Desert Island Games: Choose 5 retro games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    But maybe you'd regret not having Harmful Park to cheer you up with its crazy design?
    I didn’t want two shooters, and as much as I love harmful Park, my three contenders will always be soldier blade, r-type and spriggan. Soldier Blade is just seriously ingrained in to my gaming life though, and is miles ahead of anything else for me at a personal level.

Comment

1) Souky - The best shooter ever made and the best ever game too.

2) Outrun - The music and gameplay just don't age.

3) Castlevania IV - Not matter how many times I play this game, it never gets old and the music is like a fine wine and just gets better with age.

4) Ghost N Ghouls (MD) I play this game ever year and its still feels great to play and I love it.

5) GTA V The game is nuts and always great fun to play.

Comment

Is GTAV retro???

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
          Is GTAV retro???
          No, Current gen version

Comment

1. Megaman 5 (NES)
            2. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (PS2)
            3. Virtua Fighter 4 Evo (PS2)
            4. Gradius 5 (PS2)
            5. Devil May Cry 3 SE (PS2)

I would swap out SF and VF for the 360 versions of SFIV and VF5 if they're considered retro enough. Either way there's enough here to keep me going for years, and even then I don't think I would be as good at these games as some people are already.

Comment

Goemon, shame on you for suggesting SFIV > 3S!

Can we play online? If so then PSO would be all I need.

Assuming we can’t:

Frontier Elite 2 - with an entire universe to explore and a genuine sandbox ‘go anywhere, do anything’ game mechanic, I can’t ever see myself getting bored of this

Tetris - great shout from some of the previous posts. Has to be the GB version, natch.

Shenmue I & II - can I include both as one game? If ever I feel a bit captive by my surroundings, at least these two chapters (I won’t say games else they won’t count as one) will allow me to experience rural Japan and Hong Kong respectively. Plus collecting gotcha gotchas and practising karate moves in an empty car park never gets old.

ESP Ra-De - probably my favourite shmup, and with all that time to kill, why not learn how to play like a pro?

Legends of Valour - this is my left field choice. Wanted an RPG but figured even Chrono Trigger must grow tiresome at some point, so why not go for a Western that has much more replay value. I loved this game BitD as it was truly groundbreaking. I’m sure Bethesda must’ve took inspiration from this and Ultima Underworld.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post

I haven't picked any story-based games, in case I got stuck and didn't have the internet to find a walkthrough.
                Yeah, story games that have infuriating puzzles could drive someone mad.

Originally posted by randombs View Post

2) Outrun 2006 C2C (Xbox) - for the music. And the powersliding. And the lovely courses
                I could easily put it on my list, as it's not only a thrilling racing experience, but also really uplifting.

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                Zelda LTTP - SNES
                If I had to take an RPG, it would definitely be LTTP. It's one of few RPGs that really captivated me.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Soldier Blade is just seriously ingrained in to my gaming life though, and is miles ahead of anything else for me at a personal level.
                Based on your reasoning, I should have chosen Axelay. It's the shooter I've played the most -- and it never fails to remind me why I love gaming.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                1) Souky - The best shooter ever made and the best ever game too.
                It's easily in my Top 10 shooters. A stunning game in all areas.

3) Castlevania IV - Not matter how many times I play this game, it never gets old and the music is like a fine wine and just gets better with age.
                Yeah, it ages beautifully. It never fails to impress me with its haunting atmosphere and brilliant music.

5) GTA V The game is nuts and always great fun to play.
                Seeing I said "retro games" -- I'd let you have GTA on the PS1.

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                2. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (PS2)

4. Gradius 5 (PS2)
                Two games that I'd have plenty of time to master if I were stuck on a desert island.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

Shenmue I & II - can I include both as one game?
                I'd let you have both for the Dreamcast.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                  Goemon, shame on you for suggesting SFIV > 3S!
                  Actually I'd go for that, but that's for the same reason I'd pick Capcom vs SNK2 over either of them; the sheer wealth of characters and options. I love Third Strike in normal contexts, but not on a desert island

Comment

I get the feeling that this desert island is just a sand pit in your back gardens. Any minute now mum or dad will come out and tell you to stop playing your silly games and come back inside for your tea.

Comment

I didn’t realise there were so many 3S fans here. We should really arrange some games on Fightcade! I’m a Hugo main but also like to play as Remy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                        I get the feeling that this desert island is just a sand pit in your back gardens..

Made me think of Rimmer.

Comment

I am hoping that another person gets stranded too to play some of these classics.

1) Crazy Taxi (DC)
                          2) Capcom vs SNK 2 (DC)
                          3) Sensi world of soccer 95/96 (Amiga)
                          4) Micro machines 96 (MD)
                          5) FF7 (PSX)

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                            3) Sensi world of soccer 95/96 (Amiga)
                            That's the only game on my list that is a 'must-have'. I'd never get bored of playing it.

Comment

Mine;

1: Galaxian Arcade
                              2: Asteroids Arcade
                              3: Gran Turismo PlayStation Japanese version
                              4:House of the Dead 2 Dreamcast
                              5: Tekken 3 PlayStation

Comment

[MENTION=2587]samanosuke[/MENTION] good shout on Frontier. Waiting for my furia 68020 accelerator for my A600 then I’m all over this. Only ever played it on a stick A500 back in the day. Looking forward to playing it at 12x the frame rate!

Comment

Working...
                                X