No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you were right, weaker Man U team and a Foxes victory!
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      Yup, great result for Leicester, will certainly allow you to unclench your cheeks a bit after the previous two results

You'll be liking Man Utd even more if they play a stronger team against Liverpool on Thursday and beat them.

Should be a nice boost going into the cup final too. I hope you beat Chelsea as a win for them means they go one ahead of Spurs in FA Cup wins (the horror!), and also, well, just because they're Chelsea!

Edit: Ah, Chelsea vs Arsenal tonight. Come on Chelsea! What? No, I'd never say a bad word about you...

Edit 2: Hmm, Chelsea didn't believe me! Although it leaves Arsenal closer than I’d like, Chelsea losing does mean we can finish above them by one point if we win all our matches and they lose all theirs. Top four is back on!

Edit 3:
      Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
      Even if we win all three of our remaining games, if the teams above us (and Everton with their game in hand) don't drop points, it'd only be good enough to finish eighth. When it's so tight those three dropped points make a big difference.
      Well the Villa and Everton draw means that now we can update this to a mighty seventh.

Top four race takes another twist with Liverpool's win over Man Utd. The fact that Chelsea play Leicester gives them a really good chance of getting into the top four.

Chelsea are in the most danger, a draw or a loss in that match could leave them one or two points behind Liverpool with their fate out of their own hands on the final day. Leicester would still have their fate in their own hands with at least a draw, but would still need a win against us on the final day (or a draw if they managed to beat Chelsea).

And all that's assuming Liverpool don't drop points! Still expecting some more twists or turns before it's all wrapped up, although probably not the very large number of twists we'd need to see Spurs finish fourth
      Last edited by EJG1980; 14-05-2021, 09:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        And another one today, well done Leicester!

Thought it was going to be heartbreak for you with the last minute Chelsea equaliser, but toenail offside VAR came to the rescue

Beat Chelsea again on Tuesday to confirm top four and that's a fantastic season you'll have had.

Comment

Reiterate that ^ too. Well done - shows the Premiership win in 2015/16 was not just a one off freak occurrence and after a few mediocre seasons Leicester have slowly reinvented themselves to become cup winners and a serious top four contenders again.

Its where I'd hoped Spurs would be this season but it looks like even a Europa League* spot might be a skin of our teeth thing with the consequences of that not happening too unpleasant to consider.

*Forgot about the new "barrel scraping'" Europa Conference League which seventh place might qualify us for.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 16-05-2021, 14:42.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
            Its where I'd hoped Spurs would be this season but it looks like even a Europa League spot might be a skin of our teeth thing with the consequences of that not happening too unpleasant to consider.
            West Ham dropping points yesterday means that we now have it in our own hands to finish sixth. But we went into the match against Leeds with last week with teams ahead of us having dropped points and we saw how that turned out! Let's hope we can do a bit better this time actually take advantage against Wolves today.

Comment

So far so good against Wolves.

Comment

So far so good against Wolves.
                Good stuff, much needed win, up to sixth.

Well deserved, bar about six or seven minutes after we went 2-0 up we were on top throughout the match. Should have won by a few more goals (Kane hitting the woodwork twice, Dele hitting it once, two goal-line clearances by Wolves) but it was nice to see us on the front foot throughout the match and putting together some nice attacking moves.

Comment

Yep, great win and now up to 6th place.

I think now realistically 5th place is out of reach unless Liverpool hiccup so we have to hold on to 6th and the big advantage we have now is that WH, Everton and, sneaking into the mix, that other north London team , all have considerably worse goal difference.

However the chances of WH losing to West Brom is so unlikely we're going to have to beat both AV and Leicester unless unpredictable Southampton can do us a favour in WH's last game.

But it is in our hands now and not dependent on those other results.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 16-05-2021, 18:56.

Comment

Yup, would have had a semi-decentish sniff of 5th had West Brom held on for a point against Liverpool, but their winner (and as annoying as it was for us, it was amazing to see a goalkeeper heading in a last gasp goal) makes it very unlikely.

Although back in... 2015, we were in an identical situation with us four points behind Liverpool going into the final two matches, us 6th them 5th, they lost both, we won both, ended up snatching 5th from them on the final day. Don't see it happening this time though.

Huge match between Chelsea and Leicester on Tuesday. Really hoping for a Leicester win as that means they'll have top four assured and won't be going into the game against us needing anything. It'd also really heap the pressure on Chelsea as a draw or a loss for them could see Liverpool knock them out of the top four the following night.

As you say though, at least our fate is in our own hands, let's hope we can just render all the calculations moot by winning our final two matches and guarantee at least a sixth place finish. But us beating Villa and West Brom beating West Ham would be reaaaaalllly welcome!

Comment

Yeah COYS.

That Liverpool goal was indeed amazing. A great header from their goalkeeper.

So often you see them come up the pitch in similar circumstances, get nowhere near the ball or its simply a lousy corner kick and then they have to scoot back up the pitch ASAP to stop a last gasp attack from the opposition. Certainly went well for him and Liverpool this time.

Just thinking as a bit of joke a few weeks ago and that game reminded me: how about Sam Allardyce for Spurs manager? Maybe a no nonsense guy with more experience than Ryan Mason might be what Spurs need.

Comment

Just thinking as a bit of joke a few weeks ago and that game reminded me: how about Sam Allardyce for Spurs manager? Maybe a no nonsense guy with more experience than Ryan Mason might be what Spurs need.
                        Considering a number of our fans didn't even want Mourinho due to the style of football, and didn't care how much he'd won, I'm guessing that the fan reaction to replacing him with an equally pragmatic but trophy free manager would be... interesting, to say the least!

Almost makes me wish I could see into an alternate reality where it had happened, just to marvel at the fan and press reaction

Comment

I can see Leicester getting two draws to qualify for CL next season... how I think the games will play out. As for Liverpool's last two matches... no clue based on their lacklustre performance against West Brom.

Comment

A draw, I suspect, is not going to be enough for Spurs even if they beat Aston Villa the Leicester game is likely going to be a Europa League qualifier and 2021/2022 season defining one for Spurs.

I hope that is going to a huge motivation for them and if Leicester have all ready secured a CL place by then, which I think they will do, then they may not have the same degree of investment in the game.

Comment

Not looking like that so far, Chelsea 1-0 up and playing much better.

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
                                Still expecting some more twists or turns before it's all wrapped up, although probably not the very large number of twists we'd need to see Spurs finish fourth
                                Well that's accurate so far! Last night's result means that Spurs can no longer finish fourth, not that it was a very realistic possibility anyway.

Tough night for Leicester although CL qualification isn't quite out of their own hands: if Liverpool and Chelsea win their remaining matches, Leicester can still do it if they can beat us by enough to overturn Liverpool's goal difference lead. Of course, Chelsea and Liverpool throwing away points is the best scenario (especially Liverpool, as they're still behind Leicester at the moment).

As for us, the ideal night tonight is we beat Villa, Brom beat West Ham, and we go into the final day with top six and Europa League football guaranteed. At minimum we've got to beat Villa to keep our European fate in our own hands.

Comment

Working...
                                X