Densha De GO! Hashirou Yamanote-Sen - PS4/Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Densha De GO! Hashirou Yamanote-Sen - PS4/Switch

Managed to get a couple of hours on this last night. So far I've played to the last mission in the career>training section (managed to unlock a secret path there too). Have to say, I am loving this. The updated visuals are great, not mind blowing, but enough to immerse you. After a bit of learning, the game is pretty straight forward and it becomes a nice slightly chilled skills and observational based game. Stop at the platform at a fair decent distance (go for 0mm!), get to station on time (be sharp in noticing speed limit changes and adjust in good time. Observe and react (point and honk!) to things along the way.

For Densha fans or even anyone with a bit of interest in Japan and it's cool looking trains, this is a lovely game to chill on. I've yet to get a grasp of how much content there is so far, but I'll report back with an update soon.

Oh VR mode is cool too. A bit of a drop in resolution (as is the PSVR way) but once you are off, you don't notice. The immersion is really good. Only Arcade mode is supported though.

Can't wait to carry on my Driver's Story tonight.

Thank you for scratching my itch for more info. I am quite tempted to stream this (I have never done that) when I get it.

Is there a chain/link system to the scoring like in DDG Final?
    I am actually quite interested to know about the "secret path" and is there anything except the Yamanote line (so far)?

Comment

Originally posted by saif View Post

Is there a chain/link system to the scoring like in DDG Final?
      I am actually quite interested to know about the "secret path" and is there anything except the Yamanote line (so far)?
      No, there isn't the chain system scoring like found in Final. Depending on the mode, scoring differs. The campaign, 'Driver's Story' you build up hearts in order to take examinations and you get points based on 1/3 star ratings during missions, such as maintaining decent speed adherence etc. Hearts are awarded for for your observations and actions, such as acknowledging the speed limit changes, iron bridges (with honk of horn) etc. Alongside this, you can get Game Over if you keep making boo-boos. There's a mission gauge located at top middle of screen. It gradually depletes, but bumps up as you do good.

Arcade Mode is more score based, so you'll just build up stars. You'll lose points for mistakes. No Game Over.

I think I unlocked the secret missions by getting either decent score or enough hearts in Campaign. As well as the Yamanote Line, there is the Sobu line, Saikyo Line, Ueno Tokyo Line and Narita Express.

There's a lot to do to be fair. Arcade mode looks the smallest mode. Campaign is pretty hefty. Considering the S ranks to achieve for the 4 difficulties there are for each journey (Easy, Normal, Hard and GO!! (same in Arcade Mode actually). There's also the Daily Roulette too which randomises a daily journey for you to do (mixes up the line, vehicle, weather, passenger load). You can Favourite these too for replay-ability.

Still getting used to it myself.

Some tips. When you start a journey, hold L2 so that your train is in the brake position (L2 is emergency break position, but it suffices without any penalty). Once the 'door closed' light is on, you can release L2 and start accelerating. Be mindful of passenger load and weather (these are indicated before journey), these factors affect your braking distances.
      Last edited by hudson; 17-12-2020, 09:14.

Comment

Given it a quick go so far, damn so much to remember i forgotten a lot of how to do this but i went and changed the controls to standard as i need more breaking graduations. The direct stick method is a little too inprecise as having to hold it in a set position gets tiring after a while and i end up slipping up and down too much, i'm gonna try the other method where a flick of the stick up or down moves it a notch. With the game using the analogues pretty much kills using any densha controller even via an adapter it wouldn't do squat with my wii one sadly.

So far i'm enjoying it though the game looks lovely, nicer graphics do make it more enjoyable.

Comment

You can hold L1 to have the stick move in step mode. Get the best of both worlds.

