No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the Amstrad version, it's one of the first games I tried when I fitted the usb drive to my 6128. Really enjoyed it back in the day.

Comment

C64 version was so-so and so were the reviews heh.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        This week, a game I'm really bad at.
        One of my favourite retro gems that has never got much recognition. I spent lots of time with the really nice Amstrad version back in the day -- such a playable game.

The catchy tune that plays throughout is imbedded in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          One of my favourite retro gems that has never got much recognition. I spent lots of time with the really nice Amstrad version back in the day -- such a playable game.

That tune will drive you crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

That tune was something special.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              That tune was something special.

Remember the crazy version of the tune found in Noby Noby Boy.

Comment

Haha oh christ knew it sounded familiar.

Comment

Super-late to the party here but some things I wanted to mention about Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighteron the PS1...

I had this back in the day, as the Saturn versions of the Vs fighters were never released here (though the Dreamcast later picked up some of them), and while it was certainly poorer than the Japanese Saturn versions, the UK versions of X-Men COTA and Marvel Super Heroes were botched PAL conversions too, so I guess we were picking from among a bad bunch.

I absolutely loved it, for all its flaws. I had relatively little to compare it to, as I only got to play X-Men Vs. at a theme park, once. The tag feature being missing was a pain, but the biggest issue with this was that they didn't change the end bosses, so the Cyber-Akuma boss is incredibly difficult (you effectively have half as much health as you should have). I think I only completed it a handful of times.

Ironically enough, due to the reasons I mentioned above, the original PS1 version in the UK is among the more expensive PS1 games; I've seen it go for over £150. Shows the strength of the collector market, because in 2020, a bad conversion of an arcade game has no inherent value other than to a collector.
                  Last edited by Asura; 13-06-2020, 09:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Ironically enough, due to the reasons I mentioned above, the original PS1 version in the UK is among the more expensive PS1 games; I've seen it go for over £150. Shows the strength of the collector market, because in 2020, a bad conversion of an arcade game has no inherent value other than to a collector.
                    When the AES version of Legend of Success Joe is being put up on eBay for almost a grand, take nothing for granted. Who’d honestly pay that much for such a turd?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                      When the AES version of Legend of Success Joe is being put up on eBay for almost a grand, take nothing for granted. Who’d honestly pay that much for such a turd?
                      I think I paid around £50 for mine and winced at that.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        When the AES version of Legend of Success Joe is being put up on eBay for almost a grand,
                        I guess Riding Hero costs around two grand.

Comment

Can you believe it has taken this long?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                            Can you believe it has taken this long?
                            About time -- I love the original Sonic. Such a beautiful game.

Comment

It didn't beat Mario for gameplay, but it smashed it and all SNES games for graphics and speed at the time, even the music was amazing and better than most SNES games. It was incredible at the time, the Game Gear version was really good too

Comment

15 million in sales. I think it was released in the summer of 1991 although not sure maybe it was the distinct blue sky in games feel and sunny disposition of green hill zone. Really distinct visual title that made the Megadrive look fantastic. The first version is probably still the best or at least the most memorable.

Actually, how well regarded is Sonic 4 from a few years ago? Looks pretty impressive.

A great inexplicable video game crime that a powerhouse 2D version was never produced ground up for the Saturn.

The wiki is pretty spot on with regards to this title's genesis [pun intended]

Nakayama recognized that Sega needed a star character in a game that could demonstrate the power of the Genesis's hardware.[1] An internal contest was held to determine a flagship game and company mascot, with a specific focus on the American audience.[4] Among the various teams working on proposals were artist Naoto Ohshima and programmer Yuji Naka. The gameplay of Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) originated with a tech demo created by Naka, who had developed an algorithm that allowed a sprite to move smoothly on a curve by determining its position with a dot matrix. Naka's prototype was a platform game that involved a fast-moving character rolling in a ball through a long winding tube.Sega management accepted the duo's project and they were joined by designer Hirokazu Yasuhara.

After Yashura joined Naka and Ohshima, their focus shifted to the protagonist, who Sega hoped could become its mascot. The protagonist was initially a rabbit able to grasp objects with prehensile ears, but the concept proved too complex for available hardware. The team moved on to animals that could roll into a ball, and eventually settled on Sonic, a teal hedgehog created by Ohshima. Naka's prototype was then fleshed out with Ohshima's character design and levels conceived by Yasuhara. Sonic's color was chosen to match Sega's cobalt blue logo, and his shoes evolved from a design inspired by Michael Jackson's boots; the red and white shoe color was inspired by Santa Claus and the cover of Jackson's 1987 album Bad. His personality was based on Bill Clinton's "can-do" attitude. The antagonist, Doctor Eggman, was another character Ohshima had designed for the contest. The development team thought the abandoned design was excellent and retooled the character into a villain
                                Last edited by CAPCOM; 21-06-2020, 14:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X