X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top shaggist. RIP.

Comment

It was probably likely the pneumonia got him. Covid19 won't have helped but if a 100 year old gets pneumonia it's touch and go anyway.
      Not sure why he didn't have the vaccine, maybe they were knew it might clash with other meds he was on.
      A damn shame about him, but he went out with a bang.

Comment

Hal Holbrook;

Comment

I think the Holiday thing and the fact that he was able to have family with him in hospital while, so many of us aren't. (my gran died alone after being confined to her room for months late December) is whats got people a little bit peed off. I also think that the money he raised for the NHS is a distraction, While the news is focused on him the Torries siphoned billions via dodgy PPE contracts and failed track and track and trace systems essentially wiping out any good he did.

Comment

To be honest, it was twitter and the like making it viral than anything Captain Tom did. They expected a few hundred quid from friends and the people made it happen, no doubt thinking it was funny.

Lebowski, I would be mighty pissed off if I were you. This story is going to have a massive detrimental effect on covid as people start going abroad right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              Not sure why he didn't have the vaccine, maybe they were knew it might clash with other meds he was on.
              That was exactly it. It was due to the pneumonia treatment.

Yeah, the holiday thing seems to bring out a bit of a mean streak in people. I mean, you wouldn't catch me anywhere near a plane or an airport and I don't think it was remotely smart. But firstly that's not how he got it. And secondly, people seem unable to mention the trip without pointing out that it was all expenses paid, as if he somehow didn't deserve that and we should begrudge him for it.

Comment

I doubt the holiday was the cause but the fame his accomplishment brought meant he was out and about and interacting with people insanely more than he would have been otherwise. Hell of a final year experience for him with all the success, fame, experiences etc but it has that air that had he not the fund raising he'd still be here himself.

Comment

His whole life ahead of him.

Comment

Free trip or not it’s unnecessary travel of a 100 year old man whilst a global pandemic is ravaging the entire world, I know he tested negative going and on return, December 11th - January 6th, so measures were obviously taken and I wasn’t implying he got it on holiday, I was posting it because it’s relevant to his diagnosis of pneumonia which put him in the position to contract coronavirus.

It’s not really about who can or can’t travel is wether that decision should have been made or not, I believe it shouldn’t have been allowed.
                    One of the saddest parts of all this is William Shakespeare got vaccinated first in December 8th, Sir Captain Tom should have been the first person to get the jab considering what he did, then again he couldn’t even get it because he was on holiday, then when he came back he contracted pneumonia which prevented him from receiving the jab.

Also I do know this was before the official lockdown was announced but people are allowed to be annoyed and disappointed that this happened whilst also praising the good that Sir Captain Tom did and sadness that he died.

Comment

He died 100 years old surrounded by his family reminiscing around him after a great year topped off with an amazing holiday. No one can hope for a better way to go. RIP Cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                        I wasn’t implying he got it on holiday, I was posting it because it’s relevant to his diagnosis of pneumonia which put him in the position to contract coronavirus..
                        It really felt like that's exactly what you were implying. Did he get pneumonia as a result of his trip? And I'm still not seeing the relevance of the trip being all expenses paid.

Comment

I mean the guy was 100 and spent his life in the service. Give him an all expenses paid trip, who cares. He earned it.

Comment

Here's my take on Captain Tom.

1. It's great that he raised a lot of money for the NHS.
                            2. We should not be in the position where 100 year old veterans are required to raise money for the NHS.
                            3. It was irresponsible of him and his family to go on holiday in December.
                            4. It was irresponsible for his family to be allowed in the hospital with him.
                            5. It is still very sad that he has died.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                              I was posting it because it’s relevant to his diagnosis of pneumonia which put him in the position to contract coronavirus.
                              How is it in any way related to his diagnosis of pneumonia Covid-19 unless it's trying to tie a link between the two events?
                              Last edited by MartyG; 03-02-2021, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                I mean the guy was 100 and spent his life in the service. Give him an all expenses paid trip, who cares. He earned it.
                                And his family? At a time when we're told to avoid unnecessary travel? When my kids can't go and hug their Grandparents, I can't go and see my Mum for a cup of tea?

I didn't go to a single scan or appointment for my third child despite the extra precautions the hospital wanted to take due to the heart issues my second was born with.

My wife had to go through additional consultations, blood tests, scans, examinations etc. on her own without any form of support. All I could do was sit in the car and wait. Then, once number three was born in October and needed to go back to hospital for scans of her heart I wasn't allowed in then.

My Gran had a stroke last week and my Mum wasn't allowed to go down to see her.

I'm with [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION] on this with point 2 being a really important one as what happens the next time there's a pandemic? The NHS needs decent funding in order to be all it can be. This will not happen under a Conservative government.

Comment

Working...
                                X