Bungie and Activision parting ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bungie and Activision parting ways

Hopefully it means good things for Destiny 3 but I semi-imagine they'd be better making something new. Well, if they don't sell themselves to EA next and get shut down

Comment

They’ll be bought by Sony next week.

Comment

Or Microsoft to keep Destiny on Xbox like with Halo.

Comment

I wouldn't mind betting Ubisoft will do a publishing deal, given their love of massive open world Online games

Comment

Microsoft or EA will buy them. Either way we will never see a game from them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              Microsoft or EA will buy them. Either way we will never see a game from them again.
              Can't see that myself, since the Team thought hard for their independence. Ubisoft fit their style with these huge open online games run of the servers
              Last edited by Team Andromeda; 11-01-2019, 08:06.

Comment

I always thought it would go the other way and Activision would buy out the Destiny licence from Bungie and bring it in-house. It does create many questions; such as how will Bungie finance itself? Will it concentrate on it's new Netease partnership and abandon Destiny in the short-term? Etc. etc.

Initial reaction is like that of the staff (who apparently cheered apparently on hearing the news) that this creates great possibilities. An independant Bungie could create greatness. Destiny was always constrained by the contract with Activision. That said they could also disappear quickly if they don't find long-term funding. I assume they have some profits in the bank plus the Netease money may need loans to survive.

Comment

So long as Bungie can free itself of the Activision corporate model. It would be nice to think that all the bad parts of Destiny were due to Activision's influence, but I'm not holding my breath for Bungie becoming another CD Projekt Red, especially if they're beholden to Netease's money (but it is something I'd like to see happen as this would be a really good thing for gaming).

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    So long as Bungie can free itself of the Activision corporate model. It would be nice to think that all the bad parts of Destiny were due to Activision's influence, but I'm not holding my breath for Bungie becoming another CD Projekt Red, especially if they're beholden to Netease's money (but it is something I'd like to see happen as this would be a really good thing for gaming).

I give it a week before Destiny is palmed off to an outside studio for stewardship, with a big showy announcement about some mobile crap for netease following.

People always blamed Activision for Destinys problems, truth is its just Bungie cant organise anything or carry on any good ideas they create in a consistent manner.

Comment

I expect Bungie to plummet pretty fast, then come bouncing back to Activision...

#dadjokes101

Comment

It's a hard one, EA would be an appalling home for Bungie and self-publishing... not sure that will work out for them. One of the troubles is that Bungie is talented but have an air of the outdated about their design, outside of Destiny I'd be curious how much they have to give. Destiny itself is still fairly big but it's at risk of decline after years of debacle and so it's hard to work out how much time other companies would give it when you factor in other studios they've watched go under.

Deep Silver or THQ Nordic are pretty relaxed publishers but like Ubisoft, they'd want a level of ownership Bungie will never go for. Sony would be an ironic home and has proven itself to be perfectly happy to let a studio burn money and resources for years without putting much of value out *coughpolyphony* but it's again an unlikely movie. I don't know, they may strike publishing deals as they go along but ultimately... maybe the beginning of the end especially if Destiny 3 falters.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          It's a hard one, EA would be an appalling home for Bungie and self-publishing... not sure that will work out for them. One of the troubles is that Bungie is talented but have an air of the outdated about their design, outside of Destiny I'd be curious how much they have to give. Destiny itself is still fairly big but it's at risk of decline after years of debacle and so it's hard to work out how much time other companies would give it when you factor in other studios they've watched go under.

Deep Silver or THQ Nordic are pretty relaxed publishers but like Ubisoft, they'd want a level of ownership Bungie will never go for. Sony would be an ironic home and has proven itself to be perfectly happy to let a studio burn money and resources for years without putting much of value out *coughpolyphony* but it's again an unlikely movie. I don't know, they may strike publishing deals as they go along but ultimately... maybe the beginning of the end especially if Destiny 3 falters.
                          Yup. They have continually and consistently missed deadlines and dlc dates on basically every project they have every worked on. Destiny 2 has been propped up by another studio doing the grunt work of development from base D2 up to the latest dlc. That's not to mention just how wrong Bungie got basically everything on D2, its a fun, but complete mess of a game that disregards every good idea hard earned from D1.

Question is, why WOULD anyone pick them up and hand over money?

1000 people working there, what they hell are they all doing if other studios did the bulk of dev on base D2 and all the expansions?
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 12-01-2019, 14:27.

Comment

It feels a little like Bungie is still drunk on Halo 1 success, they wrestle away from MS and think it'll be sunshine and gumdrops. Then sign up with Activision and once again think unicorns and moonbeams await. Like a constant struggle for freedom where their publishing partner is always the issue. They may have cheered when they split from Activision but a lot of that 1000 staff are going to find themselves on the employment line in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              Question is, why WOULD anyone pick them up and hand over money?
                              Becuase they have a track record at making billion dollar franchises. They're aren't many companies in the world that can do that. Halo was one of Microsoft's most successful games series ever (if not the most important) commercially and critically. And with Destiny 1 and 2 both Activision and Bungie had great financial success.

However we don't have the detail on why Bungie or Activision cut ties now, or on what terms. We know the recent D2: Forsaken release hadn't met targets and it has been suggested there was a history of turbulence between the two parties.

All of that said last year NetEase invested $100m in Bungie. You don't get that if you're chumps.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              It feels a little like Bungie is still drunk on Halo 1 success, they wrestle away from MS and think it'll be sunshine and gumdrops. Then sign up with Activision and once again think unicorns and moonbeams await. Like a constant struggle for freedom where their publishing partner is always the issue. They may have cheered when they split from Activision but a lot of that 1000 staff are going to find themselves on the employment line in the near future.
                              Supposedly Jason Schreier's book on Bungie has similar scenes when they left Microsoft's ownership. I can imagine the employees may have faith in the leadership, get sick of making the same series or simply understand the ceiling may be much higher without Activision. Albeit with much more risk.

Also Bungie delivered several commercially and critically acclaimed games. Not one.

The flip side to this, is Activision have very few games that we know about. So will be interesting to see the impact here. And on the two in-house Studios (High Moon and Vicarious) that had worked on Destiny content. What of them now?

Activision's share price already down 6% and may make for more interesting financials results and shareholder calls.
                              Last edited by Digfox; 11-01-2019, 11:37.

Comment

Working...
                              X