad this force power was introduced in Last Jedi, it's really one of the best new ideas of this whole series and was used to really strong effect here.

OK, that's all for now. I'm sure more will come to me.

Comment

The thing about

very visibly and clumsily trying to undo The Last Jedi felt like that gag in X-Men Apocalypse about the third film being rubbish. Those in crappier houses shouldn’t throw stones. Or should get their own house in order or some other suitable phrase. He wasted time in his own movie on that rubbish, making two films worse in the process.

Comment

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION]

Yeah, it was ridiculous. Another time when it happened was when somebody said to Rey about her parents NOT being nobodies. Like 'That's what they wanted you to think', or something. My eyes almost rolled into the back of my head.

It's a really weird trilogy, now, as it stands. In the OT, it felt like everything was roughly going in the same direction - you did have Leia turning out to be Luke's brother, which in retrospect is ludicrous - but mostly it was relatively directional.

Whereas in this trilogy there's this weird push and pull between the two directors, which makes it a very odd duck as a whole.

I think for me, while these movies are fun, none of them really stand up as great films that will be worth returning to in 40 years time like the first and second film are.

My honest opinion is that there are two really good Star Wars films and the rest are at best disposable fun (and at worst really bad films).

Maybe in the next trilogy we'll get something different. That would be fun. In my heart of hearts though, I don't think we will. I think mainline Star Wars films are about a band of plucky rebels taking on an empire, with space wizards being the deciding factor, and lots of family mystery stuff. That's just what they are and I don't think Disney will want to stray too far from that formula.

Comment

Yeah, I’m pretty much exactly where you are, [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]. I do love the universe and those first two movies and I find I can enjoy most Star Wars that is put in front of me. I really enjoyed lots of this new one, especially that one force element you mentioned. But yep, they just are what they are. And that’s probably okay. They’re just movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Yeah, I’m pretty much exactly where you are, @wakka. I do love the universe and those first two movies and I find I can enjoy most Star Wars that is put in front of me. I really enjoyed lots of this new one, especially that one force element you mentioned. But yep, they just are what they are. And that’s probably okay. They’re just movies.
                              Yeah, exactly. And pretty silly ones, too. I had a lot of fun watching this new one. It's a load of corny old stuff, but that's what Star Wars IS. And that's not the worst thing in the world. We need silly, corny, fun stuff. I think people expecting something MORE from Star Wars are on a hiding to nothing ultimately.

Comment

So Mandalorian season 1 is done. I really liked it. Streaming event of the century it is not, but solid writing and directing, with nice fill-in for the Mandalorian lore. Apparently, you need to watch Rebels to understand something at the end of the last episode, so I'm watching that next as it's already on D+.

Comment

Working...
                                X