Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    I think you're missing my point,
    I'm just talking about why someone might not enjoy using roms or digital copies of retro games on PS4 etc... It doesn't bother me at all whether someone uses roms, everdrives, or a boxed game on cartridge or CD. When I discuss retro games and systems, I'm not thinking about how someone is playing any given game. I think genuine hardware and boxed copies of games are nice, so it's cool to see collections and what people have bought, but I'm definitely not a collector who thinks retro gaming is all about playing original copies on genuine hardware.

My hardware collection is more important to me than my games collection, simply because everdrives and ISOs make playing games so easy. I only own favourites like Castlevania IV, Sonic, Contra 3, Axelay, Wave Race etc... because I'm sentimental about them and like to have tangible copies to play now and then.

However someone chooses to enjoy retro gaming, it should be all about people actually enjoying old games and discussing them. Lots of people think old games are worthless and pointless, so people who appreciate old systems and games should always be happy to be around like-minded gamers. I don't think there should be any issues surrounding how someone opts to enjoy old games.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-09-2018, 10:10.

Comment

I'm having my Atari 2600 modded for RGB, so I decided to also buy an arcade stick for it, seeing I find the original Atari joystick painful to use. I decided that this QuickShot arcade stick could be a nice replacement. I was hoping it would be in really good condition - and it's like someone used it a few times and then left it in a cupboard since the early 90s. The actual stick is really responsive, so it makes Atari games far easier and much more enjoyable to play. It might not be a stick for people wanting to play 16-bit fighting games on the Mega Drive it's designed for, but it's a great upgrade for the Atari.

Also, someone had an NTSC copy of Pole Position for sale, so I thought it's worth buying for a few quid. Just an impulse purchase.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-09-2018, 00:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        The Zintrick 'conversion' though, all that is will be a rom that a genuine cart will have been sacrificed to make. So it's no better than a Neo SD, if anything it's worse. The way retro gaming is going on the scarcity spectrum these days it doesn't make a lot of sense.
        Ahhh, but what if Riding Hero was the sacrificial lamb? Surely then the world can be a better place with one less copy in circulation?

Comment

The last thing you want is for crap like Riding Hero to be regarded as ‘rare’ by the YouTube masses, inevitably increasing its value. So no, don’t destroy them, keep them as common and worthless as humanly possible!

Comment

Please, everyone, keep in mind that I bought "Zintrick" from someone who won't be replacing it with another copy....therefore that damage has already been done, and me buying or not buying this game won't make a difference to all the riding heroes in the world.

Now that you mention it though, "Riding Hero" is one of the NEO games I still really really want to have. Never played it, but I can't imagine it's that horrible.... screenshots look decent enough.
            Almost got a copy a few months back but alas, it was not meant to be and someone else was a little bit quicker.

Anyway. In order to distract from that polarizing purchase I made, let's return to the topic of Amiga CD32

I traded a PSVita game I got for free by accident for these four. (means I was sent two copies and the customer support told me to just keep the second one, as returning it to the US would have been pretty pricey for me)

"ATR" was the main draw for me, been wanting that for a long time. I love overhead/ isometric racers!

"Worms" has been on my list for ages, as well....as much as I enjoy the modern iterations, there's something to be said for playing the original. It's so wonderfully basic and not overloaded with stuff. Also I like the pixel worms, versus the later cartoony ones.

"Fury of the Furries" looked nice on screenshots.....typical Amiga style, which is definitely desirable. Already popped it in and playing the yellow furry reminded me very much of the feel of "Wizball", in a way.

"Project X" is very important to me because I have the Japanese sequel on PSX and never want to play it, because I'm missing part 1. Yeah, I know....

"F17 Challenge" was just a bonus as "Project X" cannot be found by itself. Tried that one too and it looks really cool for a racer of that time....nice cartoony graphics and ludicrous speed. Gameplay isn't too deep but hey, you're talking to someone who is actively searching for "Riding Hero"!

Comment

I love looking at this thread. Always so many cool items to see.
              Here are my latest gaming pick ups along with a trip down to the shops, bike ride and a nasty looking but tasty burger.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                I love looking at this thread. Always so many cool items to see.
                Here are my latest gaming pick ups along with a trip down to the shops, bike ride and a nasty looking but tasty burger.

Rolling pin for you, if the wife sees that Wii game!

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
                  "F17 Challenge" was just a bonus as "Project X" cannot be found by itself. Tried that one too and it looks really cool for a racer of that time....nice cartoony graphics and ludicrous speed. Gameplay isn't too deep but hey, you're talking to someone who is actively searching for "Riding Hero"!
                  It's much better than Riding Hero. An Amiga gem for people who like really old school arcade racers. It's definitely an Amiga racer that I still enjoy playing.

Project X isn't my type of shooter, simply because it's all very generic and way too punishing. But I know it's regarded as a classic on the Amiga scene. I think I played the PS1 sequel a long time ago and thought it was quite a bit better. I need to revisit it.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-09-2018, 13:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    Here are my latest gaming pick ups

Comment

Not "retro" games, but they're all getting on a bit now. I've been gradually building a 360 collection consisting of games that really appeal to me. So this week I added three arcade-style racers and a couple of 3D action games that have old school charm and lots of creativity.

Maybe Sega Rally being a retro franchise will let me off the hook when it comes 360 games not really qualifying for this thread.

Comment

Import Tuner!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          Import Tuner!!!
                          I didn't know about it until someone mentioned it on here a couple of months ago. It's said to be pretty decent, so I hope it's at least as fun as the Tokyo Challenge games on the Dreamcast.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Project X isn't my type of shooter, simply because it's all very generic and way too punishing. But I know it's regarded as a classic on the Amiga scene. I think I played the PS1 sequel a long time ago and thought it was quite a bit better. I need to revisit it.
                            Project X is completely overrated. As much as I like my Amiga some of the games held in high regard in the Amiga scene are dire like Xenon 2, Moonstone and Zool.

Project X2 is OK IMHO but really feels like a Euro shmup which not everyone is into.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              Project X is completely overrated. As much as I like my Amiga some of the games held in high regard in the Amiga scene are dire like Xenon 2, Moonstone and Zool.
                              Yeah, there are plenty of Amiga games that are held in high regard but would be seen as average or maybe poor in the realm of consoles.

I have fond memories of Xenon 2 impressing me with its music and graphic design, but ultimately I didn't enjoy playing it one bit. It's a really dull shooter that feels like a demo/concept rather than a proper full game.

I went back to Battle Squadron recently and it still impressed me. I'd say it's a quality experience in all areas. Still one of my favourite Amiga games that reminds me why I liked the machine so much back in the day. Disposable Hero is also a quality shooter.

Comment

I remember Apidya being a decent shmup on the Amiga, but that was way back when. In retrospect I’d imagine it’s average at best. It did get a decent conversion of R-Type 2, although Super R-Type for SNES pissed on it. Project X was a bit sh*te but it looked gorgeous at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X