No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really, really like that film. There's a very good copy out there but I never found out if it was an official release. There is now a HD copy from some streaming service but it seems to be cut. I think a lot of remastered versions are cut and that's a shame. Unless they get a bluray release, those used to be upscaled but there's better scans now. A lot of lesser known films will get lost. People are making some money by adding subs themselves and selling them.

Comment

Yes, thanks for telling me about Burning Ranger, [MENTION=11673]shinobi7000[/MENTION]!

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
        I really, really like that film. There's a very good copy out there but I never found out if it was an official release. There is now a HD copy from some streaming service but it seems to be cut. I think a lot of remastered versions are cut and that's a shame. Unless they get a bluray release, those used to be upscaled but there's better scans now. A lot of lesser known films will get lost. People are making some money by adding subs themselves and selling them.
        I've never seen it on DVD and sorry to admit it but downloaded a load of Kung Fu/horror flicks via Torrent.
        So I can watch them on the tablet, during the horrible Nightshifts

Comment

That's cool, TA, there's no legit way to buy this film now it seems. QC. did you mix up two films there? BTW you should get Licence to Steal because Yuen Biao plays a character very similar to Dragons Forever. It has at least 2 great fights and has that classic look, 90s / late 80s thing. It is a bit overrated but good still. And No Problem 2, very nice film with spoofs of famous films. The first film is crap. You might have seen this? Prinny, thanks for all the films you helped me get, sadly I lost all but a couple. Don't even remember the titles.

Comment

Speaking Of Yuen Biao I also watched A Kid from Tibet (which I do actually have on DVD as well) . Don't like the film, but there is some nice action in it and Yuen Wah is in it

I wish more films made better use of Yuen Wah mind. In Jackie Chan book, he says he was was up there with Yuen Biao for acrobatics and could hold his pose for the longest.

Comment

Kid from Tibet used to be the film Biao liked the most... Yes, they all said Yuen Wah was the most acrobatic of them all. It comes down to looks and he was never going to be given starring roles. I think it was during the filming of Human Lanterns, he had to do a stunt (in a gorilla type costume?) and he landed on a piece of wood that pierced his body, almost killing him. The stuntsmen made those films, they never get their real credit. Yuen Wah is good in Bury Me High...

Comment

Kid from Tibet used to be the film Biao liked the most... Yes, they all said Yuen Wah was the most acrobatic of them all. It comes down to looks and he was never going to be given starring roles. I think it was during the filming of Human Lanterns, he had to do a stunt (in a gorilla type costume?) and he landed on a piece of wood that pierced his body, almost killing him. The stuntsmen made those films, they never get their real credit. Yuen Wah is good in Bury Me High...
                Yeah, I saw an interview with Yuen Biao (I'm sure Sammo was also there) where Yuen Biao says its best film to show off his abilities in a small space. I get why Yuen Wah was never going to get a leading role (same for Mars) but in films like Police Story 3 and many others, when he was the bad guy, his abilities were badly underused.

Yuen Biao even said no one could do flicks or a summersault as good as Yuen Wah. I think praise doesn't come any better than that

Thank you so much Master Yu Jim-yuen
                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 20-12-2019, 13:41.

Comment

[MENTION=11673]shinobi7000[/MENTION], you fancy seeing IP Man 4 at the cinema?

Comment

Yes, I would. Only the first was really good though, and they milked the character. You aren't hoping for another gang fight at that cinema, are you?

Comment

This looks preposterous.

Comment

So before the year was out, I managed one more trip to the cinema to see Ip Man 4: The Finale, and I saw it with [MENTION=11673]shinobi7000[/MENTION]!

The films are pretty formulaic now, with Ip Man coming up against his fellow Chinese, then a foreign threat unites them and only he can take everybody down!

The first two films had the action directed by Sammo Hung and the latter two were by Yuen Woo-ping, so there's a different flavour to them. Personally, I though the implementation of 3D in the third film was really well done, so it's a shame there's no home release of the 3D version.

The film itself is a mixed bag. There's a lot of English, as it's set in America, but everybody speaks quite slowly and deliberately as the main market won't be primarily English-speaking. The bad guys are really shallow and the racism is incredibly unsubtle.
                        It must have been awkward for Scott Adkins to say things like "yellow Chinks" or for Chris Collins, who has suffered racism in real life, to play a racist.

However, the fights in this one are great, and the bad guys seem SOLID. Adkins, Collins and Mark Strange make great opponents, looking like brick outhouses compared to Yen and the others. There's a great fight between Mark Strange and Danny Chan who plays Bruce Lee in this (and Ip Man 3 and Shaolin Soccer), but the finale between Adkins and Yen is also tense.

I posted this on Twitter and both Mark Strange and Danny Chan liked it!

Comment

I enjoyed Ip Man 4 more than I thought I would. I'd say the earlier fights are a bit better than the end, always weird when they don't close with the best but it's down to taste and opinion. When I did think about it later, the story is put together very simplistically - like having a school yard, the army and immigration services come into the plot. I thought we were watching Cobra Kai at one point with a battle of school cheerleaders. Still enjoyed it thoroughly but will avoid most online reviews, some of those guys are a bit confused.

Oh yeah, these elderly european women asked Quality Chimp for autographs and pictures. It was all a bit confusing, they kept calling him Marco. Later I had to ask, he said he starred in some euro action films in the mid 1990s. I asked him if I could see these rare films, he said they were only shown on satellite channels. I asked if it was Sky, he said it was Dutch and South African channels only. No tapes or dvds exist as they are banned in the UK, apparently the action was too much...

Comment

Sounds like a good mission, lads.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                              Sounds like a good mission, lads.
                              We would have bought you lots of real ale or whetever it is, and had northern translators on stand by.

Comment

We would have bought you lots of real ale or whetever it is, and had northern translators on stand by.
                                Yes, you bloody Southern-types are difficult to understand when you start going on about ducking and weaving.

Comment

Working...
                                X