No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A game that was really disappointing when it was released and still is now.

Comment

Harrier went from being a cool dude, to Peter Beardsley holding a drill.

Comment

Great vid, weird game, it's one of those frustrating ones I always want to like but it's just too choppy, movement feels almost as bad as a Game & Watch game, doesn't feel fluid, more like you're flitting between predetermined positions. Even back in the day it felt quite shocking.

But there's still something seductive about the aesthetic of the game, the first felt colourful and verdant, this feels more anaemic and washed out, snowy even.

Didn't Yuji Knackers program this or am I cacking against the wrong tree. Interesting to know about the 'arcade' game, why the hell didn't that get released instead? And even then, it's still choppy.

Comment

Oh look, it's the Sonic 1 bonus stages. Oh wait, no, it's Cameltry.

Comment

I'm watching right now and just chuckled to myself, I immediately thought that Sonic had ripped it off with its bonus stages YET I've never put that two and two together before, despite playing Cameltry in the arcades way before Sonic.

Weird, a revelation. I guess I've always seen Cameltry as a fluid game and the bonus stage in Sonic 1 a horrid, leaden mess. They look the same but play so different. Just strange how I never connected it before!!!

Any gen on why it's called Cameltry? Very strange name, reeks of Japlish...

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

It has a camel in the title of the game, so there must be some sense to it. I haven't got a clue what it's all about though.

I got the Super Famicom version as a 'bargain bin' sort of game back in the day -- and I found it quite charming and reasonably fun to play. Far from a great game, but I go back to it now and then. Nintendo should have bunged it on the SNES Mini to mix things up more.

Comment

I'm watching right now and just chuckled to myself, I immediately thought that Sonic had ripped it off with its bonus stages YET I've never put that two and two together before, despite playing Cameltry in the arcades way before Sonic.

Weird, a revelation. I guess I've always seen Cameltry as a fluid game and the bonus stage in Sonic 1 a horrid, leaden mess. They look the same but play so different. Just strange how I never connected it before!!!

Yeah, kind of obvious there was some ‘inspiration’ going on there! TBH, I prefer the bonus stage in Sonic 1 to those in 2, 3 and &K, and it feels like it gels with the main series gameplay than the later bonus games (NB I don’t like the Sonic the Hedgehog series).

There’s an Amiga game loosely inspired Cameltry called Bob’s Bad Day, but honestly it’s not particularly great by modern standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                  Bob’s Bad Day,
                  That looks hilarious. I like how the magician takes Bob's head off and you have to move his head around the levels. He certainly is having a bad day.

I would never have imagined that Psygnosis published it. Crazy box art that suits the game perfectly.

Comment

absolutely none at all. The only reason the camel is there is because of the games name.

Comment

All I can think of is interlinking the words "camel" and "try". You might "try" a fair bit in this but camels?????

Comment

All I can think of is interlinking the words "camel" and "try". You might "try" a fair bit in this but camels?????

It's evil 'subliminal' messaging to get gamers hooked on Camel cigarettes.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

It's evil 'subliminal' messaging to get gamers hooked on Camel cigarettes.
                          too right. Taito must have had stocks in the company.

Comment

Talking about subliminal messages and Camel Cigarettes, did you know there's supposed to be a hidden skull and jumping lion?

Oh and this...

NSFW

Comment

I decided to seek out a copy of the DS game mentioned at the beginning of the video.

Comment

Possibly the very first arcade game to ever have a celebrity endorsement. this is Teddy Boy Blues.

Comment

Working...
                                X