Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
    Wasn't Final Fight for the SFC already out by then? Aside from the awesome music SOR looked pretty laughable compared to it. Tiny sprites with few frames of animation, 30fps (!!!!), and pretty basic backgrounds. It was clearly a rush job.
    I think final fight came before it. I do agree that SOR looks sad compared to final fight but in the long run it was more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
      Gauntlet has been done.
      Yep, a very long time ago.

Comment

As voted on by the subscribers, here is the remastered version of Battle of the Ports - Golden Axe. The original video was published way back on 17th November 2013 and was the 9th show in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          I do agree that SOR looks sad compared to final fight but in the long run it was more fun.
          Nope. SOR definitely isn't more fun that Final Fight. Not by a long shot.

Comment

It wasn't fun at all, both are the same in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              It’s more fun than the SFC version if you’re having to watch your mate play it rather than joining in 😂

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                It’s more fun than the SFC version if you’re having to watch your mate play it rather than joining in ��
                Both weren't good. Thank GOD for SOR II and Final Fight CD back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  Both weren't good. Thank GOD for SOR II and Final Fight CD back in the day
                  LOL.

Final Fight was revolutionary at the time and is rightly revered as a classic of the belt action genre now.

SOR is just a footnote.

Comment

LOL.

Final Fight was revolutionary at the time and is rightly revered as a classic of the belt action genre now.

SOR is just a footnote.
                    I'm on about the poor SNES port, not the Arcade game . I wouldn't call Final Fight revolutionary either . That must surely go to the likes of Renegade or Double Dragon

Comment

I'm on about the poor SNES port, not the Arcade game . I wouldn't call Final Fight revolutionary either . That must surely go to the likes of Renegade or Double Dragon
                      Final Fight is/was a clear quantum leap from the likes of Double Dragon and Renegade. That's revolutionary enough IMO.

The scrollers that came after were openly copying FF and not Double Dragon and/or Renegade, just like how the vast majority of one-on-one brawlers post-1991 were openly copying SFII and not Karate Champ from 1984.
                      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 31-05-2020, 14:39.

Comment

I'm not talking about the Arcade version. I'm on about the SFC one.

Comment

Final Fight is/was a clear quantum leap from the likes of Double Dragon and Renegade. That's revolutionary enough IMO.

The scrollers that came after were openly copying FF and not Double Dragon and/or Renegade, just like how the vast majority of one-on-one brawlers post-1991 were openly copying SFII and not Karate Champ from 1984.
                          Other than much better graphics , it's hard to see what was so revolutionary IMO.
                          The Arcade and Mega CD versions were class back in the day. The poor SNES port was on the other hand... Was anything but

Comment

Other than much better graphics , it's hard to see what was so revolutionary IMO.
                            The Arcade and Mega CD versions were class back in the day. The poor SNES port was on the other hand... Was anything but
                            Better graphics, better sound and IMO tighter gameplay and control mechanics - again, all of which have been emulated, especially by the SOR series.

I agree with you about the SNES ports being poor though.

I loved Final Fight CD back in the day but in retrospect it wasn't actually a true 1:1 port (developed by Sega and not by Capcom) despite being the best way for many in the West to play a version of FF near enough to the coin-op.

Comment

This week, a game I'm really bad at.

Comment

I've never heard of that. Looks like I haven't missed much.

Comment

Working...
                                X