This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hobnobs and Slaw

Nonsense. Of course it was. But it was such good nonsense.

The London car chase was incredible, especially Elba's bike-o-tron(with its Transformers-esque sound effect).

The Samoa bit was pretty cringey at times(even more than the Ryan Reynolds rubbish) but the battle itself was great.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
      Hobnobs and Slaw
      I've liked your post on the title change alone. Superb!

Comment

Andromeda Strain. Slow scientific procedural. Interesting but hardly rivetting alien virus affair.

Men in black international...
        Couldnt get more than 30 mins in, boring, no laughs, Hemsworth horrendous as always.

Comment

Love the Andromeda Strain.

One of my faves.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Love the Andromeda Strain.

One of my faves.
            Personally it was a cool movie, my type of thing but I reckon the predestrain pace and lack of drama would put peeps off.

Comment

I’m a big fan of the Andromeda Strain too. The quasi futuristic style sets and the slow build up is brilliant too. Films of that era like Phase IV, Logan’s Run, Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes etc were proper sci-fi and respected the audience. We’ll gloss over The Omega Man though...

Comment

Quatermass and the Pit is my favourite. An amazing atmosphere and a ludicrous, yet astonishing, meta-theory to cover just about all paranormal phenomena.

Comment

I did that horrible thing we all do, I watched a film I love with my wife that she'd never seen. This has had some terrible results recently, we watched Lost Boys and she hated it. Hated Lost Boys? WTF. This time it was John Carpenters The Thing, which I don't care what anyone says, is still awesome. Thankfully she loved this one. Divorce demands retracted..........

Comment

No more burburs for her.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                      No more burburs for her.
                      At least I don't have to translate that here.

Comment

Omega Man has its moments.
                        I particularly like the pre-CGI shots of the empty streets, like when Neville is going insane hearing all the phones ringing:

As for The Andromeda Strain, I was introduced it, as ever with some unusual classics, but Alex Cox.

That opening segment knocked my socks off.
                        The first bit was just two guys in a van then audio. "AAAaaaRRrrGGH!"

I also love the splitscreen, conveying multiple events happening simultaneously, as the ominous soundtracks bleeps and drones. It's not classical strings, it's not even music, but it's really imposing.

(I seriously can't listen to that before bed...)

Director Robert Wise teamed up with Cinematographer Robert H. Cline and used a special lens called a Split Focus Diopter that lets the lens focus on things in the fore and background. The duo teamed up on Star Trek: The Motion Picture and used it a lot there too. It adds to that feeling that loads of things are happening at once, like the splitscreen, but it also helps add depth to the shots.

I'm not sure if you've read the book, but it's written in a fairly unique way, especially for the time, with lots of different fonts for the various computer systems they encounter. The film tries to emulate that with tickertape running across the screen and the various computer monitors alongside the actors.

I'll stop going on now, but yeah, I love it.

Comment

The Matrix - such a great movie I can watch it over and over.

Comment

They Live - Love this movie. Very creepy and very cheesy. It also has one of the best fight scenes ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                              They Live - Love this movie. Very creepy and very cheesy. It also has one of the best fight scenes ever!
                              My mate at work has had my copy for about a year now. He's moved house and I imagine it's at the bottom of a pile of boxes.

There's a really nice commentary on the DVD with Carpenter and Piper animatedly talking about the experiences making the film.

Piper had a little note book of put downs that he noted down any ideas he had for future wrestling matches. One of those was:
                              "I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum..."

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                                can watch it over and over.
                                I think there's a glitch

Comment

Working...
                                X