[15 years!] The NeoGeo Pocket Color Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
    I'm looking forward to the physical release of this. Interesting its volume 1. What titles could form a volume 2, that would make it compelling? The majority of big hitters are right here.
    You've got a point:

I mean that's the machine's best foot forward. The only real game missing I can see there is Cardfighters Clash. No-one's queueing up to play Biomotor Unitron, and I think most of the other good games like Puzzle Bobble or Magical Drop have better versions already available everywhere.

The only thing I can think of is that volume 2 might be something of an Sports & RPG-focused collection; they could do...

Baseball Stars
    Pocket Tennis
    Neo Cup 98 Color
    Dive Alert!
    Faselei!
    Cardfighters Clash
    Evolution: Eternal Dungeons

... but I'm starting to struggle there a bit.

However, one thing which I bet could shift units of a vol2 is if SNK pulled a Nintendo/Starfox2, and put out Cardfighters Clash 2 in such a collection. That would shift units. It has a complete fan translation they could crib from for the release.

That being said, if they do this, just be aware; CFC2 isn't all that. I mean, it's fine, but it's really just more of the same; it really didn't grab me when I finally got to try it this year, despite how the original is one of my favourite games.

Comment

The only games I thought may be interesting are, reaching out to Sega to grab Sonic Pocket Adventure, or doing a Nintendo/Sin and Punishment and using Japanese versions of games, Rockman, Cotton and Cool Boarders which are probably good for name value if not for quality and thus nostalgia.

I'm hoping it is not a collection of the gambling/pachislot games that they released.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
        The only games I thought may be interesting are, reaching out to Sega to grab Sonic Pocket Adventure, or doing a Nintendo/Sin and Punishment and using Japanese versions of games, Rockman, Cotton and Cool Boarders which are probably good for name value if not for quality and thus nostalgia.

I'm hoping it is not a collection of the gambling/pachislot games that they released.
        This is part of the problem, I guess. Sonic Pocket Adventure is a great example, because while it's fun to NGPC nerds like us, it's really just notable for being a good handheld port of Sonic 2 (with a few added extras). Similar issue to the NGPC versions of Magical Drop and NeoCup98, on a machine with the ACA Magical Drop and SuperSidekicks games.

The fighters work because I think they have something unique, but most of the titles just don't, again, for anyone outside the NGPC nerds. That being said, I suppose if they design the collection well, it should be pretty easy to bang out pretty much the whole NGPC catalogue on the cheap, so maybe they don't need to earn that much.

Comment

And what would be the icing on the cake, would be a Joycon produced with that amazing clicky little d-pad. Of course that is purely in the realms of fantasy.

Comment

Just had my unit back from a screen upgrade. I took some pics before for comparison purposes, and, well...

There's more pics before and after but needless to say I recommend it. For anyone curious, Retro Game Reclaim did the job for me and were communicative and super quick turning it all around. Cheers to them!

Comment

That looks terrific. Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                Just had my unit back from a screen upgrade. I took some pics before for comparison purposes, and, well...
                There's more pics before and after but needless to say I recommend it. For anyone curious, Retro Game Reclaim did the job for me and were communicative and super quick turning it all around. Cheers to them!
                Amazing! And the best colour variant too.

Comment

That looks pretty amazing! I really should consider getting that done.

Comment

Right, so, that there Switch Neo Geo Pocket Color (sic) Collection.

Western pre-orders for the physical version are going live today, and there's a few options if you're fancying it.

Limited Run have the following, including a replica US cardboard NGPC game box...

Whereas Pix'n Love are handling things in the EU, and in their collectors edition have gone with the mini clamshell instead...

If you're looking to go fully overboard, they even have two, Capcom and SNK themed 'Deluxe' editions with vinyl.

Comment

That's going to be scalped into the Sun.

A pity, because it'd make a great future gift for my son.

Comment

LRG and Pix'n Love have both done a really nice job with those. Got to admit I'm kinda tempted by the Pix'n Love, although it's likely to be more than it's really worth to me.

Comment

Personally hoping to grab the Pix'n Love collector's middle-edition for the clamshell box. If you're not too fussed between them, good news is that the LRG one is a 4 week open pre-order.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                            Personally hoping to grab the Pix'n Love collector's middle-edition for the clamshell box. If you're not too fussed between them, good news is that the LRG one is a 4 week open pre-order.
                            Has the clamshell box already sold out? No reference to it on that French site.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              Has the clamshell box already sold out? No reference to it on that French site.

This is the one - just checked out on it now, €77.04 all in.

This edition numbered at 1500 copies includes:
                              • The game NEOGEO POCKET COLOR SELECTION Vol.1 (physical edition) for Nintendo Switch™ and its manual.
                              • A certificate of authenticity numbered at 1500 copies.
                              • A 80-page richly illustrated artbook.
                              • An official NEOGEO POCKET COLOR snap case in which to store a Nintendo Switch™and NEOGEO POCKET game.
                              • Ten lithographs.
                              • An exclusive cardboard sleeve.

Comment

I honestly thought I would but I just can't.

As an NGPC fan this is absolute crack to me, it's my dream product... But I said I wasn't going to order anything from SNK while they're still owned by the Saudi crown prince, and I'm going to stand by that.

Hope it looks as good as it does in the picture for those who go for it!

EDIT: Just saw the vinyls! Now there's a pointless bit of tat. It's not like the NGPC is highly regarded for its music.

Comment

Working...
                                X