No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: Early Coin-ops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually got into Defender quite recently having never really played it before. The positioning of the change direction button next to the joystick is pretty confusing, but after a few games, I feel like I'm beginning to adapt to it.
    Last edited by ZipZap; 16-09-2018, 18:52.

Comment

Having played all of these this weekend at Arcade Club I'd say Robotron is the only one that's held up for me. If DK3 were on the list that would be up there too.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Only played Bombjack on the C64, but the controls are magical. The speed of ascent and level of control on the way down are just brilliant. So exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
          but I can totally understand the argument why the 1978 - 1982 era of arcade games should hold that mantle.
          A lot of games from that era are perfect for 'high score' challenges. They offer such pure gameplay that enables you to hone your skills. When it comes to people saying that era was the best, I can imagine how amazing it must have felt to have groundbreaking games appearing in arcades every few months. It really must have felt like a magical time.

Also, some of the games still stand up well today. A lot of 8-bit computer games feel experimental and lacking, but arcade games like Defender, Donkey Kong, Robotron etc.. feel very well crafted and still play well.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
          I still enjoy playing Gorf, Phoenix and Gyruss, the latter I must have spent at least an hour playing last time I was up at Arcade Club.
          Yeah, they're also good examples from that era. I'd add Sinistar to the list.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
          Wot no mr do?
          I will create a Mr. Do!, Dig Dug sort of games battle.

Strimmer wire credit bump up heaven that was!
          What's that about?

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
          Robotron is the only one that's held up for me.
          I've always had a thing for Bomb Jack, but Robotron is the game I really enjoy playing. If I could have one machine from that lot... I'd choose Robotron.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            A lot of games from that era are perfect for 'high score' challenges. They offer such pure gameplay that enables you to hone your skills. When it comes to people saying that era was the best, I can imagine how amazing it must have felt to have groundbreaking games appearing in arcades every few months. It really must have felt like a magical time.

Also, some of the games still stand up well today. A lot of 8-bit computer games feel experimental and lacking, but arcade games like Defender, Donkey Kong, Robotron etc.. feel very well crafted and still play well.

Yeah, they're also good examples from that era. I'd add Sinistar to the list.

I will create a Mr Do!, Dig Dug sort of games battle.

What's that about?

I've always had a thing for Bomb Jack, but Robotron is the game I really enjoy playing. If I could have one machine from that lot... I'd choose Robotron.
            You used to be able to knock up credits using a piece of strimmer wire, on some cabinets with metal coin slots. Before your time I think!

Comment

You used to be able to knock up credits using a piece of strimmer wire, on some cabinets with metal coin slots. Before your time I think!
              I guessed it was something like that. I did visit arcades in the 80s, but I never took strimmer wire with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                Easy. Galaga is by the far the most fun of that lot, and the only game of its type which is still fun today. Galaxian and Space Invaders are dull now, but Galaga is timeless.
                Each to their own but I disagree, Galaxian is my favourite game of all time, the punish/reward system is superb. I never got into Galaga at all (thought it boring) though a few of my mates did, but yep it's down to personal opinion.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                Defender. That noise! Amazing days.
                Would love a real cabinet.
                First played Defender in the arcade they used to have on top of the Queen's Building in August 1981, perhaps one of the first few in the country as my mates didn't see one up north until much later in the year. Remember seeing it for the first time and thinking this was new, slapped a 10p in and couldn't believe the noise that came out of it.
                Compared to everything else we had at the time - including my beloved Galaxian this game was just on another level, it seemed it came from twenty years in the future.

Comment

Thanks again, LR!

Of those games I've played Bomb Jack the most, but I played it again recently and I don't think I like it all that much.
                  It's got some controls that you always feel like you're wrestling with and it's not got all that much charm.

I'm going with Donkey Kong because the game was and is ace, the excellent story behind it's development and introduction to America and the brilliant artwork on the cab, which is great. (I love the art of the sequels more though.)

I also love the song "Monkey Kong" by A.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    but I played it again recently and I don't think I like it all that much.
                    It's got some controls that you always feel like you're wrestling with and it's not got all that much charm.
                    I still like Bomb Jack -- I think the graphic design and main character are appealing. The gameplay is also nuanced enough to make it rewarding. I wish the developer had expanded the formula with a sequel that could have been even better. I really think Bomb Jack as a character would have been taken advantage of far more by a big publisher. It's a shame Nintendo didn't buy the rights.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I'm going with Donkey Kong because the game was and is ace, the excellent story behind it's development and introduction to America and the brilliant artwork on the cab, which is great. (I love the art of the sequels more though.)
                    Yeah, it's still a good game. It's history is also interesting, in how it had such an impact on gaming in the early 80s. The fact that it helped spawn Super Mario and endless games based on Kong, shows how significant it is. I'm definitely going back to the early games and playing them all again.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      A lot of 8-bit computer games feel experimental and lacking, but arcade games like Defender, Donkey Kong, Robotron etc.. feel very well crafted and still play well.
                      Agree 100%. Quite a large proportion of 8-bit computer/console games feel dated to me, as do 32-bit era polygonal games. Hell, we were only recently debating how N64 games look dated now, and that was cutting edge technology at the time. Yet despite all this, I feel like Pac-Man, for example, will never feel dated.

Comment

Huge thread fail for no mention of Phoenix, now that was a great early arcade game. Not 1984

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          Huge thread fail for no mention of Phoenix, now that was a great early arcade game.
                          Yeah, I'm a fan of Phoenix. So you don't have to worry -- it will be included in another Retro Arena.

Not 1984
                          Pre-1985 is "early" in my book. But I know some people might say "early" should mean pre-1983 games.

Comment

Mine were the ones in my parents' arcade: Stinger, Elevator Action, Roc N Rope and Defender (all 1983 releases except Defender from 1981).

Of those listed in the first post. I like Defender the most. The sound effects, especially the credit notification, are awesome.

Comment

Your parents have/had an arcade?! Wow, you lucky git!

As an aside when I see your username I sometimes think you’re Jazzfunk, but then I notice that you don’t mention things like vulvas or sensimilia in your posts and remember you’re not the same person.

Comment

Huge thread fail for no mention of Phoenix, now that was a great early arcade game. Not 1984
                                I mentioned it so no failure on my behalf.

As I said before, Asteroids and Tempest should’ve made the list too. I’m thinking maybe also Star Wars and Frogger. Hmmm... that’s got me thinking... how about for a future thread we look at the best vector graphics game? Battle zone, Tempest, Asteroids, Star Wars and, one of my favourites at Arcade Club, Star Castle. Just love that phosphor glow, and a case where you really cannot beat playing on original hardware.

Comment

Working...
                                X