Comment

So been playing a lot more of this and it's really clicking, but at the same time the challenge is nicely increasing. One thing I'm enjoying is the different updates on speed limits and speed control. For example, an orange speed prompt will let you know that you can adjust to this speed at next orange (virtual) gate (you may need to decrease your speed too). If you see a sky blue speed prompt, this means you get points for being this speed by the time you hit the sky blue gate. This can be tricky and need some swift speed control. A dark blue speed prompt requires (you don't have to) you to maintain this speed between the dark blue gates. You get points and grades for doing this. It really adds depth to the Densha De GO series.

I think this game is brilliant. What seemed elusive in past games is really well pointed out here in an arcade-skill-based almost rhythmic fashion. Yes, the Japanese language can seem daunting, but give it a bit of time and it will click. I am hooked.

[MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] Thought you may be interested to see this video. Although, I'm not sure what these devices are. Looks expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              So been playing a lot more of this and it's really clicking, but at the same time the challenge is nicely increasing. One thing I'm enjoying is the different updates on speed limits and speed control. For example, an orange speed prompt will let you know that you can adjust to this speed at next orange (virtual) gate (you may need to decrease your speed too). If you see a sky blue speed prompt, this means you get points for being this speed by the time you hit the sky blue gate. This can be tricky and need some swift speed control. A dark blue speed prompt requires (you don't have to) you to maintain this speed between the dark blue gates. You get points and grades for doing this. It really adds depth to the Densha De GO series.

I think this game is brilliant. What seemed elusive in past games is really well pointed out here in an arcade-skill-based almost rhythmic fashion. Yes, the Japanese language can seem daunting, but give it a bit of time and it will click. I am hooked.

[MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] Thought you may be interested to see this video. Although, I'm not sure what these devices are. Looks expensive.

That looks awesome I need to research this controller, looks a bit tricky to set up but it looks perfect.

Comment

Here's their Twitter account (SanYing) which leads to their website etc. £130 by the looks of it, but you need some kind of controller macros programmer adapter which costs nearly another £100 Titan Two
                Last edited by hudson; 21-12-2020, 09:49.

Comment

I've been playing a few hours here and there, and while I've got the general hang of it I feel like there's a lot of mission objectives that I'm completely missing. I've busted out the old google translate camera every now and again but I've missed a few opportunities to screenshot some of the other point deductions I'm getting.

Tag yourself, I'm "Horn on the iron bridge"

Comment

In a previous post, I said as a tip, to hold the L2 (Emergency brake) at start, but there are several missions that have "don't engage emergency brake at all" as an objective! So instead, just hold down on Left stick.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                      Tag yourself, I'm "Horn on the iron bridge"
                      Is that the name of an album?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I'm "G Sensor Play Guard"
                        Excellent choice!

Comment

Been playing a bit more today i seem to be doing quite well in mission mode playing on normal difficulty so far and managed to get quite a lot of A & S ranks but i needed more hearts to unlock the final mission at the end of the line. Decided to go back through the first string of missions & change difficulty modes to get some more hearts. Also unlocked the secret branch path but i haven't done any of those yet, keep getting caught out by the speed limit signs they are like "you can go at 60 now" then you do so and shortly after it's like "make sure you stay under 40" hahaha caught you out here's a penalty for you. So i'm travelling slower than i probably should but it gives me time to figure out what incoming things i need to look out for especially for those train fan heart ranks. Finally started to remember to turn off the headlights when you approach incoming trains so that's a start.

Enjoying it a lot so far.

Comment

I *still* have not got it. It is still, apparently, on the way from Netherlands since 27th December.

Comment

Completed the first 2 licenses in mission mode been doing more of the side ones like the secret mission off branches and those gold circled harder missions. Still can't work out what the yellow checkpoint gates are for the ones that have the variable seconds time on them i guess you are supposed to get to them within a certain time limit but i never know if im over or under with them the blue and orange speed gates i have worked out but the yellows still confuse me.

Got caught off guard on one of the side missions as it was using a different train and i didn't realise for that model the break was assigned to the right stick, cue me blazing through a station lol sorry passengers you'll have to wait for next one i'm already on my way

Comment

Working...
                              X