Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Awesome !. Summo is the man. Love Magnificent Butcher Summo's battle with Chung Fat is incredible as is Yuen Mole Monkey Pole; some of the most impressive skills and mastery of weapon (insert joke here) I have ever seen in a Kung Fu Film
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 05-07-2019, 06:23.

Comment

Three classics.

Comment

Eastern Condors is easily one of my faves.

It's crazy brutal.
        Don't get too attached to any character as it's unlikely they'll make it to the end.
        There are asshole stabbings, ball kicks, hands lopped off, snakes skinned and all sorts.
        I think it's the snake scene that was previously cut, so I'm unsure why the BBFC are cool with it now?

It's the fight scenes that make it though.
        Sweet criminy, they're amazing. Sammo Hung is still the best living fight choreographer and possibly of all time, IMHO.
        Dat end fight tho.
        Yuen Biao looks amazing as he flips and kicks with classic moves. Ahhh, you gotta see it, but wow!
        It's also the way Hung captures the action. Rock steady camera, but also kinetic, following the fighters' movements and cutting at the right time.

Look at this shot.
        Yuen Biao is fighting Yuen Wah (who always does a great bad guy).
        Biao kicks high and is blocked. Cut.
        Wah's punch is blocked. Cut.
        Wah kicks and the waist-high camera pans up. They trade blows and Biao dodges backwards from a kick, revealing behind them Sammo fighting on a balcony. Cut.
        Sammo's fight then becomes the focus and he flips across the balcony.

Perfection in fight choreography in my eyes.

Comment

I made the mistake of trying to trying to watch Revenger on Netflix whilst I wrote that last night.

It's not a bad film and has some great fights, but in comparison the rock-steady shots by Sammo, it's like they're filming it in an earthquake.

I'll try and finish it off tonight.

Comment

Eastern Condors is easily one of my faves.

It's crazy brutal.
            Don't get too attached to any character as it's unlikely they'll make it to the end.
            There are asshole stabbings, ball kicks, hands lopped off, snakes skinned and all sorts.
            I think it's the snake scene that was previously cut, so I'm unsure why the BBFC are cool with it now?

It's the fight scenes that make it though.
            Sweet criminy, they're amazing. Sammo Hung is still the best living fight choreographer and possibly of all time, IMHO.
            Dat end fight tho.
            Yuen Biao looks amazing as he flips and kicks with classic moves. Ahhh, you gotta see it, but wow!
            It's also the way Hung captures the action. Rock steady camera, but also kinetic, following the fighters' movements and cutting at the right time.

Look at this shot.
            Yuen Biao is fighting Yuen Wah (who always does a great bad guy).
            Biao kicks high and is blocked. Cut.
            Wah's punch is blocked. Cut.
            Wah kicks and the waist-high camera pans up. They trade blows and Biao dodges backwards from a kick, revealing behind them Sammo fighting on a balcony. Cut.
            Sammo's fight then becomes the focus and he flips across the balcony.

Perfection in fight choreography in my eyes.

Great to this classic getting a Blu-ray release. It’s probably my most watched Laserdisc and is in danger of getting worn out!

Comment

Watched 'A Book of Heroes' and its an epic stunt fest with those Taiwanese stuntmen just putting their bodies on the line, some insane stunts and action.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Watched 'A Book of Heroes' and its an epic stunt fest with those Taiwanese stuntmen just putting their bodies on the line, some insane stunts and action.
                Not even heard of this before, thanks, TA.

I'll investigate!

Comment

Not even heard of this before, thanks, TA.

I'll investigate!
                  Just done 4 Nights shifts ,before my annual leave and so downloaded a ton of Kung Go films to put on my Tablet to watch while working Nights and this was one of them .It's an utter gem and seems to copy Project A sets and action LOL

Comment

I saw the trailer for Hobbes & Shaw and although funny, there was no tension.
                    The action looks all CGI and the fights had no threat to them, just wading through disposable henchmen.

Here's why: They have a contract to never lose a fight and stipulate how many times they can be punched.

Comment

Watched Moon Warriors (haven't seen it in years) Those weapon fights are so fast and so well done

Nobody does weapons better than Sammo

Comment

I've a question for you, [MENTION=3542]Team Andromeda[/MENTION] (and anyone else interested).
                        Saw a clip of a Donnie Yen in one of his earlier films and they really seemed to speed him up - noticeably so.
                        It looked a bit silly in a Benny Hill kind of way.

Quite often with the re-releases of these older films, they re-do the subs.
                        Now some people like that but others say making them less silly loses some of the charm.

Would you welcome a remaster of some of these films with ridiculous overcranking slowed down to make them more realistic, or shouldn't you meddle with something that's been that way for 20+ years?

Comment

I've a question for you, [MENTION=3542]

Would you welcome a remaster of some of these films with ridiculous overcranking slowed down to make them more realistic, or shouldn't you meddle with something that's been that way for 20+ years?
                          I don't like the new dubs or sound effects used in the remasters tbh. To this day, I still rather watch my VHS Made In Hong Kong videos of Snake in Eagles Shadow and Drunken Master because I grew up with that English dub and don't like the new Dub in the DVDs or the new music in Snake.

It's very silly and very trivial but there you go

Its very

Comment

I’d be happy to see the action at genuine speed and the subtitles as accurate as possible. Overcranked action looks terrible at the lousy 24fps used for films.
                            And I’d happily see dubbing another language onto films disappear altogether. There’s a disconnect when you can see and hear voices that just don’t belong there.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              And I’d happily see dubbing another language onto films disappear altogether. There’s a disconnect when you can see and hear voices that just don’t belong there.
                              I would agree with most of that, but like a choice of dub and most '70s or '80s Kung Fu films were dubbed, even for the mandarin, given no sound was recorded life, back in the day due to noise, wasn't Jackie Chan's Police Story III one of the 1st not to be dubbed even and record voice dialogue at source

Comment

There's a charm to "Your Kung Fu... is weak... prepare... to die... You bastard!"

Also, not everyone can read, so I want things accessible.
                                Things is, updated dubs is fine (IMHO), although when you've seen something a dozen times, it's surprising to see a different sub pop up.

As far as I know, nobody has tinkered with the framerate of something, that's why I was asking what you guys though. Forgot how much you've seen too. [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION]. I wonder what [MENTION=11673]shinobi7000[/MENTION] would think?

Comment

Working...
                                X